Independence Air?

mmsoko

Was just checking out flights to FL and the cheapest fare was with Indepence Air. Never heard of them. Figured someone here, they're the best, would have info. Any info will be appreciated.

I agree with Pam... Getting to the port is just as important as getting on the ship.. I would not try to save a few bucks going on an unknown airline. Also if possible I try to fly in one day early just in case.

Marcia,

I flew them between Rochester, NY and White Plains, NY while on Business. They have a nice terminal at Dulles (where everyone goes unless you started/finished there to begin with). I had not heard they were not doing well, but just found this article from a couple weeks ago when doing a google search: http://business.mainetoday.com/news/050112independence.shtml. They are not in Chapter 11 like United and US Airways from what I understand. I probably would not have a problem flying with them if it was a short time between reservation and the flight. Hope this helps.

~Paul

Here are two more articles: the airline is definitely having problems. It was in the news here in Boston last month because many flights were cancelled. The other problem is that you have to go through Dulles Airport to get anywhere; in other words, no direct flights from Michigan to FL.

As I said above, I wouldn't book them if I had to absolutely, positively get where I'm going. Not even considering potential weather or connection problems, there's also the possibility that they might cancel your flight as a cost-saver.

This is a shame because I've heard very good things about Independence Air. I have friends who take them all the time and really prefer them.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/flyi.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A48731-2005Jan4.html

My sister in law used them last November for a direct flight from Columbia SC to Tampa at an unbelievable low rate.

I did not see how they could afford to stay in business at the rates they were charging. I wouldn't book a long way out, but would probably be safe one or two weeks ahead.

I just flew them a few weeks ago. I flew about 25 times last year for both work and pleasure.

I have to admit they were the best airline flights I had. The planes are all new Regional Jets. Each seat is either a window or Isle. there are no center seats. Each jet holds about 50 people so you are on and off the plan in five minutes tops. They served full snack services on the flight (gormet cookies, chips, pretzes and healthy snack stuff). And just before you get off the plane they come around with hot lemon towels to freshen yourself up with. then they pass out mints so who ever your meeting is greated with fresh breath. (HUGE GRIN)

The airline used to be a united and Delta Connection communiter airline before united delcared bankrupcy. They are now their own airline with their own flights.

They have been having passager load level issues but recently restructured there debt with GE taking a postion in the company.

I personally would love to see them take off and become a huge sucess as they were wonderful and actually pleasurabel to fly with.

Most of the major airlines these days I would not book far in advance (Other than jet blue and southwest). There is not a single "Major" airline that is not having finacial issues other than Southwest.

I plan to book them soon for an upcoming trip.

Trey

My husband and I live in Virginia and flew Independece Air to Chicago over New Year's. Our flight to Chicago was delayed by three hours. We were told that O'Hare was overcrowed and incoming flights were delayed as a result. However, once we got on the plane and were ready to take off, we were told that the plane was over-weight, and it took almost another hour to get both passengers and luggage off the plane. They did not even offer a free flight for those willing to give up their seats, just a $100 credit. That won't necessarily pay for an entire flight.

On our return flight, we received a phone call that our flight had been cancelled back to D.C., which was better than finding out once we got to the airport. We were put on the previous flight that was also delayed by almost two hours. Not sure if our flight was cancelled because of weather or if it was just not full enough to fly. As we sat in Chicago, we were talking to other passengers who said this was their first and last time flying Independce Air because they experienced similar troubles. If you get a good deal and can fly down a day early and are willing to take a chance that your return flight may be cancelled, it's' certainly a cheap way to fly. We were also surprised at how small the planes were. Felt very crammed.

We were also a bit surprised about the pre-flight safety instructions. We usually have a good sense of humor, but Dennis Miller making jokes about a plane crash is not exactly appropriate (especially for someone like my sister who is terrified of flying). Be prepared for a unique experience!

Good luck!

I've flown independence air quite a few times and have been very happy with them. They have cut some of their routes while adding new routes. They are in the process negotiating with a major airline to do their low cost route. Independence Air is not a truly brand new airline. Their story from their website is below:

Independence Air is brand new—and 14 years old—at the same time.

We flew our first passengers in 1989, as the Dulles-based partner to United Airlines and, starting in 2000, for Delta Air Lines as well. We operated under the name Atlantic Coast Airlines (ACA).

In December 2002, United went into bankruptcy and tried to force us to change the way we had done business in the past, by offering all of its partners a significantly inferior contract. Some accepted the risks of continuing with a bankrupt major airline. But we had a better plan.

For many years we had been kicking around the idea of some day declaring our independence and starting our own low-fare airline — to try to "right the wrongs" we had seen in our industry for so long. An airline that people would really love to fly. The more we talked about it, the more we realized that going out on our own was the smartest thing to do.

On November 19, 2003, Independence Air was born. Dedicated to creating a low-fare airline that makes air travel easier for customers, we live by six values representing both Independence Air and the individual employees behind it:

Archived