Golden Princess SJU-NYC May 1st-8th

andieberl

Hello there!

We are a gay couple taking the first cruise together on the Golden Princess from San Juan, PR to New York City, NY May 1st till 8th. However I have taken a lot of cruises I am not really sure on what to expect as a gay couple.... Maybe you have a couple of tips or hints? Maybe you and your partner/friend are on the same cruise aswell? It would be great to get into contact beforehand... Thank you!! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there,

My partner and I will be traveling on the same cruise with you San Juan to New York May 1-8. We generally take one or two cruises per year and find it to be the ideal vacation for us, as we do so much other traveling throughout the year both for work and pleasure.

You say that you've taken a lot of cruises, but not as a gay couple... What to expect? Well, every ship will be different. Sometimes there will be a lot of gay people on board who freely mix with one another (after spotting each other) and other times you spot other gay couples who keep more to themselves. What I find often happening in these situations is that it's difficult to get a conversation started with some other couples. Some people assume immediately that because you're also gay and you're talking to them that you're trying to 'pick them up' instead of just initiating friendly contact.

Having said that, we are a gay couple late 30's/early 40's have been together 7 years and have been on twice as many cruises in that time! :)

If you would like any more info or would like to meet up onboard, send me an email: pqdtw@yahoo.com

Take care.

Daniel

• 4 weeks later...

We are going to be on this cruise as well. I'm Ephraim, and my huzband is Yves. We are a Gay male couple from Montreal. We are both chubby bears. I'm English-Canadian (Jewish) and Yves is French-Canadian (Canadian). I teach computers, he's a sr. analyst.

Don't know our cabin, yet, since we are on a Guarantee. We don't care where on the boat we are... we just want to be on the boat!

We were on the Golden in July last year. We showed up with a few others for the FOD party, and soon met most of the CD staff. Had a great time with them, though it left us with a few stories to tell.

We like to share tables for dinner, so you can often meet us that way, or just ask to meet for dinner. You can also find us at the art auction, the black jack table, trivia or just running around the ship, going from ******** to ********. (Though we already did the Wizard of Oz, so we will probably skip that, this time).

We are driving in to NYC from Montreal, and flying to SJU from LGA.

Probably going to St-John from St-Thomas, Dickenson bay for Antigua, and of course Baie Oriental (Orient Bay) in St. Martin (French side).

Drop us a line, if you want to meet us.

Sorry... sorry to get back to you so late but I already gave up hope for any reply to my posted message... sure it will be fun to meet up with you, all of you!!!

We will go to SJU already on April 27th depending on flights available and extend our stay in NYC for three more days before going back to Munich, Germany.

Here is my email again andieberl@web.de... maybe you try another message with pic? Would be nice to hear from you again..... Only three more weeks!!!!

Okay, let's see, we are now:

Andieberl - ???? & ???? - Cabin (unknown)

Ephraim - Ephraim & Yves (Canada) - Cabin (unknown-guarantee)

Bryan&Roger - Brian & Roger (US/UK) - Cabin (unknown)

PQDTW - Daniel & ???? - Cabin (unknown)

CruiseAholic - ???? (US) - Cabin (unknown)

So, let's try to get this together. Last time, the FOD party was when we were in St-Thomas. But if you want to meet earlier, let's figure out when everyone will be there, and we can set a meeting place on the ship. Or, we can meet for dinner on the sail away night. We can reserve for after the drill, if people like. In Bernini, which usually has shorter lines.

If you prefer another time, the Wheelhouse bar is usually pretty quiet.

Yves and I get in at 2PM in San Juan. We should be checked in by about 4PM, unless the lines are particularly long, or we are stuck to the stupid plastic chairs they make you wait in.

How about we plan to meet about 6:00 pm on embarkation day (we dont' get in until 1:30)? Can't remember the name, but the bar overlooking the aft pool, not the one as you come out of the buffet, but the other one, up by the hot tubs?

Plus, go to Princess Roll Calls, there is a large Cruise Critic group, join in, that group is meeting at sail away.

How about we plan to meet about 6:00 pm on embarkation day (we dont' get in until 1:30)? Can't remember the name, but the bar overlooking the aft pool, not the one as you come out of the buffet, but the other one, up by the hot tubs?

Plus, go to Princess Roll Calls, there is a large Cruise Critic group, join in, that group is meeting at sail away.

Which of the four pools? The Terrace Pool, which is on the Aloha Deck, in the back? The bar for that is called the Outrigger, I think.

Then there is the Calypso Pool, which has the retractable roof, and 2 hot tubs. The bar there is called Calypso Bar, I think.

Then there is the two hot tubs at the back, two levels above the terrace pool, and the bar there is called the Oasis, I think. Which is probably the bar you meant, but just wanted to clear things up. Ships can be confusing :)

That's where we tried to have the FOD party the first time on the Golden, but there were few seats, and no one could tell who was there to meet, and who wasn't. That's how we ended up moving to the Wheelhouse bar, fewer people.

The other Cruise Critic (general) group http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=102702 is meeting at 3:00PM at Senor Frogs, or at 10:00PM, starboard side of the Sun deck, near the neptune pool, for sail-away. And again on Thursday at 11:00AM to 12:30PM at Skywalkers.

The Oasis Bar is the one I meant! 6:00 pm if anyone can make it!

Yves and I will try to make it.

Bryan and Roger already told me that they will try to make it.

I emailed Andieberl and Daniel & Jolle about it.

To put us up to date:

Andieberl - ???? & ???? (Germany) - Cabin (unknown)

Ephraim - Ephraim & Yves (Canada) - Cabin (unknown)

Bryan&Roger - Brian & Roger (US/UK) - Cabin (unknown)

PQDTW - Daniel & Jolle (US/Netherlands) - Cabin (unknown)

CruiseAholic - ???? (US) - Cabin (unknown)

1st meeting 6PM Oasis Bar on the 1st of May

2nd meeting, Friends of Dorothy meeting, check the Priness Patter for time and place (usually should be the 2nd of May in the early evening)

Hi everyone!

What a great idea! Nils and I will try to join the Get-together on 1st of May 6 pm at the Oasis Bar. We will be arriving in San Juan 4 days before the cruise, so we should make it on board by noon.

I had a look on the princess site, but could not locate an "Oasis Bar" on any deck.... Maybe a few more hints about the location of the bar would be helpful... We have never been on any Princess Ship, and I tend to get lost on board a ship anyway....

See you then... only two more weeks to go.

Andreas & Nils, Munich, Germany

Yves and I will try to make it. And I already spoke to Bryan and Roger and they too will try.

And of course, they usually have the Friend of Dorothy meeting on the second evening aboard, so anyone who can't make it, can meet then. (That's on the 2nd). I emailed Andriberl & PQDTW about these plans, as well.

Andieberl - Andreas & Nils (Germany)

Ephraim - Ephraim & Yves (Canada)

Bryan&Roger - Brian & Roger (US/UK)

PQDTW - Daniel & Jolle (US/Netherlands)

CruiseAholic - Jeff (I think) (US)

I have a friend at work who will be on the cruise with you guys. I dont think he posts here, but I have forwarded the link in case he wants to check it out. He and his boyfriend will be traveling. I was going to be on the cruise, but ended up booking a Transatlantic instead. ;( It would have been fun.

Have a great trip!

Enjoy your cruise guys! I have just put a deposit on the October sailing going in the opposite direction as your cruise (NYC to SJU after Golden wraps up in New England for fall tours) but to all the same stops! I look forward to hearing your opinions on Antigua and St. Maarten (sp?).

Bon Voyage! :)

Archived