Water shoes?

NEHMAR

happened to a friend of mine too. he need an operation to get it out of his foot.

I agree. Digging a sharp rock out of my girlfriend's foot with tweezers wasn't much fun, for her at least.

I bought these shoes in pink for my last cruise. I got them from Lands End. If you notice, they are closed toe which some excursions require. I love them. I wore them everywhere, not just in the water. I have also worn them white water rafting. They are perfect.

283307.AH.08._.jpg

I bought these shoes in pink for my last cruise. I got them from Lands End. If you notice, they are closed toe which some excursions require. I love them. I wore them everywhere, not just in the water. I have also worn them white water rafting. They are perfect.

283307.AH.08._.jpg

Is it a hassle to swim/snorkel in shoes like these or would you recommend the thinner water shoes/socks instead?

Is it a hassle to swim/snorkel in shoes like these or would you recommend the thinner water shoes/socks instead?

Depends. If you're swimming, it's not really an issue. If you're snorkeling and using fins, I'd recommend dive socks of flipper slippers:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=diving+socks&sprefix=diving+sock

For any water activity, water shoes are a good idea. Of course, allot of the time you could go barefoot of with flip flops, but when you need them you'll be glad you have them. Not all sea has a nice sandy bottom, and nothing will ruin your trip like a nice sharp piece of coral in the foot. Flip flops have a habit of falling off when you least expect it, or demand half your attention just to keep them on. You can buy very cheap water shoes at any chain department store, walmart, etc. for less than $10 a pair. Its worth it. They will last you a cruise or two and save you some stubbed toes and headache.

Would you wear them around the ship as well (not in the MDR)? I'm guessing the decks get super hot in the Caribbean sun.

ETA: water shoes

You could, but (the cheap ones) don't offer much support and may not be so comfortable that you want to wear them all the time.......

I've packed the water socks on every cruise and vacation that we've been on. I've yet to use them, despite lots of beach time.

But then again, I have REALLY tough feet. Not much can get through the thick callouses (by-product of having grown up in the boonies, where we put our shoes away for the summer, no matter how hard I try, they just won't go away).

So, I guess what I'm saying is that it depends on your feet. If you are unaccustomed to walking on gravel barefoot then definitely wear water shoes. If the thought of walking across hot pavement and/or gravel doesn't scare you, then skip the water shoes.

I am in love with KEENs. A bit more expensive-but have really good toe protection (i trip a lot) and they are great for doing things like hiking where you'll get wet. I also really like Teva's for just like normal beachy water shoes.

My partner and I love our Water Shoes and wear them all the time when we cruise. We originally bought them for cave tubing in Belize, but have used them all over the place. My advice is to just spend the money and get a good pair. We bought ours at REI here in Atlanta. I have used them for:

- Cave Tubing in Belize
- Hike to Middleham Falls in Dominica
- Hike in Costa Rica rainforest
- Jolly Beach, Antigua (the beach was VERY rough)
- Aquaventure at Atlantis
- Trunk Bay, St Johns snorkeling
- Beach and boardwalk in Barbados

Much, much more. They are the perfect shoe to put on for a day at the beach if you are unsure of the conditions. The tread on them is also good for some hiking especially if you know you are heading into areas that can be wet. They are also great for the pool decks if it is hot out. You don't even have to take them off to jump in the pool. Just go for it and spend the money on a good pair if you are going to buy them. Cheap shoes will eat up your feet.

[quote name='NEHMAR']What is your opinion on needing water shoes for various excursions, like dolphin swim, stingray encounter, scuba diving, etc...? Will flip-flops do, or do we need shoes that we can keep on our feet and get wet in?[/quote]

Thank God I bought them when we went up Dunn's River Falls! You definitely need them there! I haven't used them otherwise.

[quote name='Sherrybaby412']I bought these shoes in pink for my last cruise. I got them from Lands End. If you notice, they are closed toe which some excursions require. I love them. I wore them everywhere, not just in the water. I have also worn them white water rafting. They are perfect.

[IMG]http://www.landsend.com/IMAGES/PRODUCT/283307.AH.08._.jpg[/IMG][/quote]have a similar pair in lt. blue. They are also great for rainy days, water parks, stay on, good arch support and dry quicker than water shoes that are mesh type. Only downside is rinsing off sand from inside toes to not grind under feet when walking.
oh and the toe cover saved my foot in St. Maarten from a cut off pole on sidewalk..priceless.

I'm not sure I'd use the water shoes after the cruise, so I hate to spend a lot of money on them. And maybe it's silly, but the ones we have at our Walmart are hideously ugly, either bright pink that you can probably spot from the moon, or solid black. I think my plan is to either buy the cheapy walmart ones and carry them in my backpack when we get to port, then put them on when I need them... or I can try ebay and see if I can find a better brand pair that someone else only used for a cruise, and throw them in the washing machine when I get them. They're water shoes, so they can take it, right? Not that there are a lot of bargains on ebay anymore, but that's a whole other subject.

Can't wait for May!

[quote name='LemurCat']Depends. If you're swimming, it's not really an issue. If you're snorkeling and using fins, I'd recommend dive socks of flipper slippers:

[URL]http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=diving+socks&sprefix=diving+sock[/URL][/quote]

What she said.

the problem with the cheapo water shoes is that if you are going to be doing a lot of walking, they are terrible on your knees.

I bought some reef type shoes from Reebok a few years back.. I walk back and forth to the beach, wear them all day at water parks,lived in them in Cozumel and Panama.. and pretty much live in them any time I'm going to be near water.

something on this idea...in adult sizes! [url]http://www.zappos.com/timberland-kids-duneblaster-youth-2-white-smooth-with-pink?zlfid=111[/url]

Bought water shoes last year on Swim Outlet.com for $5.00 a pair on close out. Love them. Will be taking with us in a couple of weeks. We always take water shoes.

I am a diabetic and cannot afford to cut my feet open and get an infection.

I use a sport sandal which is great around rocky beaches and adventure excursions. Got mine at L.L Bean about $30.

DW has water shoes that look just like walking shoes with the exception that they have drainage holes in the soles and porous uppers. She says that they are great to walk in as well. We got those at Amazon about $60.

I wouldn't take these in the water with stingrays or dolphins but they are great on rapid river tours in Dominica and rocky beaches like in St. Kitts. Good investment for us since we do so many 'wet' excursions.

Archived