Self-Tanning Lotions

sail7seas

I am thinking of trying self-tanning lotion from tube.

AOL had a list the other day of products they recommend but some they suggested were surprising.

Has anyone tried the Jergens or L'Oreal Sublime? I'm so afraid of looooking orange. :eek:

Thanks.

While I like the results that Jergens lotion gives, I HATE the smell! I do like the Jergens FOAM....it doesn't have that nasty, lingering odor, and dries very quickly....and does an awesome job of "tanning" you.

It's great in a pinch, but to remain "tanned" for an entire season...self-tanner is a pain in the ass....too time-consuming....put on some low SPF and get a real tan...much easier in the long run, and cheaper, too!

I've gotten so I really don't enjoy laying in the sun the way I used to some years ago. It has lost its appeal for me though Caribbean cruises are high on my favorite list. :) I like the sun and warmth; just not stretched out for hours on a chaise lounge.

i use the JERGENs but i agree with the smell...i will have to try the foam...

also Nivea....Jergens works great for my arms but seems 'splotchy' on my legs so that is why i tried the Nivea and that seemed BETTER on my legs...

my cruise last dec i got SUN going thru the Panama Canal and the rest of the cruise and in january i got some more...i really had a NICE tan for the winter.....lol....

i dont do the SUN at home and rarely get SUN but i do like the sun-kissed glow of the Jergens or the Nivea...now i gotta try that FOAM:)

Hi Sail,

I can tell you what I use. It is Kiehl's Self-tanning formula. I buy it at Nordstrom's or at the Kiehl's store in South Coast Plaza.

It does not smell and it is a very nice, natural color. I am really picky about this! Kiehl's is not cheap, but it works great.

My sister uses the Neutrogena lotion that has the self-tanner in it and really likes it. I have not tried it because once I found that Kiehl's works for me, I am afraid to "risk" another brand.

I only use it on my legs, because my arms are exposed enough to get a natural tan. One tip: make sure you smooth it all the way down to your toes, and feet. Be careful on the backs of your heels where it tends to get darker. I usually put some moisture lotion on my heels after the self-tanner so that doesn't happen. Good luck!

AOL had a list the other day of products they recommend but some they suggested were surprising.

Has anyone tried the Jergens or L'Oreal Sublime? I'm so afraid of looooking orange. :eek:

Thanks.

I don't like the smell from the Jergens, but never had orange skin. :) I like the Dove brand best, doesn't smell as bad, nor does the odor last all day. I use it as a moisturizing lotion and put it on daily after swimming my laps.

I do not use tanners from any type of bottle/can/tube etc. as they all turn me orange to some degree. I am not a hardcore tanner I tan In the late spring and summer, In the winter I spray tan about twice a week. It's cheap and they have different levels to start at out and that go with your skin tone, I have not been turned orange by this, and you shouldn't be either just don't go too dark or too often. This could be a great solution for you and there are many spray tan places.

I also like to spray tan - the VersaSpa works better than Mystic, imo. I like that you can personalize how dark you'd like your tan to be a little more, that you can choose a "clear coat" or bronzer that you see instantly, and that the fans stay on longer afterward than in Mystic.

I also like the L'Oreal self-tanner lotion w spf 15. The bronzer seems to streak much more easily. Then again, you can see where you've put it better than the lotion because it has bronzer in it...

Caveat: I still haven't found a cost-effective self-tanner that doesn't smell like self-tanner :( I leave it on for as long as I can on a day I can stay home and not wear clothes then shower asap... I hate the feeling of self-tanner rubbing on my clothes! :)

Just my .2 :)

Spray tans generally hold up at least as well as self tanners do. Exfoliate yourself before tanning to get better color and a more even tan. To make your tan last longer, go more than once before your trip so you can get the color you want. Don't shower or go swimming for up to 4-6 hours after getting the spray tan done. When Swimming they usally hold up well if you have kept them up. Swimming in the ocean probably effects them less than swimming in the pool because of the chlorine in pools (unless they're salt wate) But all in all if you spray tan till you get what you want and maintain it, swimming in the ocean 3 or 4 times isnt going to make it disapear.

Archived