Can men wear jeans with a nice shirt on casual nights?

I booked a 3 day cruise to the Bahamas on the Majest of the Seas on 5/7/10 for my boyfriend's birthday and it's a surprise - so trying to figure out if I have to go out and buy pants for him, cause I know that he has jeans and he has a suit but I have never seen him in khakis or anything like that.

Never been on RCL before - looked on the website and didn't see anything about "no jeans" but when I called and asked the gentleman on the phone told me we would not be allowed in the main dining room in jeans.

But of course, reading the other threads, I see people talking about people dressed in jeans, so starting to wonder...

Depsite what anyone might tell you, you can wear jeans and a T-shirt to the MDR any night of the week, including formal night if that's what you want to do. RCI suggests what you should wear but there are no rules other than no bare feet, no tank tops and no shorts. Even shorts are debatable as I've seen a couple wearing shorts for dinner in the MDR once.

Never been on RCL before - looked on the website and didn't see anything about "no jeans" but when I called and asked the gentleman on the phone told me we would not be allowed in the main dining room in jeans.

But of course, reading the other threads, I see people talking about people dressed in jeans, so starting to wonder...

Can he? Sure. But do you think that what he wants to present himself as the best he owns for casual wear?

Dinner on casual nights is usually just country club attire. He may not want to look like he's the car hop.

Can he? Sure. But do you think that what he wants to present himself as the best he owns for casual wear?

Dinner on casual nights is usually just country club attire. He may not want to look like he's the car hop.

Oh just stop it

STOP IT !

Let him and others wear what they want, it will in no way affect you or others.

Let him and others wear what they want.

In this instance, he's not making that decision. I know I wouldn't want "others" to pack for me after getting some "bad" advice.

I STILL don't let my wife pack for me. And this doesn't affect you.

I know! It's killing me! And there isn't even any one on the roll call for our sailing (I had figured I could talk about the trip on CC and it would keep me from spilling the secret)~

I believe they only have ship-sponsored M&Ms for cruises that are 7days or longer. You can always plan an informal M&M....go to the site and start a thread for your cruise. There are probably others that would love to meet.

Have a great cruise!

In this instance, he's not making that decision. I know I wouldn't want "others" to pack for me after getting some "bad" advice.

I STILL don't let my wife pack for me. And this doesn't affect you.

I'd venture a guess that his wife has MUCH better taste than you, so you should probably just stay out of it.

For the record, that IS my casual attire, and I know a lot about style, fashion and taste. I'm guessing you don't.

I'd venture a guess that his wife has MUCH better taste than you, so you should probably just stay out of it.

For the record, that IS my casual attaire, and I know a lot about style, fashion and taste. I'm guessing you don't.

Sounds like you're now talking about me. :rolleyes:

The OP is looking for advice and opinions. I have given mine.

Let her decide what she will do from the advice she is being given. Only she knows her man.

I just got off Mariner and I am here to tell you, you will see everything from shorts and tees to formal on ALL nights of your cruise. Really. I do adhere to suggested dress codes but there were plenty who didn't. My DH didn't even do it; which I will say, pissed me off! I was dressed to the nines on formal nights and he wore a sport coat, shirt, no tie, slacks. We just didn't match well for pics. I really wasn't bothered about the varying degrees of dress at all. It didn't affect me. I was comfortable with my choices and that's all that mattered to me. The only time I thought I would be mad was when I saw a guy show up in shorts and ripped tee with a baseball cap on formal night. He was clearly trying to make a statement of "I don't give a hoot!" I initially thought "what an ass!" and that they should suggest he go to the windjammer. But no one said anything he sat there among all others like it was nothing. So, I decided to have a drink (or a few ;)) and then I let it go and never saw him again. Big deal. It didn't ruin my night for sure. So I say, c'est la vie!

To all those who say "I don't bring jeans, they're are too heavy..." NONSENSE! The ships are cold! Especially at dinner after being in the sun all day. If you like your jeans, BRING THEM!!! We wear jeans here in AZ all year long. Yes, even in the summer (inside). All places, like the ships, are air conditioned. Caribbean, Mexico, it doesn't really matter where you are if it is cool inside!

I just got off Mariner and I am here to tell you, you will see everything from shorts and tees to formal on ALL nights of your cruise. Really. I do adhere to suggested dress codes but there were plenty who didn't. My DH didn't even do it; which I will say, pissed me off! I was dressed to the nines on formal nights and he wore a sport coat, shirt, no tie, slacks. We just didn't match well for pics. I really wasn't bothered about the varying degrees of dress at all. It didn't affect me. I was comfortable with my choices and that's all that mattered to me. The only time I thought I would be mad was when I saw a guy show up in shorts and ripped tee with a baseball cap on formal night. He was clearly trying to make a statement of "I don't give a hoot!" I initially thought "what an ass!" and that they should suggest he go to the windjammer. But no one said anything he sat there among all others like it was nothing. So, I decided to have a drink (or a few ;)) and then I let it go and never saw him again. Big deal. It didn't ruin my night for sure. So I say, c'est la vie!

To all those who say "I don't bring jeans, they're are too heavy..." NONSENSE! The ships are cold! Especially at dinner after being in the sun all day. If you like your jeans, BRING THEM!!! We wear jeans here in AZ all year long. Yes, even in the summer (inside). All places, like the ships, are air conditioned. Caribbean, Mexico, it doesn't really matter where you are if it is cool inside!

