Machu Picchu

clem&donna

We are thinking of taking the Cuzco& Machu Picchu tour with HAL. Is the Mediallion Collection Deluxe worth the extra amount. Do we miss anything worth while being off ship for 4 days? I don't think we will be back to get a chance to see this unique experence again. If anyone has been there would you recommend taking this tour?

Thank you Donna

We are thinking of taking the Cuzco& Machu Picchu tour with HAL. Is the Mediallion Collection Deluxe worth the extra amount. Do we miss anything worth while being off ship for 4 days? I don't think we will be back to get a chance to see this unique experence again. If anyone has been there would you recommend taking this tour?

Thank you Donna

Machu Picchu should not be missed. It is one of the most incredible places I have ever been. There is nothing at all to be missed on the ship. Don't go all that way and miss the chance. We did this as a pre-tour with Hal and it was worth every cent.

I agree with Cally. If you are in the area and have the time, go and see Machu Picchu. It one of the wonders of this world. We are going there after our cruise finishes in Valpariso next January. We have already booked for our 3 nights in Cusco and our one night at Sancturary Lodge in Machu Picchu.

Jennie

Machu Picchu and Cusco are not to be missed if you are in the area and can afford the trip. Machu Picchu is a very unique experience.

We have taken about 6 Medallion tours from HAL, primarily in Asia. Five were absolutely outstanding and worth every cent (as shore excursions go). The sixth one was wonderful and received high grades, but not as top notch (read that facinating) as the other five in our opinions. Still glad we took it though. (Then too, opinions vary on sightseeing almost as much as they do cruise food.)

Like everyone says Machu Pichu is not to be missed. Would advise doing it as a pre or post cruise experience. The altitude is not to be taken lightly. You need time to adjust so give yourself at least a day in Cuzco before venturing up the hill. You will enjoy the experience.

The altitude is not to be taken lightly. You need time to adjust so give yourself at least a day in Cuzco before venturing up the hill.

Actually, it is Cuzco (also spelled Cusco) for which altitude sickness is more of a risk. The elevation there is 11,400 feet. The train to Machu Picchu goes down the hill to about 8,500 feet.

--Jim--

• 2 weeks later...

Just before we left for our recent trip to Machu Picchu we were given a tip by a friend who has traveled to Peru several times. There is a prescription medication called Diamox (generic acetazolamide) that is taken specifically to prevent altitude sickness. We were able to get a prescription from our physician by phone just before we left. You take the pills for 2 days before getting to the high altiutude area and then continue to take them while you are there. We never had any problems while others on our trip did. The other piece of advice we were given was to drink coca tea as soon as we arrived and to rest for about an hour in Cusco before going out to explore.

Those who did suffer from altitude sickness complained of headaches and not being able to sleep.

Lynn

Thanks so much for the input but I guess we won't be able to go. This is in the middle of a 33 day cruise from Rio to San Diego and we will not have time to get used to the altitude. Husbands doctor said we should pass on this with his lung problems. Maybe one of these days we might get back.

Thanks Donna

As I can recall from my visits there, once you get to MP, all of the walking is on rough dirt paths (with some small embeded rocks) and/or paths of uneven stone. One does have to keep ones eyes on the path, and therefore must stop to look at the spectacular views. In terms of stairs, there are numerous sets of stairs (4 - 20+), but how many of these you take depends on how much you want to see and do. You can get a spectacular overview of the site by just walking on a relatively level path less than a quarter of a mile. However, the more you can walk and climb, the more spectacular the experience.

Visiting MP would have to rank in the top five places I have visited. (The others are walking/hiking in South Georgia and Antarctica, camping on the Sinai Desert in 1984, staying in the jungles of Borneo and cruising the tributaries of the Amazon (in Peru) in a 29 passenger riverboat.)

On our last visit to MP, my husband was more ambitious and he hiked up higher than I wanted to go. I just wandered around the main sections of MP, taking photographs and just sitting and contemplating the beauty and wonder of it all.

I agree with Wander. You can do as much or as little walking and climbing as you wish and still feel that you have had an incredible adventure. Because the steps have been carved into the hillside out of rock, they are not of consistent height. Taking big vertical steps upward in some places was what we found most challenging. However, we were never rushed so could go at our own pace.

Lynn

Archived