Tips on avoiding build a bear on Carnival

SuperCoolOne

With 3 kids, we would like to avoid the Build A Bear activity (assuming it is available on the Fascination).

They have plenty of Build A Bear stuffed animals already and we know how quickly this can add up. The only time we go on land is when someone takes them or I have coupons.

Is it listed in the capers? And is it tied into another activity where the kids may be doing something and they get told about it or something?

Ear plugs and a blindfold. :p

Seriously there is no escaping it. The counselors MARKET it. They hold the animals up to the kids and say "After lunch we'll be making THESE BEARS so don't forget to tell mom and dad to bring you to our build a buddy project in the lounge"

So you are helpless to stop it.

You can go to your children in advance (before the cruise) and address it with them. Tell them that there will be a build a bear onboard and instead of getting those bears you have decided that as a family you are going to take THAT money and do something fun as a family {insert cool family fun idea here -- like a beach excursion at one of the ports}

So once they get onboard and start whining about the bears, you can gently remind them that you are planning the "fun family outing" instead of getting one silly bear that will just sit collecting dust.

However -- what we have done. I allow my girls to get one bear as their ONE souvenir for each cruise. They know not to whine for a souvenir at each port stop. The bears on each cruise is their one thing that they get to take home. If I choose to buy them something else in port, then that is my decision (not theirs) and not up for discussion. ;)

With 3 kids, we would like to avoid the Build A Bear activity (assuming it is available on the Fascination).

They have plenty of Build A Bear stuffed animals already and we know how quickly this can add up. The only time we go on land is when someone takes them or I have coupons.

Is it listed in the capers? And is it tied into another activity where the kids may be doing something and they get told about it or something?

Yesterday in Walmart my 3 year old put random things in my cart that he wanted me to purchase for him. I kept pulling them out and saying "no, we don't need that" he asked why, I said "we have enough at home" He said he needed it, I responded "no". He didnt melt down but that is probably because he knows that it doesn't get anywhere with me.

Try just saying "no" and meaning it.

When my kids get upset about stuff like this, and start to pout, I always say "well then, I guess you are going to have to be upset" and I continue to do whatever it is I was doing and ignore them.

It's important for kids to understand that, just because they are in a candy store does not mean they get candy. (both literally and figuratively)

It's important to set limits.

In fact why dont you preface the entire cruise with a conversation about how the ship does have build a bear but they already have enough so you and daddy have decided that there will be no build a bear on this vacation. Have your husband sit behind you and nod the entire time you are saying this. That way, when you get on the ship and they ask, you can say no and cite the prior conversation you had with them.

It would be me and my partner (2 moms, no dad).

Yes, we probably will have a conversation with them beforehand about this. As far as them earning the money for this, they get a monthly allowance and we don't hand out extra for chores or anything else at this point.

Our kids have definitely heard no before and know that we mean it when we say it.

That being said, it is their vacation too and we'd like them to have a good time as well.

The easiest thing would be to make sure they each pack one of their stuffed build a bear animals so they can be reminded that they already have them.

If it was a fixed rate, like 20 per kid, that would be easy but I am reading 40 per kid and times that by 3...yikes. I know how build a bear adds up very quickly!

Yes, we probably will have a conversation with them beforehand about this. As far as them earning the money for this, they get a monthly allowance and we don't hand out extra for chores or anything else at this point.

Our kids have definitely heard no before and know that we mean it when we say it.

That being said, it is their vacation too and we'd like them to have a good time as well.

The easiest thing would be to make sure they each pack one of their stuffed build a bear animals so they can be reminded that they already have them.

If it was a fixed rate, like 20 per kid, that would be easy but I am reading 40 per kid and times that by 3...yikes. I know how build a bear adds up very quickly!

mom/dad, dad/dad, mom/mom

lol, as long as you have backup, cuz lordy knows we need it! ;)

It sounds like your kids are approaching the age where they really need guidance as to how they choose to spend their money (as opposed to just saying no). Maybe the better pre cruise talk to have is the one where you acknowledge that there is a build a bear on the ship but wanted to mention now that they have enough build a bears already (show them) and you really dont think it would be wise/responsible/smart (whatever word works best with them) to spend their money on another build a bear. Then, when you get on the ship, you can remind them of the conversation and hope they listen.