NOT IN THE DINING ROOMS___NOT ALLOWED AND I HEARD THEY ARE ENFORCING THIS RULE. If you want to wear jeans go to the casual dining areas.

we have been on 35 Royal Caribbean cruises and my husband has worn jeans many times in the dining room with a golf shirt, never an issue, we do the buffet on formal nights. Wear what makes you comfortable and have a great cruise

NOT IN THE DINING ROOMS___NOT ALLOWED AND I HEARD THEY ARE ENFORCING THIS RULE. If you want to wear jeans go to the casual dining areas.

Sorry, not true. We were just on Radiance and we saw a lot of folks in the dining room (men and women) wearing "nice" jeans with polo-type shirts. We also saw shorts in the dining room at dinner. And this was just two weeks ago.

And speaking of dress code, we were on the 10-night sailing which had 2 formal nights. I don't think I saw more than a half-dozen men in tuxedos either formal night. Fewer and fewer people are choosing to really dress up. As long as airlines are charging for checked bags, I believe we will see more and more casual wear on board ship.

Karen

And speaking of dress code, we were on the 10-night sailing which had 2 formal nights. I don't think I saw more than a half-dozen men in tuxedos either formal night.

We just did an 11 night Radiance cruise in February with two formal nights. We like to dress up and we were quite pleased to see that well over half the people on the ship dressed formally on both nights.

Isn't that the truth. The MDR is usually like a meat locker, it's so cold. We live in the California High Desert and I don't find jeans any hotter to wear than other pants, and they always look a lot better than those dreadful Dockers.:D

The only folks who get their knickers in a knot over this issue are the "Clothes Police" who post on these boards. They just can not accept the fact that some folks will not dress to their standards.

I have never worn jeans in the MDR, but then again I don't get upset over what others choose to wear. It does not impact me in the least.

You're in Pa and the ship leaves from Miami, so what is the ploy to get him to Miami and still not tell him about the cruise?

well, he knows we are doing something - since he had to request the time off work...but he won't know where we're going and what we're doing til we get there! i'm actually almost happy that we have a connecting flight, cause that is going to confuse him even more (he'll wonder why we're going to charlotte, NC) :)

Regarding preference - my assumption is that he doesn't prefer khakis as I have only seen one pair (which he dug out for our last cruise and were subsequently ruined in the wash which I was thankful for cause they were horrid) and he wears jeans most of the time. I am going on the assumption that if he wanted/liked khakis he would have purchased some - though perhaps he simply hasn't had a reason to. But I would prefer NOT to have to go out and buy pants for him that he may or may not like if the "no jeans" thing isn't a hard and fast rule.

BOY DID YOU HEAR WRONG.

They have never enforced a rule that does not exist. Jeans have been allowed in the dining room on every cruise we've been on. Our very first cruise in 2002 had a cowboy wearing his Sunday best hat, shined boots, rodeo shirt and pressed straight leg jeans on formal night.

You may shout it all you want. It still does not make it true.

Other than on Cruise Critic, where is this rule posted so that I can read it for myself?:confused:

It's etched deep within the the corners of his 1930's mind. The golden days of first class steamliner ocean voyages are long gone. He just hasn't realized it yet.

We just did an 11 night Radiance cruise in February with two formal nights. We like to dress up and we were quite pleased to see that well over half the people on the ship dressed formally on both nights.

Our last cruise was in January on Oasis. I was very disappointed that I was a rare man in a tux. Most were wearing everyday suits. If I'm going to be the last man standing in a tux I'm begining to think maybe I'll just pack a couple of suits, dress shirts and ties. At least I'll have little more variety than I presently have with my tux and, they're a little easier to pack.

Then again, it's just hard not to pack the tux. Even if it's just me. ;)

I always look at this issue a certain way.

What would I wear to a better restaurant in town?

I prefer to dress up on occasion but perhaps the only reason is that I don't get to wear my nice suits daily as I work out of the house.

OTOH, if somebody wants to wear shorts and t-shirt to the the same restaurant, I really don't care.

It's how I feel about what I'm wearing and more importantly seeing my georgous woman in a beautiful , sexy outfit. It's not about what John or Bob or Jane are wearing few tables away....

I believe most cruise lines gave up on enforcing the "dress requirement" long time ago, as soon as they started building mega-ships that need to have thousands of staterooms filled, week after week....

The old days of luxury travel for the rich only and their need to show off is long gone.

I have flown in first class on many of the best international airlines. The service, suites and food is still outstanding but trust me when I tell you that "glamour about traveling up front"" has been long gone. These days most travelers just want to be comfortable, whatever that means to the individual, not some fashion police ;)

I don't generally think jeans are appropriate for the main dining room, but some people do wear them. I don't recall anyone ever posting that they had been turned away for wearing jeans, and as you say, they are not specifically mentioned as being prohibited. So, if he wants to wear jeans, he can get away with it.

I always wear a suit on formal nights and dockers most other nights but I tried to wear jeans once. I was on the Ncl Pride of Aloha and they had me change my pants in order to enter the dining room. No big deal though. NCL is still my favorite cruise line to date. Going on my first RCI cruise in May so we will see how it goes.

Back to the Op. I have seen a lot of jeans in the MDR on all nights so I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think I just caught someone on a bad night. Lol!

Archived