Our tour of canal with Oscar (Limon)

Elcruzer

We went on a wonderful tour with Oscar on Jan. 20th. He met us at our ship as promised. We were on a bus with guide Carlos, who was very informative. Oscar was traveling in van with another group who were scheduled to do zipline but since it was raining they decided to do canal also and both vehicles traveled together. I highly recommend this tour. Besides the boat ride, we went to animal sanctuary where I held a tiny baby monkey. There were other animals and birds that you could hold. We also went to banana plantation where we saw the whole process from cutting to boxing and shipping. We then went to a lovely restaurant where you got a beautiful view of the whole island, including seeing our ship in the harbor. Carlos took us to a local store to buy coffee which was less expensive than the shops by the ship. He also stopped by a roadside stand and bought organic bananas for us to taste - delicious. I found Oscar and Carlos to be very accommodating and informative, answering any questions we had.

I will be glad to answer any questions you have regarding this tour.

Eleanor

Oscar met us at the ship at our pre-determined time - 8AM Costa Rica but 9AM Ship time.

The boats held about 12 people and had canopy. They had ponchos on board for anyone that needed since it was raining that day. We saw sloths, bats, many different birds and flowers. Our driver was speeding to different spots at times and think now that we should have told him to just go slowly and perhaps we would have seen more. We did see and get to hold animals at the sanctuary.

Our group of 30+ on the Feb. 25th Brilliance cruise is scheduled to do tours through Limon Caribbean Tours - is that Oscar? The person we have received emails from is Libert Cohen. We do need additonal persons for the Zip Line Tour and the Aerial Tram Tour if anyone is interested. Most of our group is going on the San Jose Tour.

melpeg@mindspring.com

You forgot to mention that he had his van stocked with soft drinks and beer!

I doubt any of the ship tours had that!

He even drove us up to the loading dock ( as far as he could go) when we returned because it was raining when we returned!

He is the BEST.

You forgot to mention that he had his van stocked with soft drinks and beer!

I doubt any of the ship tours had that!

He even drove us up to the loading dock ( as far as he could go) when we returned because it was raining when we returned!

He is the BEST.

Yes thank you for reminding me, we could have all the beer, soda, bottled water we wanted. Carlos dropped some of us off at the flea market that was near the ship and the others went right to the ship. You couldn't ask for better service.

Eleanor

• 5 months later...

Does anyone have an email address for Oscar or even a web site? I would also be interested as the previous writer wrote about walking. We too will have an elderly person who can not do long amounts of walking.

Thanks

Donna

Below is the email information I received from Oscar just this week. I hope this helps you.

This si what I offer for this tour:

Tour #1.

The Tortuguero Canal tour is a tour through the rain forest, where as you go comfortable in a boat, you can see all wild life: alligator, monkeys, slots, different type of birds, Then I will take you to the Bamboo trade school, banana plantation, coco beans farm, City tour, a tour at the ANIMAL PRESERVE PLACE where you see while life and get personal contact with them (no snakes), a white sand beach, the rich area, and a surprise stop; witch will take you to the highest part of the city. I include soft drinks along the tour. We have a stop for the purchasing of souvenirs and coffee. This is $50 per person, and it goes for 5 hours, sometimes more. It's deppending on what you want to do.

Sometimes people like to go to the restaurant to have lunch, and this takes a bit eof time, but it is something to see on the top of the hill.

This is the tour the any age peole can do with no problem, and will love to do, trust me on that.

Tour #2.

The Canopy tour: This is a sieve line where you switch from one three to a another: Hiking in the jungle., I include a stop on a white sand beach are a black sand beach, it is your chaise, a visit to the Bamboo trade school, banana plantation, coco beans farm, The animal preserve place, City tour, the rich area, and a surprise stop; witch will take you to the highest part of the city. This is $75 per/person, no extra charge. This include transportation and zip lining and a stop for the purchase for coffee and souvenirs . I will make the reservation, it is better that way. This tour is for 5 to 6 hours, sometimes more. This is depend on what the group want to do.

The one that don't want to do the zip line, only pay $35 for the transportation, and I will take them to a little village near by meanwhile the others do the zip line.

Tour #3.

Tour to the Aerial Tram:

This tour takes you to the highest part of Costa Rica giving you the best vie through the highest part of the country, in the rain forest. And the way to this place you see pine apple plantation, carne fields and rafting river. This is $50 for transportation and you pays $49.50 for the going on the aerial tram. Then After I will take you to a surprise stop. This tour is for 6 to 7 hours, I include soft drink along the road

Tour # 4

And I have the Costa Flores, and the butterfly tour, here you see lots of flowers all different variety , the same thing at the butterfly place, the only thing is that they charge to enter each places, and I make a special price for the transportation and to enter to both places; $80 per person, (they charge a fee to enter these places). I include in this tour, pine apple and banana plantation, a stop at a place where you see all different species of fish, soft drink along the road. With this tour you see and learn a lot more things of this country.

Tour #5

For the Sloth Sanctuary I include a visit to the Bamboo trade school, banana plantation, coco beans farm, City tour, the two biggest hotels around the coast, one is a botanical garden, and the other one has a nice vie on a tall hill, the rich area, and a surprise stop; witch will take you to the highest part of the city. This is $30 per/person, for the transportation, and to enter the Sloth Sanctuary you pay $25 and this include the canopy tour the gives in this place. So in all it will be $55 per person for every thing.

