New to snorkeling!

Liz_C

My husband I are going on our first cruise,leaving on Feb. 27th for Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. We'd like to try snorkeling, but wonder which of these locations would be best for beginners? Or are we silly to try it for the first time on a cruise, rather than in a pool? I'm not the greatest swimmer, so are there some shallower areas that have good snorkeling? Please excuse our ignorance on this subject! Any and all help will be appreciated!!!:)

I tried snorkeling for the first time while I was on my last cruise. I love it! I did it on an excursion in Belize and it was NOT in a shallow area. But they require you to wear an inflatable vest and fins, so you really don't have to swim much. I went for my second snorkel at Dzul Ha in Cozumel, but it wasn't shallow there, either. Sorry I don't have more info for you, but I will tell you this....it's alot easier than I thought it would be. You'll really enjoy the experience.

Please don't let the "we need to try it in a pool" excuse make you miss out on seeing some of the most beautiful colors of your life!!! Once you gt used to the whole breathing through your mouth thing, you'll be amazed at the space and freedowm there is down there! (note: I always tell my newbie students to pretend you have a really bad cold, I've even made people practice by walking around with their noses pinched) Also, another thing, being a strong swimmer. Important, but not all that necessary. For example, I know someone, who will remain nameless for this post, but we'll just call her MOM, to keep it straight, who is not a strong swimmer, but loves to snorkel. What Mom is, is a very good floater.

Big difference between lying horizontally in the water, snorkel tube in your mouth, using your fins, etc. than bent over in half, on top of a floatation device, no snorkel, fins that you can sort of use. Moms does that and she loves it. She's good at it. So what, if she has to lift her head out of the water to breathe? The point is, she's enjoying something that she doesn't get to see every day, and she doesn't let that stop her from trying.

Mind you, when Mommers comes to visit, I made sure that she always takes an organized tour, none of that wandering off on her own, and I insist that she remains close to the guide, who will usually tow her like a human bouy.

If you're not comfortable, start off from a beach. wade into deep water.(chest deep) put on your mask, bend over, lay on top of your floatie and take it from there!!

Happy Bubbles!

(and don't tell my mother!)

I've heard Cozumel has great snorkeling. I also tried the first time on a cruise. Ask ship crew or locals for a beach that may have some nice snorkeling and equipment rental. I learned in Tobacco Bay in Bermuda. Like the previous post, getting used to the breathing is the toughest part and you're sure to get a few mouthfulls of water, but once you get the hang of it you will be addicted. I am not a great swimmer either, but I don't even like to use the inflatable vest (it is only inflated a small amount). With your fins on and lying on the water you kind of just float around. The Carribbean has a high salt content so floating is pretty easy. I've found that most of the "excursions" tend to go to deeper water, but I'm sure you can find a nice beach to try first. If not, don't be afraid of the deeper water. There are usually plenty of guides to assist you.

Have fun!

My husband I are going on our first cruise,leaving on Feb. 27th for Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. We'd like to try snorkeling, but wonder which of these locations would be best for beginners? Or are we silly to try it for the first time on a cruise, rather than in a pool? I'm not the greatest swimmer, so are there some shallower areas that have good snorkeling? Please excuse our ignorance on this subject! Any and all help will be appreciated!!!:)

I would say Cayman would be the easiest - You can go to any number of places to snorkel from shore. Eden Rock is just a couple blocks from the ships, so you can walk there. It starts pretty shallow and visibility is good. I wouldn't even bother snorkeling Ocho Rios with Cayman and Coz on the same itinerary. For Coz, I thought Dzul Ha had a large shallow area, so my memory on that is different from a previous poster's. They also have good nachos and guac.

Also, a lot of the ships have lessons in the pool early in the cruise (sometimes on embarkation day). Look for these to get warmed up.

Most of all - Don't sweat it and have fun!

Jeffinhburg, you're correct about Dzul Ha. If you go in from the shore, there is alot of shallow area. However, all of the excursions that went there let you off the snorkel boat out in the deep part. And even though I went in from the shore, I didn't stay there, I went out to the deeper part where I could see more fish. So you are right, you can stay in the shallow part and practice, which is what one of my friends did. I don't know how I forgot that! LOL!

Thank you all so much for the great advice! SandDollar Laura: sounds as though your Mom and I would make great snorkeling partners! Hubby and I will definitely give it a try. Thanks again......

I've enjoyed reading this thread as I too will be snorkeling for the first time on my first cruise in March. I am wondering how safe it is to go to Dzul Ha or a beach in GC and snorkel without a group. My dad who has snorkeled and scuba dived growing up will also be there but he hasn't had much practice lately. Is the danger of getting caught in a current need to be considered or is it not a big deal? Any advice is appreciated.

Cozumel has great snorkling at Chankanaab (spelling) Park. You snorkel off the beach and it really is great...lots of fish (remember to take some cereal or bread to fee them) . You can get a cab from the ship $5. per person and $12 to get in the park...plan on spending lots of time there it really is nice...getting back to the ship there are lots of cabs.

Grand Cayman its nice to see the stingrays...you're on a sand bar so you don't have to swim. We booked with nativeway.com on the internet...they were great picked you up at the pier and brought you back...very reasonably priced.

Archived