'Round The Horn!

Calliope

• 3 weeks later...

I just thought that I would move this string up and get some interest in it once again!

It's less than 90 days till the QM2 leaves Rio for her maiden journey 'round the Horn. Final payments have been made, or should have been, and hopefully all whom are going are getting excited about the prospects! I certainly am.

All this talk of Upgrades, On-board Credits and Price Reductions, is just making me more and more frustrated.

We're booked on the Hawaii trip in Feb, and have been for over a year. When the 2006 brochure came out - and included the statement in bold print "It really does pay to book early." and the covering letter said "So book early and save." - the price had dropped by £1000 and the anniversary package (which we had booked) had been improved to include an upgrade.

We contacted Cunard and they acknowledged the situation and were, "looking into it." They were sure we would get the anniversary package upgrade though. Meanwhile, some people on this board and others started talking about $50/day on board credits. A mailing offered further discounts for past passengers (with 19 previous Cunard cruises I think we qualify). We contacted Cunard again. No, we weren't entitled to this as it was for new bookings only, we wouldn't get the brochure price reduction but they were working through the bookings to resolve this issue and would be in touch. The anniversary package upgrade wouldn't be an issue.

Many months after we started they contacted us to offer us an upgrade in lieu of the price reduction. On paper it's worth more than the £1000, but only if you want it. After several phone calls it was obvious it was that or nothing so we accepted. The anniversary package couldn't be dealt with until nearer sailing date.

It's now nearer sailing date and they've just told us we won't get the anniversary package upgrade because it only applies to bookings made from the 2006 brochure.

So we're still in the situation of paying £1000 more than someone booking months later for the same cabin (if they also took the anniversary package).

"It pays to book early." "book early and save." Not with Cunard it doesn't.

It's the inconsistency I find most frustrating.

Anyway, enough rant.

Regards, Colin.

Hi I have been researching all the ports. Not sure what to do. Wish Cunard would come out with their shore excursions early so we could see what they have vs doing it on our own. This is way harder than Europe to plan.When we booked onboard our crossing for this we were only given the future cruise credit . I complained about the 50.00 per person credit and then the gal on board gave us two hundred but now the booking is only showing the 600 shipboard credit which we were entitled to ie getting our deposit back onboard credit. Our cabin also got changed without us asking to a worse cabin , more obstructed, now trying to get the old one back.Cunard is saying because they discounted it after final payment by 2000.00 each if we wanted th e cheaper price we would have to take the worse cabin even though they are both in a B5 catagory. I don't think they know what they are doing over there.We get on the ship in FL and stay on till LA.Anyone know which port would be best to see penguins??

Melissa

Hi to everyone booked on some part of this cruise. I just got a notice from PortCompass that there are 8 other people interested in doing a tour and airport transfer through them from when QM2 docks at Valparaiso/Santiago, for those of us getting off there. We already purchased transfers through Cunard. Is it possible to get the money back on those if we decide to do a private tour and transfer? It would be nice to see what tours Cunard would provide for those heading to the airport that day. Anyone know when that info will be given out?

Yes you need a visa to go Brazil. As far as shots we aren't getting them as we are not planning on going to the Amazon. None others are required. Already have had Hep B shots. My TA said that she was told that the shore excursions would be coming out within the next two weeks.

Is anyone flying Heathrow-Paris-Rio to pick up QM2? We tried for hull balcony but left it a bit late so only got inside which we have never done before. Still looking forward to the trip though but not the flights!

• 2 weeks later...

It depends on which direction you are going. If you are going From New York to LA then you don't have to get the yellow fever shot but if going from LA to New York then you do. Its because to enter Brazil if you co e from several S American countries they require that you have it but If entering from the US or like I am Fl then the Caribean before Brazil I don't . We then go on to the countries that Brazil says if you come from those countries you have to have them. My doctor said unless we plan on going into a jungle then we don't need it. Since that isnot in our plans then we are not. We are doing this in Jan from Fl to LA

Hi Colin,

I too booked early for my cruises for next year on QE2, in fact was one of the 1st to book when the advance boking opened up. And with a year still to go before l return from the med cruise if you can believe the blurb about booking early and save then who knows what l might get!!! however having experience the charm of cunards wonderful customer service, l feel resigned to the fact that cunard will offer nothing else, however had it been a new booking l dare say they would have been throwing things at me.

Time willl tell l guess

cheers

Myles

Yes it is the European Community but you should not need jabs if from unaffected region unless travelling from one. Your TA should advise you.

We are from Uk and like Dallas no Yellow fever.

What trip you on? We are on QM" from Fio to Chile at end of Jan 2006 but flying from London via Paris which is a bit of a drag.

