Passport returned w/o documentation

MariaNC

We are big believers in all members of our family having passports. In preperation for an upcoming cruise we renewed my daughters and husbands. Hers was expired and his would expire around the time of our trip. We went to the Post Office and submitted in person. We had our daughters birth certificate with us b/c we thought she needed it. The post man didn't take it but then at the last minute said why don't we send it to be safe. My daughters passport arrived very promptly but did not include the birth certificate or cancelled passport. I called and they stated they are now sent seperately for security reasons. My husband received his shortly thereafter and then received a second mailing with his cancelled passport. My daughter has not receive her cancelled passport or her birth certificate. It has been about a month. I will call again Monday but has anyone experiencd this. I'm getting really concerned.

The birth certificates and cancelled passports are almost always mailed separately and you should have received them back in about a week to ten days. I would call. Also, it isn't that hard to get new birth certificiates. I know there is usually a cost involved which is not what you want seeing it isn't your fault you didn't get yours back, but to be on the safe side and always know I have our B/C's, I would lay out the additional money and get new birth certificate. I know it would be annoying to do that and then have your original ones appear.

The passport lost all of my daughter's identification. We too had gone to the post office and they mailed in all of the documents with her application. We got in everybody else's except for hers. I had to replace the ID, then send it in again. This time I sent it certified mail so I would have proof they had received it in case anything else was lost. It got to be the month before our cruise before we received the passport and ID back. In the meantime, she was flying to her grandmothers house in FL for spring break alone. I was pulling out old school IDs so she'd have something with her. I was on the phone with the passport office daily trying to get this straightened out. Since we live near DC, I had asked about going down to the office for her passport but you can only do that if you're within a few days of travel.

Archived