Tour #6

The Cahuita National Park and a tour on the beaches of Limon.

This tour take you to the Cahuita National Park of Limon, where they charge a donation to enter the park, and for a walk through the forest, and you have a chance to see, monkey, sloth’s, and other animals. And also, get the history and information of this particular forest.

For this tour I take your to see 2 different beach of the area; Cahuita beach, and Puerto Viejo beach. With these two beaches you have the opportunity to see the with sand beach and the black sand beach. (This is for the people who love to bead in the sea)

Besides, I include, soft drinks along the road, a visit to the Bamboo trade school, banana plantation, coco beans farm, City tour, the two biggest hotels around the coast, one is a botanical garden, and the other one has a nice vie on a tall hill, the rich area, and a surprise stop; witch will take you to the highest part of the city. This is $50 per/person, no extra charge.

You will have the opportunity to visit the installation of Colon Caribe, where you have one of the biggest souvenir shop. Are if you prefer, we will just go to the market to do your shopping, this is your choice.

This tour is for 5 to 6 hours, sometimes more

Some times I make a combination tour, so you can have more of this beautiful country. I combine the #1 and #2 tour, this with the special price of $110 per person. Or the #1 and the #3 tour for $100 per person. I will take you to the Animal Preserve place with any one of these tours.. They have no snake there. All the tours have soft drinks along the road.

Some times I make a combination tour, so you can have more of this beautiful country. I combine the #1 and #2 tour, this with the special price of $110 per person. Or the #1 and the #3 tour for $100 per person. I will take you to the Animal Preserve place with any one of these tours.. They have no snake there. All the tours have soft drinks along the road.

Thanks for posting Oscar's info. I was also interested in his tours. I will try to contact him via email today. We have 19 people in our group. I wonder if he can accommodate all of us between Carlos and him??

Large group advice anyone??

We booked a tour with Oscar but business was so good he sent just the two us with Carlos. We had a wonderful time. We took the canal ride, saw a big banana plantation, played with a monkey, saw a pet sloth up close,swam at a beach, ate at a restaurant overlooking the harbor and stopped at the supermarket.

Beware! zip lining can be dangerous two people on our cruise got badly bruised. A broken leg will ruin your cruise.

SteveS,

We have ziplined with Oscar before, I am curious as to how someone got badly bruised. When we ziplined it was very safe and we had guides to catch us if we were a little to fast. I felt safe for the entire tour, even if I kept braking with the wrong hand. I am taking a large group with Oscar for our cruise in Jan 2006 has the safety of Almonds and Corals gone down? I know that when we did the zipline Aurora herself gave us instructions on how to stop ourselves or slow ourselves down so we weren't going to fast........actually one of group had to do the hand over hand and get himself to the platform as he was going backwards:D He is a trooper and will be doing the zipline again.

Is the Animal Preserve he speaks of a place where they are nursing injured animals /orphaned back to health or is it more like a zoo. I would prefer not to have people profit from capturing healthy animals and caging them, however if my money is helping sick and orphaned anuimals I would be happy to be there

ANyone know??

Imacruiser,

We went to Almonds and Corals and they were very clean and professional.

Oscar includes the price of the zipline in his tours. Oscar was just getting started when we used him a few years ago. I can't tell you what a wonderful day you will have with him. Our ship was over an hour and half arriving at port and he waited for us. We had a group of eight of us and two from the Brilliance that arrived in port before we do. I did have trouble with contacting him by email so I picked up the phone and called him. I used my regular long distance phone company, but have since found that you can use an ATT card and it is cheaper to call out of the US. We have made such wonderful friends on our cruises that it doesn't take long to go through a card. Please ask any questions that you have and I will try to answer them. I already have him booked for our January cruise on the Brilliance..... I need to call him as we will have a large group and some don't want to zipline. So we shall see what other things that he can do for people that want to ride in the same van as the zipline people, but don't want to zip... just watch us for the first jump.

To my knowledge there is only one zipline in Puerto Limon, actually it takes a good while, unless they have improved the roads, to get there. I think we are 179 days out from our crusie.... can't wait to give Oscar a hug.

• 4 weeks later...

Immacruiser,

I talked to Oscar on the phone a couple of days ago and he is not taking people to Almonds and Corals anymore. He is now using a zipline that is closer than the one we did in 2004. This zipline is alot closer to the port, so you can zipline and do other things as well. I really didn't want to make that long trip again to Almonds and Corals as the road is horrible getting there.

Since I haven't done the zipline at Las Brisas (sic) I can't report on the safety, but looking at their website they look like they are very similar to A & C, with one exception. This new place looks like you will have better views when you are on the platforms.

SteveS,

I am still curious as to how some of your group got bruised? Was it the equipment or safety procedures? I don't need a broken leg at all.... do you know where they did their zipline from?

Immacruiser,

Here is the link to the new place, you will have a wonderful time with Oscar. I am excited that he can handle larger groups now. He told me that he took a group of 96 people recently.... of course not all in one vehicle LOL.

Here is the link

- : : JUNGLE BREEZE : : -

Tell him Colleen said HI!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived