Atlantis dolphin cay deep water swim

vrs

My dad and I just did the deep water dolphin swim Feb 28th at Atlantis in Nassau. It was awesome!

You spend about 5-10 minutes moving along most of the perimeter of the "pool" with the dolphins swimming right next to and around you. You get a "foot push" from 1 or 2 of the dolphins which is quite a rush! The dolphin that pushed me got me going so fast I though I was going to crash into the wall on the other side. Then you get to interact with the dolphin for about 5-10 minutes while giving the dolphin a hug and a kiss.

The only bad thing is that cameras aren't allowed while the interaction is going on. They have their own photographers and sell the pictures they take. They only sell them in packages which can get pretty pricey but for a once in a lifetime experience we felt it was worth it.

This has been our only dolphin experience so we really enjoyed it and felt it was worth it but we can't compare it to any other dolphin swims.

How much was the package prices? and what was all included in it?

im stuck between this one and the blue lagoon dolphin excursion...

it sounds amazing though... and i agree for a once in a life time opportunity i would by the photos

We chose the 2nd cheapest photo package. It was about $140 for 2-4x6 photos, 2-5x7 photos, 1-8x11 photo, 1-5x7 size frame, 1-2x3(?) frame and a CD that had every single photo they took of us. I can't remember all of the other package prices. I've heard the Blue Lagoon excursion is neat too, however, can't speak from personal experience. But we really did enjoy the Atlantis swim.

Well is their any other place to do the dolphin?

i heard that the blue lagoon does them also... they both look great! im not sure which one i want to do right now!

so any other input would be great!

I chose Blue Lagoon when we went last May. Blue Lagoon gets much better reviews on Cruise Critic.

What made the decision for me was it was a little cheaper than Atlantis, you can use the beach for free before/after the swim AND you can bring your own camera into the water with you (water proof of course).

We still ended up getting a small photo package because their pictures of us were so good, but it was nice having the camera in hand to get more candid shots.

• 3 months later...
I chose Blue Lagoon when we went last May. Blue Lagoon gets much better reviews on Cruise Critic.

What made the decision for me was it was a little cheaper than Atlantis, you can use the beach for free before/after the swim AND you can bring your own camera into the water with you (water proof of course).

We still ended up getting a small photo package because their pictures of us were so good, but it was nice having the camera in hand to get more candid shots.

Thank for the information.

I use to think swimming with the dolphins would be fun too but, if you saw "The Cove" you would never want to take part of the exploitation of these beautiful animals. They are being slaughtered very cruely and because of the demand for these dolphin experiences and entertainment venues this problem continues. It's really atrocious.

I use to think swimming with the dolphins would be fun too but, if you saw "The Cove" you would never want to take part of the exploitation of these beautiful animals. They are being slaughtered very cruely and because of the demand for these dolphin experiences and entertainment venues this problem continues. It's really atrocious.

The movie has nothing to do with these animals. Read their backgrounds on the website.

The movie has nothing to do with these animals. Read their backgrounds on the website.

I think you missed the whole point of the movie. Doesn't matter where the dolphins came from, they should not be held captive in an entertainment venue for people. Our participation in these types of "entertainment" only perpetuates the problem.

I think you missed the whole point of the movie. Doesn't matter where the dolphins came from, they should not be held captive in an entertainment venue for people. Our participation in these types of "entertainment" only perpetuates the problem.

How is rescuing THESE dolphins an issue? They would not have survived. I agree there are some cruelties out there.. but don't come here and blanket these folks with propaganda that just does not apply.

Find an outfit that fits the bill and take your plight there. You're making a blanket statement that is just not true.

How is rescuing THESE dolphins an issue? They would not have survived. I agree there are some cruelties out there.. but don't come here and blanket these folks with propaganda that just does not apply.

Find an outfit that fits the bill and take your plight there. You're making a blanket statement that is just not true.

Yes, they were rescued from a Marine oceanarium in another state, not the open ocean. So they went from one venue to another. They were not "rescued" and released back to the ocean. They were "rescued" and placed in another entertainment venue. These boards are to provide information and that is exactly what I am doing. You're entitled to your opinion, but many people are not aware that it is really NOT the right way to treat these animals. Since these excursions do include these dolphin experiences, these boards are exactly the place to ask people to think a little more about being an active participant in perpetuating a problem.

Yes, they were rescued from a Marine oceanarium in another state, not the open ocean. So they went from one venue to another. They were not "rescued" and released back to the ocean. They were "rescued" and placed in another entertainment venue. These boards are to provide information and that is exactly what I am doing. You're entitled to your opinion, but many people are not aware that it is really NOT the right way to treat these animals. Since these excursions do include these dolphin experiences, these boards are exactly the place to ask people to think a little more about being an active participant in perpetuating a problem.

The Cove depicts a single group who practice this atrocity.

It does not cover the majority of marine biologist, researchers and environmentalist who do NOT use these practices to obtain their dolphins or to maintain their environment.

Again.. you are blanketing the industry with the crimes on a few.

The Cove depicts a single group who practice this atrocity.

It does not cover the majority of marine biologist, researchers and environmentalist who do NOT use these practices to obtain their dolphins or to maintain their environment.

Again.. you are blanketing the industry with the crimes on a few.

You are still not getting it. The excursions/ dolphin encounters do not in any way, shape or form benefit the dolphins. They stress the dolphins on a daily basis and people who partake in these experiences are not aware of this. I am not talking about scientists or marine biologists who study dolphins in their natural environment. Big difference!

You are still not getting it. The excursions/ dolphin encounters do not in any way, shape or form benefit the dolphins. They stress the dolphins on a daily basis and people who partake in these experiences are not aware of this. I am not talking about scientists or marine biologists who study dolphins in their natural environment. Big difference!

OK, you've said your peace, now let everyone make up their own minds. Each time I read a thread about dolphin excursions a post such as yours eventually comes along. I usually skip over it, but find this a bit insulting to most to have to push your opinions down our throats. We are all here to determine the best way to spend our leisure time, not to fight over politics. There are plenty of other places on the web for that.

Well, thank goodness there are some people with a conscience.

Let's ban horseback riding, race horses, polo, the burros at the grand canyon, oxen and sheep dogs used for farming, police dogs, seeing eye dogs, camels used for transportation and every other animal that doesn't get anything out of thier performance.

• 10 months later...

Just booked this excursion for two on the Allure. Looking forward to it!

Questions:

Its called deep water- Does that mean you can really snorkel/freedive around in deep water with the dolphins? How long do they let you do that for? (I read gopher_grad it was 5-10 minutes on the side, and 5-10 minutes swimming- so that the total?)

I read through many the pros and cons of animalcruelty/dolphins in captivity here and on web/facebook . i definitely agree they should ban slaughtering and harmfull methods of keeping them captive-

BUT it seems like Atlantis gives the dolphins one of the best qualities of life possible though, based on the sheer size of the facility, having them in full sized social groups etc, having the financial success to keep qualified people on staff...

Archived