Which excursions to take with a 10-month old?

bananasforcruises

We are booked on the NCL Jewel to Bahamas & Florida from New York on 7/24/10. This will be the first cruise with a 10-month old. The only other cruise we have been on was on the Princess Cruise Line about three years ago.

I'd like to get some info on excursions. Which excursions do people usually go on in Port Canaveral, Florida and in the Bahamas with an infant? It will be 2 adults, one 10-year old and an infant. The 10 year old wants fun things to do at the ports.

When we were on the Princess my nephew didn't want to go to all of the ports so he stayed in the kids club. On the Princess they had the kid's groups available without charge when the ship was in a port. He stayed on one time and at the other ports we just walked around for a while, went to the beach, etc. We didn't really take any excursions.

Does anyone know how much NCL charges for kids to stay on the ship while parents get off at ports? Does NCL have that available?

We are on budget when it comes to expenses while on the cruise and I can't see paying some of the high prices for a 10-month old.

Which excursions have people been on that aren't too expensive that would be fun for a 10-year old that won't break the bank.

Any info will be helpful.

Florida will be easy...I am sure there are disney excursions...and other kid friendly excursions.

Now we went to Nassau with our son who was 9 months old at the time, we took a water taxi over to Atlantis and explored the hotel/aqaurium. Then went to the free beach. We spent very little on that port. Since it's wasnt an excursion booked through the ship. But you can probably do a day excursion at atlantis. Does NCL have the excursion list on their site?

I don't know what's in Port Canaveral aside from the Kennedy Space Center.

I think that would be engaging for the 10 year old, and air-conditioned for the 10-month old (in a stroller)

It's the Kennedy Space Center... rocket ships, science displays, etc... what kid doesn't love that stuff?

In Nassau, Bahamas... we went to Ardastra Gardens... it's a small botanical garden with some free roaming birds. There's a place where you can feed some lorie parrots. You get a piece of apple, and they fly over to your hand, sit there and eat out of your fingers.

That was cool.

They also have a Marching Flamingo show, which we missed (since we hired a cab)... BUT we lucked out, meeting the flamingo trainer, who let us interact with the flamingoes, and gave us a short tour of the gardens.

n1507726387_30039161_7563.jpg

I really enjoyed that.

The Atlantis Resort has a great aquarium... but a hot dog costs $12 there.

We usually just take a cab and don't go on the organized excursions. This benefits us in 2 ways. First it is cheaper and second; if our DD gets cranky, we can leave when we want to instead of waiting for the designated time to leave set by the excursion.

Forget Disney. It is a long ride, and you don't get near enough time in the park to see enough. Plus, it will be BEASTLY HOT and very crowded. There will be lines for everything. And food is expensive there. Stick with the space center, or just go to the beach. EM

NCL does not have any options for child care of any kind for children younger than 2, so you won't have that option for your 10-month old. He or she will be with you at all times. I'm pretty sure they do have some options for older children (those who are old enough for the childrens program) to remain onboard in the program while parents take an excursion off the ship, but I don't know if there is a fee. (As an FYI, Princess also does not have child care options for infants. Their childrens program starts at age 3, although children younger than that are allowed to visit the facilities as long as a parent/adult is with them the entire time. Actually, most cruise lines do not offer infant child care. Disney does and RCI's Oasis is the first RCI ship to have a nursery.)

IMO, your best bet is to plan simple things with a flexible schedule; do not book lengthy (and expensive) excursions because you don't know how your 10-month old will handle cruising. Many parents (and others) rave about visiting Atlantis. It needn't be super expensive if you opt not to pay for the water facilities. The aquarium is supposed to be terrific (and not too costly). Either a beach or the space center for Canaveral. Absolutely not Disney for a cruise port day, IMO.

beachchick

NCL will not allow you to leave your 10-month-old on the ship in port.

Only Carnival and NCL will accept 2-year-olds into their childrens' programs. Other lines start at 3 or older. No lines start younger (not even Disney, which is at 3) for kids to be sans parents during the day. I think you will have to gear toward your 10-year-old but look at age restrictions, too, as kayaking, snorkeling, horseback riding, etc will be out of the question with an infant - look at things like stingray cities, turtle farms, bus tours, etc. and keep your 10-month old in a backpack-type carrier.

Forget Disney. It is a long ride, and you don't get near enough time in the park to see enough. Plus, it will be BEASTLY HOT and very crowded. There will be lines for everything. And food is expensive there. Stick with the space center, or just go to the beach. EM

Completely agree! The best way to do DisneyWorld is a land vacation there....for several days. Get the hotel/park package. If you go independently, each of the four parks will charge a per person fortune.

NCL will not allow you to leave your 10-month-old on the ship in port.

Only Carnival and NCL will accept 2-year-olds into their childrens' programs. Other lines start at 3 or older. No lines start younger (not even Disney, which is at 3) for kids to be sans parents during the day. I think you will have to gear toward your 10-year-old but look at age restrictions, too, as kayaking, snorkeling, horseback riding, etc will be out of the question with an infant - look at things like stingray cities, turtle farms, bus tours, etc. and keep your 10-month old in a backpack-type carrier.

Disney has Flounder's Nursery for infants to toddlers under 3 for a fee. I used that one time for my youngest to enjoy 2 hours out by the pool.

We are taking the same cruise in May. We are going to do Sea World while in port in Florida. We will have 2 - 3 year olds so that will be fun for them. Of the parks there I believe that is an easy one to see in about 8 hours - plus they will be more than ready by then. In Nassau we got beach passes at the Hilton which is easy walking from the ship. Most of the money you pay for the day there goes back to you in food credit. Plus you can use the pool and their beach. Towels and beach toys included!!

we left our 18 month old on the ship in nassau so yes u can leave a child under 2 on the boat when you are in port . we had to be on the boat 3 hours before departure .and we were not charged anything for it

we left our 18 month old on the ship in nassau so yes u can leave a child under 2 on the boat when you are in port . we had to be on the boat 3 hours before departure .and we were not charged anything for it

How did that work? NCL doesn't have any child care for children younger than 2. Who did you call/meet with to arrange it? Where did you take your child? I know NCL absolutely will not change diapers and the pagers parents are given only work onboard. How did they take care of that concern?

Seriously, this would be extremely helpful information for parents cruising on NCL.

beachchick

We are on budget when it comes to expenses while on the cruise and I can't see paying some of the high prices for a 10-month old.

FYI, NCL doesn't charge anything for infants to go on excursions. So if you take your 10-month-old with you on an excursion, there will not be an extra fee for him/her. Which is good news for us, too, as we are taking a 17-month-old! :)

Archived