Beach in Puerto Rico nearby Old San Juan

Jazzman15

We will be there in late May/early June and remember hearing about a Ferry by the port where the boat is docked that would take us to a beach, or at least another part of the Island. Does anyone have any information about that? If we take the ferry, is there something else we can do other than beach? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

There is a local ferry that crosses the bay and take you to another town called Catano. However, I don't recall nice beaches in that area, The nearest beaches are in the "Condado" area, about 10-mintes from Old San Juan. Many hotels around there.

There is plenty to do in Old San Juan if you never been to this area, all within walking distance.

We will be there in late May/early June and remember hearing about a Ferry by the port where the boat is docked that would take us to a beach, or at least another part of the Island. Does anyone have any information about that? If we take the ferry, is there something else we can do other than beach? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

the ferry goes to a town called cataño where the bacadi rum factory is located, it is across the bay from the historic district. in that area there are no beaches, it is a bay and industrial town.

the main port is located in the historic district of san juan, if you like history then you will love it. the beaches are located in another part of the capital city.

The closest beach will be in Condado. There is a little cove beach right in front of the Conrad Condado Plaza, which has public access. It is calmer, with no waves.

2550189170104390106S500x500Q85.jpg

A little further up from there are the ocean beaches in Condado, which were very rough when we were there in January:

2244810390104390106S500x500Q85.jpg2520681760104390106S500x500Q85.jpg

The nicest beaches within easy driving distance are at Isla Verde, which is a 15 to 20 minute cab ride [about 19 dollars each way]

2250317140104390106S500x500Q85.jpg

I vote for visiting Isla Verde beach. We have been to both Condado and Isla Verde and Isla Verde is definately a much nicer beach in my opinion. The water seemed much rougher at Condado. We took that ferry to Catano and would never do that again.

Also looking for a nice beach with facilities in Puerto Rico in July. Does Isla Verde Beach have facilities? How far is it from the port?

Isla Verde is very near the airport and about a 15-20 minute ride from Old San Juan. The beach area is pretty large and there are shopping centers nearby. There were no facilities at the location where our taxi driver dropped us off, but we could rent beach chairs there. We walked to close by restaurants for food and restroom use. I'm not sure if there are other areas of the beach with facilities.

• 1 year later...

A little further up from there are the ocean beaches in Condado, which were very rough when we were there in January:

2520681760104390106S500x500Q85.jpg

Is this Condado also? I have either heard this beach is very rough or no waves at all. I am very confused. If you go farther down a certian way does the water get like this? ie, next to the cove? Would you consider this to be good body surfing area? Thanks so much CC.:o

Archived