YVR picked tops in North America

Putterdude

After being much maligned in this forum it is interesting to note that Vancouver's airport has been picked to be the best airport in North America and number 11 in the world. To quote part of the the release "The award is based on 9.8 million passenger surveys conducted in airports around the world and measures the results from 39 criteria that include comfort, efficiency, signage, transportation availability, passenger amenities and friendliness. The award is a testament to the hard work of our airline, retail and business partners and their commitment to continuously improve YVR’s facilities and customer care". Interestingly the next closest North American airport was SFO which was ranked 20th in the world. link

After being much maligned in this forum it is interesting to note that Vancouver's airport has been picked to be the best airport in North America and number 11 in the world. To quote part of the the release "The award is based on 9.8 million passenger surveys conducted in airports around the world and measures the results from 39 criteria that include comfort, efficiency, signage, transportation availability, passenger amenities and friendliness. The award is a testament to the hard work of our airline, retail and business partners and their commitment to continuously improve YVR’s facilities and customer care". Interestingly the next closest North American airport was SFO which was ranked 20th in the world. link

So if you and your family (11 people) needed to go from YVR downtown to a hotel near the pier, what would be the most cost effective and easy way to get there? We were planning to use the Skytrain, but at $8.75 pp not sure if that way is the way we should go. Any recommendations?

PD - was wondering when someone of us locals was going to post something about the that airport of ours and its ranking as the best in North America. Also in my experience during the Olympics there didn't seem to be much complaining about long waits etc for planes.

Re the second poster - if you have eleven people you could buy a book of fare saver tickets at the airport for something like $30.00 - that way you avoid the $5.00 surcharge - I am sure that ScottBee will be around to give you the exact details as he uses the system more than I do.

Cheers from a very rainy Vancouver

Dennis

So if you and your family (11 people) needed to go from YVR downtown to a hotel near the pier, what would be the most cost effective and easy way to get there? We were planning to use the Skytrain, but at $8.75 pp not sure if that way is the way we should go. Any recommendations?

I would.... go to the 7-11 or Pharmasave in the terminal building, and buy a couple of fare saver books of 10 two-zone transit tickets for $28.50/book, and then take skytrain. The extra $5 is only on single tickets bought on the platform and doesn't include those with fare saver tickets or monthly passes :-)

I really liked Vancouver airport, it's the most impressive I've ever been in, believe it or not.

nothing stood out as inefficient in the way we were handled, the waterfall and native art are what made it stand out as an airport that really made an effort to be memorable rather than somewhere to pass through en route to somewhere else.

PD - was wondering when someone of us locals was going to post something about the that airport of ours and its ranking as the best in North America. Also in my experience during the Olympics there didn't seem to be much complaining about long waits etc for planes.

I agree...I think the complaints boil down to "instant gratification". I know there are lines, but they are experienced at every airport...as I have said try LAS on a weekend or after a major convention or FLL when there are a number of ships in and there is no customs to deal with in those cases. I don't travel as much as I used to but YVR is tops in my mind.

I agree...I think the complaints boil down to "instant gratification". I know there are lines, but they are experienced at every airport...as I have said try LAS on a weekend or after a major convention or FLL when there are a number of ships in and there is no customs to deal with in those cases. I don't travel as much as I used to but YVR is tops in my mind.

Anyone who dislikes YVR has obviously never been through LAX

That is likely the best way, as long as your hotel, is reasonably close to the Skytrain station. Your other option is a cab and you will likely need 3 of them at $45.00 per including tip, or a limo service at $60.00 per including tip but you might be able to get away with 2 of them.

Your hotel better be either the Fairmont Waterfront or the Pan Pacific, otherwise you are going to be into some major walking with 11 people and all their luggage.

Your hotel better be either the Fairmont Waterfront or the Pan Pacific, otherwise you are going to be into some major walking with 11 people and all their luggage.

This is not entirely correct, all three of the downtown stations as well as the Broadway-City Hall station have hotels within walking distance of them. The most important thing with the Canada Line and SkyTrain is that you must have a reasonable degree of mobility and be able to handle all of your own luggage.

I would.... go to the 7-11 or Pharmasave in the terminal building, and buy a couple of fare saver books of 10 two-zone transit tickets for $28.50/book, and then take skytrain. The extra $5 is only on single tickets bought on the platform and doesn't include those with fare saver tickets or monthly passes :-)

Just what I needed to know

Archived