Good luck!

Ok, I don't want to hijack, but I didn't even know about a Build-A-Bear on carnival! Is it a store or is it just something available through the camp? Do they have it on the dream? Do they have a fun ship freddy build-a-bear? Thank You in advance!

Yes, some of the 'bear' choices are Funship Freddy. One cruise we went on had a special time with the big Freddy to build Freddy. I think you can get the basic bear for $20-$25. However, we all know the basic bear is not good enough. I think it was $30-$35 with two outfits. IMHO, I'd rather buy them a stuffed animal from the gift store than do build a bear. ($10 Funship freddy that is cheaper and better quality than the build a bear one.) If they go to camp they will get alot of other Carnival stuff for free. On our last cruise we came home with a t-shirt, carnival tote, rubic's cube, picture frame and a couple of other little trinkets all from Camp Carnival.

Also, it's not like the store where they have the machine that stuffs them, you have to hand stuff them. All the activity involves is picking out the bear and then stuffing it on your own. It has been my experience that they offer it during late night babysitting and then also on sea days during the afternoon usually on the promanade. It will be listed in the capers.

Ear plugs and a blindfold. :p

Seriously there is no escaping it. The counselors MARKET it. They hold the animals up to the kids and say "After lunch we'll be making THESE BEARS so don't forget to tell mom and dad to bring you to our build a buddy project in the lounge"

So you are helpless to stop it.

;)

To add I found distraction works wonders. They do push those bears pretty hard. I only have one, so I pick her up, tell her no, then we get lunch, then hit the slide of golf. She get too busy to worry about the now called, "Teddy Bear Work shop".

Yes, some of the 'bear' choices are Funship Freddy. One cruise we went on had a special time with the big Freddy to build Freddy. I think you can get the basic bear for $20-$25. However, we all know the basic bear is not good enough. I think it was $30-$35 with two outfits. IMHO, I'd rather buy them a stuffed animal from the gift store than do build a bear. ($10 Funship freddy that is cheaper and better quality than the build a bear one.) If they go to camp they will get alot of other Carnival stuff for free. On our last cruise we came home with a t-shirt, carnival tote, rubic's cube, picture frame and a couple of other little trinkets all from Camp Carnival.

Also, it's not like the store where they have the machine that stuffs them, you have to hand stuff them. All the activity involves is picking out the bear and then stuffing it on your own. It has been my experience that they offer it during late night babysitting and then also on sea days during the afternoon usually on the promanade. It will be listed in the capers.

I've never seen it late night, only on sea days. Oh, BTW, they push the after 10 PM babysitting activities, (for a cost), as well.

Just another FYI, one of the bears is a St. Jude type bear which proceeds go to St. Jude Hospital. Now you have the guilt factor on top.

OP- Not to change the subject, but since you did I will tell you that usually one late night (usually the first sea day) is the late night party for the kids. I don't know what ages yours are, but the party would be a good night to plan for the kids to attend. They usually have good activities, snacks and prizes.

Thanks! Just DH & I on this cruise, no kids yet but thought that a Fun Ship Freddie would be a cute souvenir for our niece who is five. I definitely think the $10 gift store will be just fine. Thanks for the response.

:D

I've already budgeted for it (assuming they have it on Fascination) for my 4 younger kids. They LOVE build-a-bear, but I only have brought them twice, once when they each recieved a $25 gift card for christmas and then last summer when we went to disney, we ate at "T-Rex Cafe" and they have Build-A-Dino. :rolleyes: So I let them do that-oh lordy was that expensive :eek:

They can do the bears, but that is going to be their souvenir!:)

I wonder how it works, do I set a spending limit with the camp staff, or do they just go hog wild? Thats a little scary. My daughter would buy 15 outfits if I let her!

