Calling Home?

Emmieooo

I had planned on bringing a prepaid phone card to call home when Im in Nassau. We have a toddler that were leaving at Grandmas and this was my chance to check in. But Ive been reading that you can only use a bahamian phone card that you buy at port. Anyone have any info on this? Also if this is my only way to use a phone that isnt my cellphone. How much time to the US do you get for your money. Thanks for any info.

I had planned on bringing a prepaid phone card to call home when Im in Nassau. We have a toddler that were leaving at Grandmas and this was my chance to check in. But Ive been reading that you can only use a bahamian phone card that you buy at port. Anyone have any info on this? Also if this is my only way to use a phone that isnt my cellphone. How much time to the US do you get for your money. Thanks for any info.

Buy a phone card when you get to the bahamas .. they sell them everywhere.. and usi it from a pay phone.. There are plenty in the port area.

Cards are sold in $5, $10 and $20 denominations. About $.40 cents a minutes last I used one.

Scubagirrl, are the phones in or near Festival Place? We want to call one of the hotels once we get into port. Will they take US coins? How much for a local call?

There's a phone bank near festival place. They take US coins, but I don't know what a local call goes for these days.

• 2 weeks later...

We had trouble using our AT&T prepaid long distance card at the cellphones at the port terminal in Nassau on Tuesday, March 30th...then again, I think it was more a problem with the user (me) than with the card.

The phones inside the building have a number of buttons on them for direct service with foreign carriers...first problem was I misread the label and pressed the button for "AT&T Canada" (which went out of business many years ago)...figured out my problem and then correctly pressed "USA Direct". After it rings and connects to AT&T and it asks you to "please dial the number you are calling"...according to the instructions I read online after I got home, you're then supposed to dial the "1-888" access number for YOUR prepaid card, but leaving out the first "1"...I think my mistake was I dialed the full "1-888" number. So, I couldn't get it to work...but it's supposed to.

I had a similar challenge using this same card this week from Canada...online the instructions were to first dial an access number...but the 1-888 number of the back of the card worked! Seems these things do work, but require a bit of trial and error the first time.

Perhaps someone else here has successfully used an AT&T prepaid card, or another US card, from Nassau...

Archived