Have you ever gotten Sea lice(rash under suit) from snorkeling?

luv2gonow

This is similar to swimmers itch in inland lakes in Northern States and Canada - ours is mainly caused by duck lice. They thrive in the shallows and on beaches, that is why in a lot cases it appears mainly on the legs and lower extremities. If you rinse off right away and towel dry you might not be affected. Lice will happen no matter where you go and unfortunately is a part of nature. And they are parasites and do burrow into the skin and that is why they can often reappear. Caladryl and similar products do help with the itch.

Wow, I'm so glad I just read this thread. I used to get these all the time as a kid when I went to the beach. Now I'm not so crazy after all. Regardless, Safe Sea is going on the packing list.

In 1992 I got a bad case of "sea lice" while snorkeling with my husband in Key Largo, FL. The divemaster recommended using a topical anti-histamine gel or cream. I bought "Didelamine" (or some variation on that spelling) from Eckerd Drugs. She also recommended I stand in the hottest shower I could possibly bear for as long as I could, then turn the water up hotter!!! Immediately following I was to slather the gel/cream on RIGHT AWAY and then let it soak into the opened pores. Because I had so many welts on my chest, arms and back I also took an oral anti-histamine, (Benadryl) and promptly fell asleep soon after dinner that evening, our first wedding anniversary! Days later, when I got back in the water briefly, they "re-hydrated" and were itchy all over again. They take some time to go away.

I have never had them since but I also look for the little eggs that the jellyfish larvae are in/breaking out of while swimming...very tiny.

that's it...I'm really itching and this threat is really creeping me out, now i don't want to go to Grand turk, Half moon Cay or the Bahamas :eek:, but we've cruised 2 times and we've never come in contact with any, so hopefully not in 27 days either!

Need to buy some of that stuff for our cruise, as I couldn't even imagine my 3yo and 6yo getting these sand/sea lice burrowed into their skin :(

We just returned from Grand Cayman where we snorkeled. Some saw jelly fish in the water... We did not. One person reported a sting/bite after being in the water. We used Safe Sea (ordered directly from their web-site..just google it) They shipped the order promptly. Lots of good info on their site. Better safe than sorry. I also ordered some after sting spray just in case.

OMG....I thought just getting the rash was gross enough.....starting to twitch with the thought of these puppies buried in my skin:eek:

Waiting like a herpe to reoffend:eek::eek:

Ok....if you see me on the beach....my entire body will look like i have zinc on it....only it will be Safe Sea:o.....and my DD will be the one looking the same....only I will have a mister to spray as she walks....LOL....

When I got them I was snorkelling on a booze cruise.....certainly didn't feel any pain.....I will be asking the capt of the boat if they know of any recent outbreaks.....Aargh....

Kerri

I had Pica Pica while in Costa Rica, not pleasant at all. Very hit or miss. Out of 6 people in my scuba party 2 got it and the rest didn't. Annoying to be sure, cleared up after 4 days. My understanding is that you are most at risk in the western Caribbean, in warmer water close to the coast. The Eastern Carib seems to have less of an issue, perhaps because of the deeper and slightly cooler water.

I have not heard it being much of a problem in the S. Carib. Mostly western coast and the Bahamas. I know this all sounds really gross, but all it is are baby jellyfish running into you and getting you with their one little stinger, at which point they die. There are no little parasites bursting up through your skin a month later or anything. Take some basic cream with you and shower (in hot seawater if available) after you are in the water. I have scuba/snorkeled probably 50+ times in the Carrib and only had an issue one time, and it really wasn't that big of a deal even then. Have fun in the water and keep this worry out of your mind, if you worry about every little thing that could happen you won't have any fun on your vacation!:)

I have not heard it being much of a problem in the S. Carib. Mostly western coast and the Bahamas. I know this all sounds really gross, but all it is are baby jellyfish running into you and getting you with their one little stinger, at which point they die. There are no little parasites bursting up through your skin a month later or anything. Take some basic cream with you and shower (in hot seawater if available) after you are in the water. I have scuba/snorkeled probably 50+ times in the Carrib and only had an issue one time, and it really wasn't that big of a deal even then. Have fun in the water and keep this worry out of your mind, if you worry about every little thing that could happen you won't have any fun on your vacation!:)

haha...so true, now i hear Half Moon Cay has scorpions...jeez, i can't handle the thoughts i'll have while on the beach and in the water :(

Can you rent a Body Bubble while on shore? wow...

...and I thought all I had to worry about was being glutenous on "hit or miss" food for an entire week onboard a ship.

One more thing to pack.

I was snorkling in Cozumel, having a ball...and all of a sudden I swam through a herd of baby jellyfish! Yikes!! I almost walked on water! But I rinsed off immediately (on the boat) and had NO after effects. PHEW! But I did NOT get back in the water (just had a few too many bahama mamas! :o )

Oh my. I have never heard of this before. Here is a section from the link posted earlier explaining "sea lice"

Sea lice are not lice at all, however. They are the microscopic larvae of the thimble jellyfish (Linuche unguiculata). Around the size of speck of pepper, sea lice float freely through the warm seas during the late spring and early summer months. Areas of bare skin normally escape unscathed, but if they go through your bathing suit the fabric acts as a net and their venom can be triggered leaving large red welts and blisters - and often in the most sensitive of areas!

If you see pepper flakes RUN!!!

Edit to add: Don't forget to add "Safe Sea" to the senstitive areas. :eek:

OMG, I've never heard of this. Read about sand fleas on a post, but nothing was mentioned about sea lice.

What about the risk of it in the Southern Caribbean???? More or less likely??? Either way, I guess it's best to be prepared!

Same questions here as doing Victory Itinerary in early July.

I too am getting itchy. I was all hyped up to snorkle in Barbados to see the sea turtles when I read a Victory review thread about snorklers getting sea lice. That was first time I ever heard of it. Now I am doubting the excursion.

Well, my packing list has must have add ons now:Hydrocortisone,Benedryl and Bug spray(DEET if you go to Belize -they swarm you in rainforest)

The safest thing to to is to cancel your cruise, stock up on food and water, close your blinds and spend the next 40 years in your house. Thats the safest thing. Enjoy.

You forgot the plastic sheeting and duct tape.

We just returned from Grand Cayman where we snorkeled. Some saw jelly fish in the water... We did not. One person reported a sting/bite after being in the water. We used Safe Sea (ordered directly from their web-site..just google it) They shipped the order promptly. Lots of good info on their site. Better safe than sorry. I also ordered some after sting spray just in case.

We're heading out on the Legend in two weeks and I purchased four bottles of the "repellent" and one bottle of the string spray in the hopes that it keeps the critters away or at least lessens the severity. If I can confirm that it actually works, or doesn't work, I will be sure to post on CC for everyone to read.

If you order some of the Sea Safe product be aware that the application instructions recommend a fairly generous coating that is about 1oz of cream per person per application. If you are a large person (pleasantly plump :cool: ) it might take you a couple ounces to treat yourself thusly just two applications per 4oz bottle! Purchasing a few bottles may be in order if you & family like going in the beach water.

In 10 cruises I have not had this happen to any in our group. Leave the stuff at home as it is more weight in your suitcase and you probably won't need it. At best, bring just a small bottle - just my opinion

Archived