Hand Showers on Princess

Buddy604

Having a mobility issue, but not using a scooter or wheelchair I like the leave the HA cabins for those who really need them. The only challenge I've had is as 6 foot, 400+ lbs guy who cannot stand for any length of time is the micro showers on Princess. Small as they are, try adding a shower stool and see how easy it is to get thoroughly cleaned. I really really miss the accessable shower.

On the off chance, though, I contacted the Princess Access Office and discovered that with at least a few weeks notice, they can arrange to have a hand shower installed in any grade of cabin. They're doing it on my upcoming two voyages.

Just thought I'd pass on the tip for other large folks and maybe free up some more HA cabins.

So nice to hear people being helpful and pleasant towards semi-handicapped individuals. I am in a similar situation (Spinal fusion, too short showers 6'3",stepping into tubs etc). If a handicap is still available near departure time, we will ask. Most lines great about helping you. I have had people seem very hostile towards someone in the handicap rooms sans wheelchair, but there are so many other reasons. I would gladly give it up if someone with a greater need came along!

It's too bad their aren't more thoughtful people like you.

I certainly don't need that extra space. I had an HA balcony some years back on the Diamond and, frankly, other than the shower it was wasted on me. I like my cabins cozy anyway.

So nice to hear people being helpful and pleasant towards semi-handicapped individuals. I am in a similar situation (Spinal fusion, too short showers 6'3",stepping into tubs etc). If a handicap is still available near departure time, we will ask. Most lines great about helping you. I have had people seem very hostile towards someone in the handicap rooms sans wheelchair, but there are so many other reasons. I would gladly give it up if someone with a greater need came along!

I do understand. I have killer sciatica and several discs bulging into the spinal cord, but because of my weight, they cannot use a spinal construction to restore it. I'm fine sitting down, but standing for any length of time and I'll be dragging my right leg behind me in agony.

I get dirty looks now and then when I pull into a handicapped spot (I have a permit) and hop out of the car quickly, but it's hard to explain that by the time I get back to it, walking those extra 20 yards is like walking 2 miles.

• 1 month later...
Just reporting back that the hand shower was waiting for me when I embarked. I'm attaching a picture to show the configuration. It was perfect for my needs.

Thanks for posting the photo. Glad that it worked out well for you and your needs were met.

Archived