BUEI - walking from bus stop

Milaandra

Hello, this may sound silly, but after some absolute panic attacks walking along narrow Bermudian curving main roads hemmed in by rock walls with lorries rumbling behind or towards me... :eek::o:eek:

Is there room between you and the traffic when walking from the #7 bus stop to the Bermudian Underwater Exploration Institute?

If not, I'll head straight into town and take a cab! Real life is stressful enough without having it on vacation, too.

Hello, this may sound silly, but after some absolute panic attacks walking along narrow Bermudian curving main roads hemmed in by rock walls with lorries rumbling behind or towards me... :eek::o:eek:

Is there room between you and the traffic when walking from the #7 bus stop to the Bermudian Underwater Exploration Institute?

If not, I'll head straight into town and take a cab! Real life is stressful enough without having it on vacation, too.

I think you're stressing too much and you will only encounter those kind of situations in places other than Hamilton. I'm not sure where the bus stop is in relation to the BUEI but you can probably be left off close by and there are sidewalks in Hamilton. We walked from downtown Hamilton to the BUEI on sidewalks all the way. We have also walked around quite a bit of Hamilton, and once again, on sidewalks.

BTW, we took an evening excursion with BUEI to see glow worms. They are only out for a few days when there is a full moon. It was a great excursion that I highly recommend IF you are there during a full moon phase. Most places where you can see them are getting quite crowded but the BUEI had a "secret" private place and we were the only boat there.:)

Unfortunately not near a full moon. But now that I know about the glow worms, it may influence my choice of dates for next year!

I made the mistake of taking the bus to go see Somerset Bridge. We literally had to press our bodies back against the stone wall to let the bus pass us! I'm the sort of person who can't cross the street half-way waiting for traffic, so the walk from and to the bus pole was really quite hairy! But after you've disembarked...what can you do! :D I just didn't want to get into a position like that again.

We only did the centre of Hamilton last year and I didn't see the BUEI, so I'm greatly relieved to know the sidewalks go all the way! Thanks!

Unfortunately not near a full moon. But now that I know about the glow worms, it may influence my choice of dates for next year!

I made the mistake of taking the bus to go see Somerset Bridge. We literally had to press our bodies back against the stone wall to let the bus pass us! I'm the sort of person who can't cross the street half-way waiting for traffic, so the walk from and to the bus pole was really quite hairy! But after you've disembarked...what can you do! :D I just didn't want to get into a position like that again.

We only did the centre of Hamilton last year and I didn't see the BUEI, so I'm greatly relieved to know the sidewalks go all the way! Thanks!

Yes, sometimes it seems like the buses are even going to rip the buttons off your shirt while you're pressed against the wall.:D

We walked the mile or so from downtown last year thinking it was just around the corner - it was hot getting there, but worth the trip! As I recall, the side walk was at least four feet wide all the way. :)

Hi Milaandra,

Relax, willya?

This is Bermuda, so stop stressing!

There is a Bus Stop just before the Institute, just past the roundabout at the end of the harbour, where Johnny Barnes waves at you. It's a three minute walk (on a wide sidewalk).

When you board the bus, say "Good Morning" to the driver and ask them to put you off at the Institute. You'll get put off at the right stop, or, if they're feeling in a good mood, at the door.

Have Fun!

Thank you!

I blame my mum...she was pretty firm about "don't play in traffic!" :D Right into my early forties she used to try to take my hand when we were crossing the road together! ROFL!

where Johnny Barnes waves at you.

Who or what is Johnny Barnes?

I love your piece of the world, by the way. Not just for its amazing beauty but for its people.

Thank you!

I blame my mum...she was pretty firm about "don't play in traffic!" :D Right into my early forties she used to try to take my hand when we were crossing the road together! ROFL!

Who or what is Johnny Barnes?

I love your piece of the world, by the way. Not just for its amazing beauty but for its people.

http://www.bermuda4u.com/Essential/bermuda_johnny_barnes.html

We've never been at the traffic circle at the right time to see him so have only seen his statue.

Aaah, well!

Johnny is a retired bus driver who got bored out of his mind in retirement and missed seeing all the people he drove. So he started standing on the roundabout in the mornings and waving to all the drivers as they passed.

He's being doing it for years and is still going strong.

He's a really nice guy, and a classic old-style Bermudian.

He's usually there between 7:30 and 9:30am depending on the weather.

Have Fun!

Oh, I forgot...

I've been a writer/performer in a show called Not The Um Um Show (local comedy) for 25 years. Back in 1986 I wrote a song for Johhny (to the tune of Edelweis from the Sound of Music)...

Hey John Barnes, hey John Barnes, every morning you greet me.

Rain or shine, six til nine, you start my day off uniquely

Always the same at the Foot of the Lane,

Your smile is bound to please me.

Hey John Barnes, hey John Barnes.

You make rush hour easy!

Archived