Adjoining Cabin ?

freakymickey

Curious if the door for the adjoining cabins can be kept open. Considering doing adjoining cabins and would need that door to stay open. Another concern I have is the safety of the adjoining cabin, my children will be 4/8 and I worry that they will be able to open the door to the hallway to easily...any opinions would be appreciated!

Yes, the doors will stay open, if you want them to be. The hallway doors are quite heavy...the 8 year old could manage it, but not the 4 year old! And should that door open and slam closed (and they do slam!!!), you'll hear it!

We had this same issue on a Disney cruise (though our kids were 3 and 16 months at the time.) There were rubber doorstoppers (wedges) in the room, and I used those as an additional barrier to the kids opening the door.

Now I realize the doors are heavy, but it was just for my peace of mind. :)

The connecting doors to our adjacent cabins on Carnival Triumph were spring-loaded and would automatically close if not held open. Also, if the ship lists any, the opened doors might close on their own. We asked our cabin steward for those rubber door stops. He brought us two of them and we kept the doors opened that way.

Curious if the door for the adjoining cabins can be kept open. Considering doing adjoining cabins and would need that door to stay open. Another concern I have is the safety of the adjoining cabin, my children will be 4/8 and I worry that they will be able to open the door to the hallway to easily...any opinions would be appreciated!

You want connecting cabins. Connecting cabins have a inside door that can open between them. Adjoining cabins share a common wall with no inside door.

Remember, adjoining cabins do not have inside doors connecting the two rooms---you need connecting cabins for that to happen. So if you're still in the booking process, make sure to ask for connecting cabins and not just adjoining. Adjoining cabins are just cabins that are next to each other, without an interior doorway.

On the Solstice class Celebrity ships, the adjoining/connected rooms are designed differently.

There is an alcove off of the passage way with the doors of two adjacent cabins. If you request the cabins to be "adjoining", they can pull out a hidden door system that walls off the alcoved flush with the hallway making a smallish anteroom that connects the two rooms. The regular cabin doors can then be fastened open (they have a magnetic system) when desired. It worked rather nicely!

We sailed on the Disney Magic in connecting staterooms. We sailed with our family of 6 and Grandma. Per reccommendations from the DIS boards we brought along bungee cords to hold the doors open. It worked well when we wanted the doors open between the rooms.

Remember, adjoining cabins do not have inside doors connecting the two rooms---you need connecting cabins for that to happen. So if you're still in the booking process, make sure to ask for connecting cabins and not just adjoining. Adjoining cabins are just cabins that are next to each other, without an interior doorway.

Exactly. Adjoining cabins can also be across the hall. You want to get CONNECTING cabins, with an inside door between them, so you don't even have to go into the hallway.

Archived