NCL or HAL with kids 7 & 9

bbrme

We took our first cruise in Dec on the NCL Jewel with our kids and they loved it. They loved the kids club and the freestyle dining worked really well for us - we were able to feed the kids at the buffet when they were hungry and then DH and I were able to have a nice peaceful dinner alone while the kids played at the kids club. We are planning to do this again next Nov/Dec and came across a great deal on the Westerdam going to islands that we have never been to. I would love to get some idea on whether HAL will work for us. Do they have freestlye dining? Will we be able to put them in the kids club while we go to dinner? How is Club Hal? What are the cooking activities like? DD (7) would love to do crafts and low key activities while DS (9) is more active.

Thanks for all your help!

Beth

It depends on the time of year. HAL has a good kids program as well...but it really is geared more towards adults and a slower pace than Norwegian or Carnival. Check Carnival for the same islands and you will probably find them..they also have excellent kids clubs, as do RCCL....

It's true, HAL has 3rd and 4th passengers free right now. Their deals are smokin' right now! My kids would rather have less kids and more individual attention - which is why I think they will like HAL. Everything I have read is positive about Club HAL. We just went on a Carnival cruise as a family, but our next one I just booked is a HAL (went on several as a couple). I prefer HAL to Carnival in many ways. True, the passengers on HAL are generally older - but not by much. On the 10 days + cruises, the age is definitely generally older. However, we met many many nice folks and were pleased with every aspect of our cruises. The overall ambiance on the cruise is quieter, more peaceful and the scheduled activities are not so geared to late night happenings.

They also have open dining and I believe (not positive though) they are open during dinner hours. I have never been on NCL, so my thoughts are one sided, but I can wholeheartedly recommend HAL. Also, don't miss Half Moon Cay. It's the most beautiful beach I've ever been to - also wonderful for kids.

We have an 8 year old DD and have taken her on HAL several times and it's been great. No, there's no rock wall or ice skating rink, but we never pick those kinds of ships. HAL tries VERY hard with families and deserves more credit than they get for their efforts.

There is Club HAL, open mornings, afternoons and evenings, with enthusiastic staff and a wide range of activities. There is a kids menu in the dining room and great pools on board.

If you want slides and bowling alleys, HAL isn't for you. But if you want a more refined experience, then by all means go with HAL. There will plenty of other kids on board during vacation time, just not the hundreds and hundreds you get on other lines, which is something of a blessing. HAL staff are great with kids and very welcoming. We would definitely sail HAL again with our DD.

The kids club is closed from approx 5-7, so they do go to dinner with you, or go to the buffet. And yes, there is As You Wish Dining from 5.30PM onwards.

Archived