Cannes to Antibe, Cap Ferrat, Monte Carlo

medsailing

On a previous cruise (docked in Cannes) our family of 4 had a wonderful day with a private guide - visiting Eze, St. Paul de Vence, Monaco and Monte Carlo. Our drive back from Monte Carlo also included stops in between Villefranche and Nice. This June, (just my husband and myself) we'll be docking in Cannes again (8am-8pm). Our plan is to use the public transportation system and hope to have a relatively leisurely day. I'd like to spend a bit more time in Cannes, but also tour Antibe, Cap Ferrat and Monte Carlo. Would like to sit and have a drink/snack at one of the outdoor cafes there instead of just passing through and taking pictures (as we did first time round). Our preference is not to rent a car and drive ourselves. I'd appreciate suggestions on how to make the most of our time and where to head first etc.

Thanks

Marion

You have an ambitious plan for a port day, although it is possible. You need to consider that it takes about an hour (each way) to get to Monte Carlo from Cannes plus the time to get to the Cannes station and waiting time for a train. The Monte Carlo station is a bit out of the way on the edge of town so you would also spend some time using public transit within MC. As to Cap Ferrat, you will need to use a combination of the train plus local bus since the train line does not actually go out to the "Cap." Again, this is possible but does mean spending time waiting for the bus (I think the bus runs about every 15 min from the train). As to how to plan such a day, we would suggest you go to your furthest point early in the day which would be Monte Carlo. If you want to see the changing of the guard at the palace, you might want to first go to Cap Ferrat and then make sure you get to Monte Carlo by around 11 am so you have time to get up to the palace. Then you would take the train or bus back to Nice, and if you still have time you could take the train (or bus) to Antibes and finally back to Cannes. Your 8 pm departure means the last tender will probably be at 7:30, so you do have quite a lot of time. If we were doing this kind of day we would certainly want to be back in Cannes by 6. Now I will toss out another thought. Have you considered renting a car in Cannes and simply driving yourselves. A one day rental will cost you about $100 plus gas, but saves you the time waiting for public transit. A car also makes it easy to stop at Eze or even go to St Paul de Vence (you would probably need to eliminate some places like Monte Carlo to have time for this place). There are several rental car offices in Cannes that are about a 25 min walk from the tender pier (or a short taxi ride).

Hank

Archived