We noticed that several people have posted things about immunizations but are not having the problems we are. We are booked on the NY to LA, Jan. 15. When we got our preliminary documents one week ago, we noticed our visa application form stated we needed to get yellow fever immunizations, to apply for the Brazil visa (but the FLL to LA didn't??). After checking with both the visa service(ourselves) and Cunard (through our travel agent), their last word is that we do not need offical certificate of yellow fever vacination for the visa but we do need it, to board the ship. I have checked the CDC web site and several travel documents sites and have found out the same information mentioned earlier about Brazil requiring the certificate from people coming from countries we will visit after Brazil, and location of endemic areas, plus the side effects and that the shot is contraindicated for peope over 60 and anyone who has had a tetnus shot needs to wait at least 4 weeks before having the yellow fever shot. One of us is over 60 with some health issues and the other one just had the tetnus shot. We plan, at this point, to get "contra-indicated note", and/or shot and certificate before we leave unless we can get assurance from Cunard that they are not needed. :confused: Any further ideas or information or experiences.

Just got the excursions brochure.

Just feeling so lucky.

We had to cancel our QE2 trip and swapped to QM2 around Americas.

Phew, counting the days and no regrets.

Some/most of the tours are way out of our budget :( but to have the opportunity is so tempting.

It seems NYC to LA doesn't require the Yellow Fever inoculation.

Just about can't wait... bring it on!

Jack

Will not be on 'round the horn' but joining you in Valparaiso......

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=257839

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

QM2 February 8, 2006

Valparaiso to Los Angeles: "Andes and Americas"

Are you sailing with us???? If you are, please join our rool call. Thanks. Here is the roll call link.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=257839

I know it's a bit early and there's still over a month to go, but we've already picked out some trips from the excursion brochure and discarded others.

The tours that involve internal flights are out for us, as my wife doesn't like flying. This means Machu Picchu, Nasca Lines, Iguaza Falls and the Antartic over flight will just have to remain a dream.

St. Kitts - We're going to explore on our own. Probably walking up to the Fort and then along the coast.

Barbados - The photo adventure tour looks good, although I'm mighty tempted by the Mount Gay Distillery, Banks Brewery & Beach Bar a 4 hour "booze tour" ;)

Salvador de Bahia - Only two tours listed for this port, so we'll probably explore on our own or, hopefully with new friends we've met on board.

Rio - Obviously the statue and Sugar Loaf. Then a night on the town followed by some shopping the next day.

Montevideo - I'd really like to take in the Iguazu Falls and who knows, if we've met some new friends that my wife's comfortable to spend the day with, I might be able to take off on my own for the day!

Ushuaia - Not sure yet, probably the "End of the World" tour or maybe the Beagle Channel Cruise.

Punta Arenas - Explore on our own taking in some shopping and the museum.

Puerto Montt - ndy (no decision yet)

Valparaiso - ndy

Callao - ndy

Esmeraldas - ndy

Fuerte Amador - ndy

Puerto Caldera - The Poas Volcano tour will be a great chance to see an active volcano and some great countryside. This is THE tour I'm definitely going on! Just do a search on Google and you'll see some breathtaking photos.

Acapulco - I guess the divers are a must see.

LA - 2 nights in a Hollywood hotel and then flight back to the UK

That's our choices so far... all subject to change!

Jack

Barbados - The photo adventure tour looks good, although I'm mighty tempted by the Mount Gay Distillery, Banks Brewery & Beach Bar a 4 hour "booze tour" ;)

Sounds about right to me!

(The four hour booze tour, that is!)

Jack

We saw the divers on our canal passage a number of years ago on the Cunard Countess. It was not that grand. You are herded through, with street vendors and small urchins (cute kids) trying to sell you toy puppets and things. If you have seen this on TV, it's probably as good as seeing it live. I suppose one must see it once, or forever wonder. It was not one of the better points of Acapulco. One thing I will always remember is the incredible hotel/resorts Off the top of my head, I can't think of the really famous one- It has indivdual swimming pools for each guest that start out IN the room, then go under the wall to continue outside. I actually have been to a house that has such a pool. We borrowed the house for my 30th high school reunion. Unfortunately, it was a cold rainy night- unusual for August in Daytona Beach Florida! (well, actually Ormond Beach.) It is owned by the inventor of Hawaiian Tropic Suntan oil. The house is often used for photo shots with the Hawaiian Tropic Girls. The owner also loans it for charitable purposes, such as a hospital Auxiliary fund-raiser my Dad's wife is involved in. We got it becuse Ron Rice, the founder, actually was a teacher in my High School before he became Rich and famous, and half of my class mates work for him. Google Hawaiian Tropic and you can probably find links to the house. Here's a short bio. It even talks about the "estate" in Daytona. It's pretty interesting, actually how he invented this stuff! Hey! He even graduated from my college! University of Tennessee! http://www.hawaiiantropic.com/2004/corporation/corporation_rice.htm

Or just look at some Acapulco shots and see this hotel! Wait! I got it! It's Las Brisas! Now, that was worth seeing! And worth dreaming about having that kind of money! (well for me anyway- Some of you may HAVE that kind of money! <LOL>)

Originally Posted by jackatsea

Jack

-------------------------------------------

Jack, if you are a camera buff, as is my daughter, this is a "must see" and photograph! She got 3 incredible shots--from top of cliff, in mid-dive and hitting the water.

Archived