Hand Luggage On Cruises

Hello All and Good Evening

It must be that time of night when I get to thinking :confused: haha - no sarcastics comments - you know who you are !! :eek:

Well I have been on a couple of cruises, but never taken much in the way of hand luggage - just normally take a small shoulder bag!

Now a last month I bought a travel luggage bag (suitable for cabin) as I was going into hospital for a major op - but got to thinking that it would do for my cruises too.

Its the faffing about I have problems with - unzipping and zipping just to get out your tickets and passports etc .... then dont fancy carrying 2 cases around - although saying that, wouldnt be for long, as I always check-in as soon as I get to the airport.

Must admit, the travel case would come in handy as I like to party, and without a change of clothes for the following day, would not be able to do this on the last night ;)

So, what does everyone else do or suggest for cruises ?

:D

After spending many years as ground staff at the airport, the sizes vary and their quote of 'cabin baggage' sometimes is only applicable for certain airlines as all luggage guages vary. Just a heads up incase you stumble upon this in the future.

After spending many years as ground staff at the airport, the sizes vary and their quote of 'cabin baggage' sometimes is only applicable for certain airlines as all luggage guages vary. Just a heads up incase you stumble upon this in the future.

Yes, I do appreciate this Thank You, but it is the same size as my mum's, if a little smaller, and she has had no problems, and been on so many cruises, I have lost count.

I will be flying with Thomsons, so how can I find out for definate? :confused:

Hi the maximum size you can take is 55 x 45 x 25 cm. as hand luggage.

I had bought some, but then found they were smaller than we can take.

So sod it, we are taking the bigger ones. :D:D

Berwyn

I will have to get this measured, just to be safe. I do have a smaller one, which is more of a vanity size (kind of oval) but unsure if I would get my shoes in, as they have 5 inch heels :eek:

Bubbles 40 wrote

"Must admit, the travel case would come in handy as I like to party, and without a change of clothes for the following day, would not be able to do this on the last night ;)"

My experience of Spirit earlier this month was that most ladies, save their best dress (other than formal) for the last night, as it tends to be very party atmosphere.

We found no problems with change of clothes, as our main cases did not need to be outside our cabin, no later than 6am, and we did not have to depart cabin until 9/30am.

We also have an in flight bag each, but just used this for making sure we had a change of clothes first night, in case our cases had not arrived at the cabin in time. If you have a late departure from ship, they have a secure place to deposit your flight bag until time to depart. No Charge.:D

Our flight bags are 55x45x25, and you are allowed 7Kg. (Which meet Thomson flight specifications)

I keep saying I am going to get one of the small size trolley cases as hand luggage, I was caught admiring a lady's one at Paphos as we queued to check in and she told me it was the smallest one available in Tesco and was within the required dimensions. Nice bright pink one too :)

Must remember to get one this time as it can be heavy lugging stuff home in your hand luggage - is it me or is it a bloomin' ridiculous long walk when you get off the plane at Gatwick to passport control then to get to the baggage collection (the first place where the trolleys are).

Try doing it with a baby on your hip too, and changing bag, you may be able to take the buggy up to the plane door when you board it now but when you get off the plane they don't have it waiting for you, oh no, you have to get it from the carousel...

Oh and while I'm moaning, thank you to whoever had the bright idea of replacing all the trolleys in arrivals with shiny new ones. 10p coins worked in the old ones even though it's supposed to be a £1 coin - So had one 10p coin ready (it's just an in-joke with us that became a habit) and no £1 coins by then, as gave all change and foreign notes to charity on flight :eek: had to borrow a 10 shekel coin grandson had luckily brought home as a souvenir and it fitted a treat!

I keep saying I am going to get one of the small size trolley cases as hand luggage, I was caught admiring a lady's one at Paphos as we queued to check in and she told me it was the smallest one available in Tesco and was within the required dimensions. Nice bright pink one too :)

Must remember to get one this time as it can be heavy lugging stuff home in your hand luggage - is it me or is it a bloomin' ridiculous long walk when you get off the plane at Gatwick to passport control then to get to the baggage collection (the first place where the trolleys are).

Try doing it with a baby on your hip too, and changing bag, you may be able to take the buggy up to the plane door when you board it now but when you get off the plane they don't have it waiting for you, oh no, you have to get it from the carousel...

Oh and while I'm moaning, thank you to whoever had the bright idea of replacing all the trolleys in arrivals with shiny new ones. 10p coins worked in the old ones even though it's supposed to be a £1 coin - So had one 10p coin ready (it's just an in-joke with us that became a habit) and no £1 coins by then, as gave all change and foreign notes to charity on flight :eek: had to borrow a 10 shekel coin grandson had luckily brought home as a souvenir and it fitted a treat!

Well, as I now live in Devon I have managed to get a flight from Exeter - never flown from here before - but its only about 1 hr away, instead of 4.5-5 hours to Gatwick :eek:

Yes, I can recall the days where I had to do that - and seems things havnt changed from all those years ago (my son is 14 this year) but guess that is called "LIFE" :eek: :D

Regarding size and weight of hand luggage.....the size Thomson allow is larger than Thomas Cook flights allow...our trolley cases are fine for Thomson but too big for Thomas Cook....regarding the weight, although in our ticket brochure for our Spirit cruise recently it stated 7 kgs for cabin baggage, we were pulled over for our hand baggage to be weighed and she stated it should be 5 kgs...I didn't argue as it was 8 kgs ...but just said we would even it out between the two cases and she let us go through.

This was in Paphos airport on the way home so a little word of warning !!!

Trolley cases are fine and easy to manage but they do weigh alot more than just a shoulder bag or rucksack.

