Fuel Surcharge

CT Cruiser10

As of this moment, I am not being charged a fuel surcharge for my August cruise. I know that if the price of a barrel of some oil exceeds some threshold then NCL may put a fuel surcharge on my bill. Does anybody know what type of oil is tracked, what the threshold is, and if there is an easy way to track the price?

Frankly, as for the threshold, the price of a barrel of oil has passed that threshold a long time ago. I am of the belief NCL is waiting for either Carnival or Royal Caribbean to implement a fuel surcharge before they do... I don't think NCL is in the position market wise to be in the lead...

Appears the price of oil has gone up slowly without any major spikes which have allowed the other cruise lines and NCL to make adjustments with other services. However, I fully expect a fuel surcharge if the price of oil spikes quickly with all of the lines... The lines are in business to turn a profit and earn dividends for their stock holders, not to swallow excessive fuel price increases...

As of this moment, I am not being charged a fuel surcharge for my August cruise. I know that if the price of a barrel of some oil exceeds some threshold then NCL may put a fuel surcharge on my bill. Does anybody know what type of oil is tracked, what the threshold is, and if there is an easy way to track the price?

It is either WD40 or peanut oil!!!

sorry couldn't resist!!!!

Nita LOL

NCL has the opportunity to take the lead and drop the threat of fuel surcharges.

Cruise lines should price in the current cost of fuel -- that's what your local gas station does. You aren't paying what the station paid -- you're paying their replacement costs.

The price of a cruise is more complicated than just fuel prices, but having an asterisk on your agreed upon price and no consistency in enforcement is just asking for upset customers if the surcharge is enacted.

NCL has the opportunity to take the lead and drop the threat of fuel surcharges.

Cruise lines should price in the current cost of fuel -- that's what your local gas station does. You aren't paying what the station paid -- you're paying their replacement costs.

The price of a cruise is more complicated than just fuel prices, but having an asterisk on your agreed upon price and no consistency in enforcement is just asking for upset customers if the surcharge is enacted.

Unfortunately, people book cruises up to two years in advance. The price of oil can triple in that time frame and have done so in the past. No one likes a fuel surcharge, but then again we expect more than bread and water to eat and drink aboard the ship too....

Generally speaking this is the policy for nearly all the cruise lines.

"West Texas Intermediate fuel exceeds $65.00 USD per barrel." Seems a few may be moving to $79 as the benchmark.

That is long since gone and most have not updated it. However this summer if any of the lines blink, they will all blink.

Lots of places to track the price such at this, http://www.wtrg.com/daily/crudeoilprice.html Not that it seems to matter much as it was around $83 today.

Archived