WEtsuit or skinsuit-need opinions!

cardbucfan

Hi all, leaving on Sunday on the Legend planning to dive Caymans, Cozumel, Belize and Roatan:D:D:D. We are new to diving so other than masks/fins/snorkels/booties we don't have any gear of our own. We are borrowing suits from our dive instructor and are conflicted about whether to do skins or 3ml wetsuits. We live in Florida so 78 is chilly to us, my kids have zero percent body fat (wish I could say the same!) and we will be diving 4 days in a row (I am also a princess and hate to be cold!). I'm leaning towards the wetsuit but wanted opinions. Our dive instructor thinks skins will be just fine but he dives when the water is in the 50's:eek:!!!

We snorkeled in Belize and Grand Cayman last week, didn't use anything. My husband dived in Cozumel and used a very thin swim shirt. The only time he was cold was on the boat ride to dive - the boat waves were splashing in the boat and it was windy.

Considering you're doing multiple dive days, I would go with the wetsuits. The cold will build up on you. I normally dive with a diveskin and a 3 mm wetsuit. Even in 80 degree water temps at Grand Cayman I was very comfortable. I was down at 90 feet and could feel the chill a bit. This was in December.

In support of the previous posters, I would also strongly advise the 3mm suit, especially considering you are diving multiple days.

Nothing wrecks a dive like getting cold, even when it's "warm".

Cheers,

Greg

Thanks for the replies. I think we will do the 3 mil for me and the boys but DH wants to do a skin but will bring his shorty to layer (he's lost some weight so it would actually fit!). Gotta go pack!!!

Archived