Regular Coffee-available on the islands?

keeponcruisin1

I am traveling to several of the Greek Islands in June and am trying to find out if the regular USA kind of coffee is available? I don't think the strong Greek coffee is for me, yet I can't start my day off right without a cup. Does anyone have any info about this? Especially Santorini and Mykonos.

Why not just buy some coffee on the ship? A number of ships have an area for special coffees (and American style) that are far better than in the ships buffet area. On an Equinox cruise they had great Lavazza coffee available for purchase.

I have friends in Greece, that used to live here in the States. When we went to visit, he ordered Nesc (it is instant like Nescafe) for me, because I didn't want the Greek coffee either. I don't usually like instant coffee, but it beat the alternative.

I have friends in Greece, that used to live here in the States. When we went to visit, he ordered Nesc (it is instant like Nescafe) for me, because I didn't want the Greek coffee either. I don't usually like instant coffee, but it beat the alternative.

You're right--its Greek Nescafe--Nestle (Nescafe) took over a Greek coffee company some years ago, and kept the (instant) formula the same, but call it Nescafe. The Greeks drink it hot, cold ('Nescafe frappe'), black, or with cream or milk, sugar (or not)--it's great! It's a very robust, somewhat strong (but not too strong) coffee--full of flavour (for an instant coffee, that is). I bought a jar when in Athens a couple of years ago, and now get my supply (the big tins--its got to be "Greek Nescafe") from a bakery here in Toronto's Greek town--it's not cheap, but it's worth it!

Kevin

I am traveling to several of the Greek Islands in June and am trying to find out if the regular USA kind of coffee is available? I don't think the strong Greek coffee is for me, yet I can't start my day off right without a cup. Does anyone have any info about this? Especially Santorini and Mykonos.

Ask for a Nescafe, as others have said.

On the islands you'll probably get a long, thin, sachet of instant coffee served with a jug of hot water and another of hot milk. That will allow you to make your coffee as strong or as weak and as milky as you wish.

Mands

The closest to American coffee that you can find in Greece, is what they call "filtered" or "French". Nescafe is much stronger -quite an eye-opener in the morning- and you can have it either warm or cold (frappe') and it's DELICIOUS!

ny4cruise is absolutely correct.Its called filtered ,or french but many times its also called American coffee (Americanicos Cafes ) the emphasis on the "ca" and "es" respectively, when saying it in Greek.Most coffee places and restaurants on the islands,have ,Nescafe,French,and Greek coffee.Even the weaker versions of French will be stronger than your average US store brand.The latest craze of coffee there, is called Fredo.By the way I believe that Nescafe was always a nestle product.

To get the Greek summer experience try a Frappe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frapp%C3%A9_coffee

ny4cruise is absolutely correct.Its called filtered ,or french but many times its also called American coffee (Americanicos Cafes ) the emphasis on the "ca" and "es" respectively, when saying it in Greek.Most coffee places and restaurants on the islands,have ,Nescafe,French,and Greek coffee.Even the weaker versions of French will be stronger than your average US store brand.The latest craze of coffee there, is called Fredo.By the way I believe that Nescafe was always a nestle product.

Very interesting and it sounds great. I hope to try it. Can you help me a bit with the pronunciation of the sweetness variations? I'm not sure I understand the pronunciation symbols used in the article and I'd like to at least try to say it correctly. Thank you!

Very interesting and it sounds great. I hope to try it. Can you help me a bit with the pronunciation of the sweetness variations? I'm not sure I understand the pronunciation symbols used in the article and I'd like to at least try to say it correctly. Thank you!

This help at all?

http://www.oddcast.com/home/demos/tts/tts_example.php?sitepal

Mands

Just sounds mumbled here on my work computer, but I'll try at home. Thanks.

Pity, works fine on the machines I've tried it on albeit with semi-fast speech. Switching the speaker/narrator might help as each speaking voice is different.

Don't suppose you can complain to work IT/systems folks though ;-)

Hope you find a solution,

Mands

Thank you, Manu....certainly, we've always been offered Americanicos cafes in each hotel or taverna we've visited in Greece or the Islands...some just call it "American"....the hotel we stay at in Santorini always ends the meal by asking:"And 4 Americans, yes?"

Jo.

Archived