Happy Birthday Splendour of the Seas!

tahqa

Splendour of the Seas made her maiden voyage 14 years ago today, March 31, 1996! She is the second of the Vision class ships and was built in Chantiers de l'Atlantique shipyard in Saint-Nazaire, France.

Along with her sister ship, Legend of the Seas, she is the smallest ship in the current Royal Caribbean fleet.

Splendour_of_the_Seas_Royal_Caribbean.jpg

Maiden Voyage: March 31, 1996

Passenger Capacity: 2,076

Godmother: Lisa Wilhelmsen

Gross Tonnage: 70,000

Length: 867'

Beam: 105'

Draft: 24'

Cruising Speed: 24 knots

We took our first cruise on the very beautiful Splendour in 1999. The Centrum area absolutely blow us away - it is so elegant!

:confused: Aren't the Monarch and Majesty smaller than the Spendour and Legend?

We took our first cruise on the very beautiful Splendour in 1999. The Centrum area absolutely blow us away - it is so elegant!

:confused: Aren't the Monarch and Majesty smaller than the Spendour and Legend?

Monarch and Majesty are actually about 13 feet longer and 4000 GRT heavier than Legend and Splendour. It's not a significant difference but still makes them a little larger.

Congrats Splendour!

Just one thing, your picture OP, is not Splendour OTS, that is Vision or Rhapsody....

splen_anch.jpg

Here is Splendour ;)

LOL -- That's what I get for pulling the picture from Wiki! :D

Congrats Splendour!

Just one thing, your picture OP, is not Splendour OTS, that is Vision or Rhapsody....

Noticed that right away. Splendour is a great ship. Our Venice cruise on her a couple of years ago is one of our favorites.

Monarch and Majesty are actually about 13 feet longer and 4000 GRT heavier than Legend and Splendour. It's not a significant difference but still makes them a little larger.

Splendour accommodates about 700 fewer guests. Great feature for port intensive itineraries.

The great thing about this site is that I learn something new everyday. All these years I thought the Legend and the Splendour were larger and since we didn't want to go to a smaller ship we never considered sailing on the Majesty or Monarch.

Thanks for the feedback.

...after Carnival almost exclusively. I was blown away at how beautiful the interiors were (and refreshingly NON-Joe Farcus like)....it was a 12 niter partial Panama out of Galveston,

and I was so glad I gave RCCL a try; my next cruise is on the Independence OTS.

Mitch

Here's another one for whom Splendour OTS was the first big cruise ship.

Looking at your signature, our first was right after yours. We cruised Splendour beginning Nov 10, 2007. A lot of water has passed under the bridge [of ships we were on] since then.

Archived