VCE (airport) to St Mark's Square

CarlandAndrea

My head is about to explode after researching the transportation options so I am hoping someone can explain this to me like I am a first grader:

I think the blue line Aliguana boat is an option, although it only runs every hour. I read that it is 27 EU pp. Is this correct? It seems high for what sounds like a bus.

I found a "private" transfer on Viatour for about $40 pp. This seems like a better option for the price but it still seems like I am missing something - like a water bus that runs for a few euros pp?

We went to Venice 8 years ago and caught the water bus at the train station to St Mark's Square and I thought it was less than 10 eu pp.

There are several Alilaguna lines from the Airport to San Marco, not only the Gold line (fastest). The Blue and Red lines also go between the two. You can see the timetables and routes here: http://www.alilaguna.it/venice-and-alilaguna.html The price is 12 Euro per person, one way.

An Alilaguna ticket is not the same as a vaporetto ticket, they are run by two different companies. From the train station you would have used the vaporetto. There are several different vaportto tickets:

6,50 € - 60 minutes

16,00 € - 12-HOUR TRAVELCARD

18,00 € - 24-HOUR TRAVELCARD

23,00 € - 36-HOUR TRAVELCARD

28,00 € - 48-HOUR TRAVELCARD

33,00 € - 72-HOUR TRAVELCARD

50,00 € - 7 DAYS TRAVELCARD

Information on the vaporettos is here: http://www.actv.it/en/movinginvenice/movinginvenice

The private transfer you found is probably a water version of a shared van service from another airport - a water taxi shared by several strangers.

The difference between express gold line and other line is 20 min (and 12 euros pp o/w) from VCE to San Marco. Another option is 3 euro airport FlyBus to Piazzale Roma and regular water bus from there.

I am planning a trip to Venice, we arrive at Marco Polo Airport on April 15. I have read quite a few different ideas about how to get to Venice from the Airport, and this is a summary of what I have found:

1. ATVO Bus #5, by land, Airport to Piazzale Roma, 20 mins, 3 Euro
  2. Land Taxi, Airport to Piazzale Roma, approx 20 mins, 35 Euro
  3. Alilaguna ferry service, by water, to San Marco, 90 mins, 12 Euro
  4. Alilaguna Oro Line, by water, to San Marco, 60 mins, 25 Euro
  5. Water taxi, by water, to your hotel, 25 mins, 95 Euro and up

Obviously if you end up at Piazzale Roma, there are Vaporettos leaving every few minutes, that will get you to San Marco, they run 6.50 Euro

You can buy a Travel Pass at http://www.veniceconnected.com, that will get you a discount on the Alilaguna service, or a Free ride on the ATVO (http://www.atvo.it) bus. The travel passes include service on the vaporettos, available for different time periods.

I hope this helps. I know I will be there in a week and I hope I have it all down! Have a good vacation!:cool:

The difference between express gold line and other line is 20 min (and 12 euros pp o/w) from VCE to San Marco. Another option is 3 euro airport FlyBus to Piazzale Roma and regular water bus from there.

Keep in mind that you would have to walk across the Piazale Roma to get to the Vaporetto piers. The vaporettos do have luggage restrictions and extra charges for luggage and a single vaporetto ride does cost 6.5 Euros. So using the FlyBus plus Vaporetto will cost at least 9.50 Euros (plus luggage charges if applicable) and involve some walking..not to mention dealing with the oft crowded vaporettos. That is why the Alilagauna is actually a pretty good deal from the airport to St Marks Square as long as you have no more then one piece of luggage per person (this is included in their 12 Euro fare).

Hank

Archived