Not to try and change your mind on whether you want to build-a-bear or not, but I am pretty excited about the new St. Jude's bear. Proceeds will go to the St. Judes charity that Carnival is participating in. http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/stjude/default.aspx?cid=So_John%20Heald%20Blog_2783 We are budgeting for it because I want one probably more so than my child will.

The nice thing about the build-a-bear is it's not during "regular" hours when all of the kids are in there. It's usually during a special time. We just tell DD no. We will put limitations on her and tell her that she can not spend her money on ANOTHER stuffed animal. If I have one more stuffed toy in the house I will scream!! :)

You didn't say how old your kids are, but I'm bringing 4 and I'm having the same kind of worries. For my kids ages 6-11, we started a cruise jar with a tally sheet of who has put how much into the cruise jar. And to go with it is a Price Sheet - so they know what they're saving for.

My kids are having to work and save for the cruise - a dollar at a time, cleaning, pulling weeds, etc. Whatever they have saved by June will go into their sign and sail account and if they want a bear or to play laser tag they can buy it with the money they've saved.

Here is my Price Sheet so far:

Walk Around Mexico - FREE

Stay on the Ship while in port - FREE

Beaches in Progreso or Cozumel - $40

Swimming with Dolphins - $90

Unlimited Sodas - $25

4 Soft Drinks on board - $7.75

Carry Sodas on board - considerably cheaper

Late Night Party - $5/hr

T-shirt - $11.00

Baseball Cap - $12.95

Bear Workshop - $20?

Bingo Cards - $5.95/game

Fancy Desserts from the Coffee Shop - $4 - 12

Video Games in the Arcade - $0.50 - $2.00 each

Laser Tag - $5.00/game

I wondered the same thing. I noticed that one of the larger craft store chains carries "build-an-animal" type kits. My thought was to purchase 3 of those for $12 each or so and bring them with me. The kids would get to do the same thing and it wouldn't cost me $75 to $100 to do it.

In the end, I did not bring the kits, I just warned them in advance that we weren't going to be doing it. I also ordered souvenier "Funship Freddie" stuffed figures for each of them from Bon Voyage that were waiting in the cabin for a "souvenier" - these were about $12 each...

My kids did not go to camp during the day so it turned out to be a non-issue anyway.

Offer to take them miniature golfing or on the water slide instead. My kids would take those two over build-a-thing any day.

hb5

We were aboard the Legend, and we were fortunate enough that the kids saw the bears.... and weren't really interested in that activity.

It's not like Build-a-Bear... it's a bear (or Freddie) that you stuff and buy stuff for... at least, that's what they saw on the Legend.

We lucked out. Luckily, though, I'm sure there are enough distractions aboard a ship where you can say "No!" and avoid the whine.

Well, you just KNOW that Carnival gets a percentage from Build-A-Bear! It's like racks of yummy candy displayed at the check-out counter, or people outside toy stores displaying cute things for purchase, or McDonald's offering cheap plastic toys in a Kid's Meal. It's a business tactic that works many times, because the kids love it! There were plenty of times when mine were young that I had to deal with this kind of "enticement". There were some times I said "OK", but usually said, "Knock it off!" if they got whiny and insistent. I'm one of those who really hates stuffed animals! They were usually gifts, and you can just imagine the number accumulated after five kids! Put on shelves, placed into closets, and finally given away. Interestingly, not one of them (now adults) ever showed a long attachment to a stuffed animal, but I have a box of well-worn and well-laundered blankies! A souvenir T-shirt for ten bucks is a good idea!

What I think is funny is I really wanted to do the building a bear with my son because I've never built a bear before. He told me he didn't want to because he has plenty of stuffed animals at home. Maybe some of my practicality is starting to rub off on him. I would definitely address is pre-cruise so they understand the boundaries. Maybe give a couple of alternatives that you can live with and let them decide.

Sorry, I was working all day trying to get my house back in order...lol. PRICE FOR BEARS

$33 for a bear with 3 outfits or $19.99 for a bear with just a t-shirt

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

And this is how they had it set up on Triumph. NO this isn't all the ones we bought....lol. It's just the ones that were available...

074.jpg

075.jpg

076.jpg

077.jpg

Archived