Never cruised from Port Everglades

liberty080208

We are booked to leave on Oasis 9/4. We have never cruised from Ft Lauderdale and looking for a hotel to stay in for a couple nights pre-cruise. Going to rent a car on 9/2 so we can drive around and probably return it either 9/3 or early cruise day. Any suggestions would be appreciated from cruisers who are experienced from FLL. We are open to take a taxi from the hotel to the port, but want to stay somewhere close to port. Thanks!.

Hi

We have stayed at a couple of hotels in the port area both pre and post cruise...but our favorite is The Embassy Suites on 17th Street. It is within walking distances to restaurants, drug stores, grocery stores, wine/liquor, etc. Also, there is a Trolley that runs right past the hotel that is really convenient...it will take you downtown to the beaches or you can go to Las Olas Blvd via the trolley. The trolley ride is only 50 cents or $1 per ride...I cant remember...but it is really cheap and a great means of transportation. It also comes by frequently...about every 30 minutes.

Here is a link to the Sun Trolley that includes a map...http://www.suntrolley.com/maplasolas/

Also, here is a link for the hotel....http://embassysuites1.hilton.com/en_US/es/hotel/FLLSOES-Embassy-Suites-Fort-Lauderdale-th-Street-Florida/index.do

Have a great time on your vacation wherever you end up staying!!

K

This is not what you asked, but just want to offer a suggestion to arrange ahead of time your cab service to take you from the ship to the airport at the completion of your cruise. We cruised once out of FLL & getting a cab was extremely difficult. Long line that had no order at all & the security personnel was very inefficient. This was the only port we have ever encountered this problem. I think I saw another thread on CC addressing this same problem. So, save yourself from aggrevation - have your ride all set.

A really nice property next to the port is Hyatt Pier 66. It is east of the big bridge on 17th St., and all the non-hotel restaurants in the area are west of the bridge, so having the car would be an advantage but not neccessary.

A good value hotel at the beach is Bahia Mar, close to the port also. It is close enough to beach area restaurants to walk.

This is not what you asked, but just want to offer a suggestion to arrange ahead of time your cab service to take you from the ship to the airport at the completion of your cruise. We cruised once out of FLL & getting a cab was extremely difficult. Long line that had no order at all & the security personnel was very inefficient. This was the only port we have ever encountered this problem. I think I saw another thread on CC addressing this same problem. So, save yourself from aggrevation - have your ride all set.

I concur... if there is a number of ships disembarking on the same morning (such as Sat or Sun) getting a taxi can be choatic. And the Oasis having double the number of passengers as other ships may just add to the confusion.

I would have to add my support to the Embassy Suites. IMHO, you would not have any need for a rental car if you stayed there, which might help offset the fact that it might be more expensive than some other options. We've also stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on 17th. It's clean and has their more limited breakfast, but no pool. My sister and brother-in-law stayed at the Extended Stay America, just next door to the HI Express. They said it was very basic, but fine for a night or two, and much better prices. The big bonus for all of these hotels are their location.

Not sure what the rates are for your time period, but we did our Fort Lauderdale hotel on Priceline and feel that we got a great deal on a lovely property...however we were sailing in March, so regular weekend rates were sky high. Check out the thread about Priceline winning bids and tips in betterbidding.

• 1 month later...
I would have to add my support to the Embassy Suites. IMHO, you would not have any need for a rental car if you stayed there, which might help offset the fact that it might be more expensive than some other options. We've also stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on 17th. It's clean and has their more limited breakfast, but no pool. My sister and brother-in-law stayed at the Extended Stay America, just next door to the HI Express. They said it was very basic, but fine for a night or two, and much better prices. The big bonus for all of these hotels are their location.

Hi,

I have a question about your booking Embassy Suites. Would you please email me at my screen name at live dot com? I'd like to get more information. Thanks.

Archived