Regarding size and weight of hand luggage.....the size Thomson allow is larger than Thomas Cook flights allow...our trolley cases are fine for Thomson but too big for Thomas Cook....regarding the weight, although in our ticket brochure for our Spirit cruise recently it stated 7 kgs for cabin baggage, we were pulled over for our hand baggage to be weighed and she stated it should be 5 kgs...I didn't argue as it was 8 kgs ...but just said we would even it out between the two cases and she let us go through.

This was in Paphos airport on the way home so a little word of warning !!!

Trolley cases are fine and easy to manage but they do weigh alot more than just a shoulder bag or rucksack.

Have to agree with Jenny they are on the ball at Pathos Airport re Hand Luggage, they did not bother re hand luggage at Stansted, but on return at Pathos, they wanted to weigh hand luggage. We have 2 identical flight bags (Rucksack Type), dimensions as per my previous post, I only put one on to be weighed and it weighed just over the 7Kg, so she queried it with the other operator. After the two deliberated for a while they let us through, don't think they realised I had another identical bag on the trolley, which I think weighed more.!!!

Will have to get some portable scales to weigh them, its easy at home using the bathroom scales, but in your cabin you can only estimate. Both of my main cases were way below the 23kg allowance.

Have to agree with Jenny they are on the ball at Pathos Airport re Hand Luggage, they did not bother re hand luggage at Stansted, but on return at Pathos, they wanted to weigh hand luggage. We have 2 identical flight bags (Rucksack Type), dimensions as per my previous post, I only put one on to be weighed and it weighed just over the 7Kg, so she queried it with the other operator. After the two deliberated for a while they let us through, don't think they realised I had another identical bag on the trolley, which I think weighed more.!!!

Will have to get some portable scales to weigh them, its easy at home using the bathroom scales, but in your cabin you can only estimate. Both of my main cases were way below the 23kg allowance.

Hi Delboy

We have some of those digital scales which we find very good. We do take them with us too so that we can be confident we've got the weight distribution right - I'd hate to be paying xs baggage charges especially if other cases are under-weight! You just have to remember to allow an extra 0.5Kg for the scales though once you pack them!! :)

Hi Delboy

We have some of those digital scales which we find very good. We do take them with us too so that we can be confident we've got the weight distribution right - I'd hate to be paying xs baggage charges especially if other cases are under-weight! You just have to remember to allow an extra 0.5Kg for the scales though once you pack them!! :)

Hi Kruzseeka and Delboy,

Glad you mentioned the scales. Gave me time to find them rather than the last minute panic going "Now where did I keep them after last time."

0.5 kg is heavy, mine weighs less than 200grams including the box :)

Berwyn

Hi Kruzseeka and Delboy,

Glad you mentioned the scales. Gave me time to find them rather than the last minute panic going "Now where did I keep them after last time."

Berwyn

Ok Berwyn, so I am having a thick moment :eek:

How big are the portable scales and how are they used?

Where can I buy them from - I want to ensure that this is from the right place.

How much to they cost?

Ok Berwyn, so I am having a thick moment :eek:

How big are the portable scales and how are they used?

Where can I buy them from - I want to ensure that this is from the right place.

How much to they cost?

Hi Mandie,

Mine's a little bigger than my mobile phone and twice as thick.

It's got a handle for you to hold and a big hook that fits around the handle of the case.

Then just lift it off the floor so the scale takes the weight of the case.

mine are not digital, spring one with a dial. Cost £5.

Berwyn

Hi Kruzseeka and Delboy,

Berwyn

These are the ones we have;

http://www.balanzza.co.uk/purchase.php?gclid=CJqv0aOw46ACFclr4wodS1yGBA

We allow 0.5Kg to be 'on the right side' but I'd hestitate to say they weighed much less than that - certainly not 200gms. They seem to be very accurate as at Check In the recorded weight on their scales matches very well with what we thought it should be.

Hi Kruzeeka,

mine came from the chap that goes around the workplaces selling books etc.

They seem OK. And most of the time we're never at the maximum limit anyway.

one of our friens had a shock this month. Had booked a holiday to Sharm el Sheik. Booked flights with Thomas Cook airline and only had 15kg. luggage allowance. She wasn't happy.

Berwyn

These are the ones we have;

http://www.balanzza.co.uk/purchase.php?gclid=CJqv0aOw46ACFclr4wodS1yGBA

We allow 0.5Kg to be 'on the right side' but I'd hestitate to say they weighed much less than that - certainly not 200gms. They seem to be very accurate as at Check In the recorded weight on their scales matches very well with what we thought it should be.

Hi kruzseeka :)

The digital scales look easier for a simpleton like me :eek:

Is it a case of you lift up your case by the handle, and then they measure it or ................... ????????????? :confused:

Hi kruzseeka :)

The digital scales look easier for a simpleton like me :eek:

Is it a case of you lift up your case by the handle, and then they measure it or ................... ????????????? :confused:

Yes , that's right. the dial swings round, or digital readout if you've got an electronic one.

It's like kitchen scales upside down. the styff you're weighing is underneath instead of the bowl on top.

Berwyn

Yes , that's right. the dial swings round, or digital readout if you've got an electronic one.

It's like kitchen scales upside down. the styff you're weighing is underneath instead of the bowl on top.

Berwyn

Ah, full of great information again - thanks :)

Well - just wanted what is better digital or electronic?

Is ebay the best place to try and get these

Hi Mandie,

It's only because I had them out this afternoon to test ready to go.

They've got plenty on Amazon at reasonable prices, both types

Berwyn

Sorry to ask but which are better - digital or electronic and why?

:confused:

Archived