Stay in MCO & shuttle OR Rent car & Stay in Cape Canaveral??

tsb702

I don't know which to do! I am having a hard time deciding wether or not to stay near MCO and shuttle to the port or just rent a car at MCO and then drive and stay in Cape Canaveral. I verified there are free shuttles when you drop off your rental. What do you guys think? Share your experiences please. Thanks!:)

A lot of people like to rent a car and stay in Pt Canaveral because it's so easy to drop off their cars & get shuttled to the port.

You need to read the "I Work In Port Canaveral" thread here and you will get a world of info on everything regarding the area. A local lady named Shirley can give you the inside scoop and she's wonderful.

Hope this helps!!!

Drive to Cocoa Beach! Then, you can explore a little before you have to be at the Port.

It is a very easy drive from MCO to the port area (1 hr or less) - just take the Beeline Expressway east (have money for tolls, tho!) until you hit the Atlantic. You can take a drive north from the port area to the Kennedy Space Center (30 minutes), or you can drive south down A1A and visit ("world famous") Ron Jon's Surf Shop in Cocoa Beach (10 minutes) and then watch the surfers at the Cocoa Beach Pier. In MHO, the prettiest road in Brevard County is Indian River Drive, on the west side of the Indian River (10 minutes from the port) which you can take south thru Cocoa Village and down through Rockledge...stately old homes, winding road with moss-draped oaks, sailboats, pelicans... The Black Tulip and Cafe Margeaux in Cocoa Village are wonderful restaraunts... but I wax nostalgic for my old home town!

Or, you can just sleep in late, hang out on the beach and board at your leisure. Enjoy your cruise.

Hello...I know everyone has different tastes, etc....but since my wife and I want the simplest and less hectic pace once we arrive at the Orlando Airport, we have decided to to take the shuttle by BEACHLINE TRANSPORTATION from the airport to the Doubletree Hotel in Cocoa Beach.

It is only around $27.00 per person which we feel is a great bargain. We decided to stay at the Doubletree because it is right on the Atlantic and is a beautiful property. We can just relax on the beach at the ocean, at their pool, or relax in one of their lounges. We are going in April and got the room for $104.00 for the night before our cruise.

Then on cruise morning, we will take the shuttle from the hotel to the ship port for just $5.00 per person. This seems easy to us versus running around trying to rent a car, filling out paperwork, making sure the car has a full tank of gas or we get charged over $7.00 a gallon. This also avoids taking the cruise lines transfers where it is always crowded, hectic and confusing.

We will be staying in Cocoa Beach both pre and post cruise and had a shuttle arranged and then found we could get a rental car from Budget for about $40-$45 one way. That was less expensive than the shuttle and it will give us the ability to drive around and eat supper at some of the wonderful establishments in Cocoa Beach without having the cost of a taxi. We will also be touring Kennedy Space Center as soon as we get off the ship and wanted to be on our own schedule. I used the code Y937800 for Budget to get the discounted rate. Good luck and have lots of fun!!!

• 2 weeks later...
I was wondering how far Budget rental is to the ports. Will they bring you back to the airport if you return your car the night before you take off on your cruise? I am staying at the radison??

Budget is about 1 1/2 mi from the port. They won't bring you back to the airport, since that's a 45 min drive and they want you to rent cars, not shuttle you.

The last time we left, we had a late flight, so we rented a car to go back to the airport too. Then we were able to buzz around Orlando for awhile. Dropping off the car at both locations was very easy.

So sorry on my response. I ment bring you to the port. not the airport. I must be loosin it with old age. Thanks your your reply. Budget has a great promotion code that I read about in earlier posts. Y937800. this was the cheapest rate that I could find. I think we are just going to go with a limo service. My husband is scared of the hassle of renting a car.

So sorry on my response. I ment bring you to the port. not the airport. I must be loosin it with old age. Thanks your your reply. Budget has a great promotion code that I read about in earlier posts. Y937800. this was the cheapest rate that I could find. I think we are just going to go with a limo service. My husband is scared of the hassle of renting a car.

I just did the rental car thing with Budget in December. Truely, it's easy, peasey:D No fuss, no muss and you have the flexibility to go at your own pace. Budget is right on the main drag, so you can't miss it and they're super nice.

Tell your DH to chill and let you take care of the arrangements;):D

• 2 months later...

First, a few corrections to another post: the Beeline Expressway is now called the Beachline and there is only 1 toll, not like in the old days where you stopped for a toll every few miles :)

Twice, including a few months ago, I have rented from Avis at MCO. Go online and sign up for the free Preferred Membership. By doing this you give all your info online, and reserve your car. When you land in MCO, collect your bags and go right out to the Avis area in the parking garage. Find your name on the large screen, it will have a parking space listed next to your name. Your car is waiting with the keys in the ignition and all the paperwork. Just show it to the attendant as you exit the garage. Exit the airport onto the Beachline Expressway and drive straight to Cocoa Beach. One toll on the way, they have the high speed tolls and the Avis cars are equipped with a transponder. Drive on through! They bill you maybe $5 for the toll.

On the morning of your cruise, top off the gas tank and bring the car to the Avis office, just a few miles south of the port. They shuttle you right to your ship. Could not be easier!

Be sure to Google 'Avis Fare Codes' for a good code. There's even a code for Walmart shoppers - whether or not you want to claim that one is up to you :D

Could Not Be Easier.

If you have a flight early in the day upon your return, I suggest a shuttle ride from Travelynx, way better than the ships bus IMHO!

First, a few corrections to another post: the Beeline Expressway is now called the Beachline and there is only 1 toll, not like in the old days where you stopped for a toll every few miles :)

Twice, including a few months ago, I have rented from Avis at MCO. Go online and sign up for the free Preferred Membership. By doing this you give all your info online, and reserve your car. When you land in MCO, collect your bags and go right out to the Avis area in the parking garage. Find your name on the large screen, it will have a parking space listed next to your name. Your car is waiting with the keys in the ignition and all the paperwork. Just show it to the attendant as you exit the garage. Exit the airport onto the Beachline Expressway and drive straight to Cocoa Beach. One toll on the way, they have the high speed tolls and the Avis cars are equipped with a transponder. Drive on through! They bill you maybe $5 for the toll.

On the morning of your cruise, top off the gas tank and bring the car to the Avis office, just a few miles south of the port. They shuttle you right to your ship. Could not be easier!

Be sure to Google 'Avis Fare Codes' for a good code. There's even a code for Walmart shoppers - whether or not you want to claim that one is up to you :D

Could Not Be Easier.

If you have a flight early in the day upon your return, I suggest a shuttle ride from Travelynx, way better than the ships bus IMHO!

On your return, were you picked up at port, taken to their office to get the car and be on your merry way? We have always driven to PC. We have moved from GA to northern KY and are flying. Renting cars, etc. is new to me.

Archived