Mediterranean shore excursions

Hello Cruisers,

My wife and I booked a 13day Mediterranean cruise on Oct. 11, 2010. I saw some good reviews of private (non cruise ship) shore excursions on Cruise Critic, but they did not mention which company they booked through. Mainly we would like to know which company is reputable to do s shore excursion in Alexandria, where we will be docked for 2 days, and if you knew a good shore excursion for Rome, it would also be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

mark and mary lou

For Rome we used Rome in Limo and they where fantastic. Best tour I have ever been on. We had 6 couples in the air conditioned van. They met us at the port (they had about 5 vans there at the time) and as we drove in to Rime our driver spoke about the things we would do. He helped us get tickets for major attractions without having to line up with every one else (eg he took us to Palentine Hill to get tickets for the Colosseum where there was a huge line for tickets). He had brilliant information and was very helpful. Rome in Limo also arranged a private guide for the Vatican and I highly recommend that. It was brilliant as the guide was able to give us information and insights in to what we were looking at - making our time there very efficient. It was a great day...

For Alexandria/Cairo, 2 days we were in a group that had a private tour by Moustafa Mourad mustafamouradus2@yahoo.com.uk. We had 30 people in an air conditioned bus with bathroom, driver, guard and two guides, who divided the group into two parts and each led smaller groups. All very well organized. We chose the option of returning to the ship (rather than spending the night in Cairo) and then doing the Alexandria portion on day two. If I had it to do over again, I think I would have chosed to stay in Cairo and have more time, and to see the Pyramids lit up at night.

We used Champion Tours in Egypt - spent overnight in Cairo and then did Alexandria on our return the next day. They were excellent. Did an River Nile evening cruise, trip to pyramids, etc.

In Rome, we used Aldo of yourtourinitaly and that was excellent also.

Archived