What to do in Victoria British Columbia

Hi Everyone,

My DH and I are going on an Alaskan cruise w/RC in May and will be stopping in Victoria British Columbia. We're not really too interested in any of the shore excursions they're offering, and was wondering what else we could do if we decided to explore on our own. What is the city like?? Just to give you a little background I am 27 and he is 30, and we are both very adventurous people who do not like guided tours. We're totally down for walking around town ourselves, but just wondering if there is much to do and see there if we chose this option. Otherwise we're considering a wine/chocolate truffle tasting with self guided tour of some gardens. Thanks for your input! :D

Hi Everyone,

My DH and I are going on an Alaskan cruise w/RC in May and will be stopping in Victoria British Columbia. We're not really too interested in any of the shore excursions they're offering, and was wondering what else we could do if we decided to explore on our own. What is the city like?? Just to give you a little background I am 27 and he is 30, and we are both very adventurous people who do not like guided tours. We're totally down for walking around town ourselves, but just wondering if there is much to do and see there if we chose this option. Otherwise we're considering a wine/chocolate truffle tasting with self guided tour of some gardens. Thanks for your input! :D

How much time do you have in Victoria? it's a lovely city, with lots to explore. The city is somewhat 'old world' compared to a lot of Canada, as it's the Provincial Capital, and is older than Vancouver.

Victoria is a beautiful city to just walk around. We spent the weekend there a couple weeks back and just did touristy things in our own back yard. We walked around, went to the museum, the undersea place, miniature world toured the parliament buildings and just hung out. There are many things to do and there will be even more come cruise season. It will be lighter a lot later and I would assume your stop is 6pm-midnight? Bring your camera and just walk around you will come across something to do!

Just a suggestion - go back to the Canada forum (back button from here) and enter VIctoria in the

search function at the top of the page. There are 10 pages of threads about Victoria and

things to do here. Not knowing your interests makes it a little hard to make suggestions

here but you are sure to find a lot of useful information this way. You can then come back

to your thread with specific questions which many of us would be glad to help you with.

A couple of more unusual places to visit are the Dominion Astrophysical Observatory and Fort Rodd Hill, a google search will bring up a lot of detail about them, but they're rarely on any of the cruise line tours.

Archived