Airports and strollers

onesphinx2004

Traveling with 11 month old. Can we take child, seated in carseat/stroller combo to gate? Then, check both at gate before boarding. :) Not child, the carseat/stroller combo. Thinking about flying with child on my lap.

From other postings, it appears that we could have a problem with land transportation without a carseat. Originally, had considered leaving the carseat at home and simply taking an umbrella stroller. Concerned about airport to hotel, hotel to pier, and pier back to airport. Plan on using hotel shuttle service from airport to hotel and hotel to pier. We're not really sure if we'd take child on excursions at port stops.

Appreciate any comments.

Yes, most airlines are happy to do this for you (though you may want to double check with the airline to be sure, some are getting so surcharge-happy, I'm surprised they haven't started charging based on what you had for breakfast that morning. :rolleyes: )

We've never had a problem doing that and gate checking everything at the airport. We do always make sure that they know we want to pick it up at the gate when we get off too, a few times they've tried to check it so it would go to the baggage claim area instead and I prefer having the stroller to use in the airport.

We recently flew from Tampa to Sacramento on Southwest and established we will NEVER fly with an umbrella stroller again! It was so bent up that we couldn't use it and ended up throwing it away at the airport and it made our trip more of a hassle (traveling within the airport, not the rest of our vacation)

But, I agree with Jerin that you may want to check with the airline and find out if they charge (southwest doesn't charge for two pieces of luggage per person, and you can check two baby items in place of one piece of luggage)

If you have a Sit & Stroll, this;

http://www.lillygold.com/

The owner's manual says specifically NOT to check it. Even gate-checking it is not the best idea. This is kind of an expensive item with a lot of moving parts that could easily been broken, etc.

It was confusing when you said "thinking of..." Did you buy him a seat? Even if you haven't, if there is room you can use it on board if you are flying a U.S. company. The airline will not move passengers around but ask nicely at check-in if you can have a free seat placed by you to use this in.

If you DO have a seat for him, it's your right to use the SnS on board. The FAA states that any child with a seat and any car seat which is FAA approved can be used on board.

Your child is much, much safer in a car seat than on your lap but air travel is so safe, there is little chance of anything going wrong.

On a practical note, the SnS can wheel down the aisle of the aircraft. You don't have to pick it up.

If you end up having to get-check it, I would recommend binding it first with a bungee cord and bagging it. You may also ask the ground staff if it can be carried down by hand, as they do with the wheelchairs. Tell them that it's an expensive, easily broken stroller.

Since your question wasn't clear, if you have a stroller and car seat separately (not the SnS product I talk about above) the answer is yes. Check your airlines' website because usually these items are not counted against your baggage allowance (nor charged if the airline no longer has free bags). Same goes, most car seats sold in the U.S. are FAA approved so again, you have the right to use it if he has a seat and try to get a seat if you didn't purchase a place for your baby on the plane.

The airlines basically accept any stroller which folds. Some refuse those crib-like contraptions you'll see more in Europe. Almost all stroller sold in the U.S. can fold down.

I agree with the pp about umbrella strollers, especially on a cruise. Bring what works for you. For a cruise, it's best to have a stroller that folds down really small because space is at a premium in those cabins, but that could include a very durable stroller. I put ours' behind the door. I was also able to stow the car seat elsewhere on the ship (didn't need it for excursions). Don't make my mistake though and have it returned to you the evening before.

Look on your airlines' website. They'll say that they recommend an umbrella stroller but honestly, none required it. As both a Flight Attendant and a passenger, I saw huge strollers at the door of the plane. Never saw one refused, including double strollers (if they can bring those...)

If there are limits, which a few airlines mention but few actually impose, "strip" your stroller down. Take off the toys, cup holders, even the sunshade and make it look smaller. Chances are, if it's 5" over the specifications, they'll let it go.

So basically bring what you need to bring for your trip and don't worry specifically about the flight. Weigh up your needs for the ship, transfers, excursions, etc.

Have a safe flight and a great cruise!

Just be aware that many airlines will not take any responsibility for damage to a stroller that's gate checked; they will only consider a damage claim if it's checked in appropriate packaging at the check-in counter.

here's a tip for you . book a aisle seat and a window seat. that way if noone books the seat between you you have more room for your child . we did this and it worked great . plus if you bring a car seat with you and the seat in the middle is open you can put your child's seat there for free:D

Two comments.

1. We too had an umbrella stroller trashed by an airline. While trying to be compensated we were told they do not take responsibility for any gate checked items (wheelchairs, strollers, walkers, etc). "That's what insurance is for" was their line.

2. Do not assume you will get an empty seat if you book a window and an aisle. We ended up asking the person assigned to the middle seat to switch with my husband. He was not happy about travelling beside a child, and not happy about the request. What we do is ask at the counter if their is the chance for an empty seat. If not, we ask again at the gate desk (especially when changing planes). We usually have good luck getting an empty seat that way.

Good luck flying. We have done it lots and it is only a means to an end (the end being a great vactaion)!

I just want to suggest that you consider buying a seat for the baby... and using the sit n stroll. I have one of those and it is WONDERFUL. The wheels pop out of the bottom and the handle pulls out like a suitcase... and it transforms from a car seat into a stoller .... voila... with BABY STILL IN IT! You can go from car seat to stroller and back without even taking him out. It's narrow enough to fit down most plane aisles and FAA approved for use on the flight.

I always bit the extra cost and just purchased a seat... this afforded me options:

1) SAFETY... your child is in an actual car seat for the flight... if there's turbulance that's a BIG factor

2) extra room on the plane (the thought of holding baby, and stuffing all his things under just my seat was scary!)

3) extra luggage and carry ons.... for airlines that allow one free checked bag per customer, you get one more with baby's seat (compared to having him on your lap), plus extra carryons because you can count his seat.

4) the sit and stroll can then work primarily as a stroller for use on the ship, or as a car seat for transfers.... you get two functions out of one piece of equipment!

Archived