Second Cruise Out of Seward/Help Plan Six Days in Alaska

Zoolander

We are planning on booking our second cruise when the itineraries come out for 2011. We cruised with Regent last year, and are looking at Celebrity this year. We cruised on the first cruise out of Seward that Regent had, I believe it was just after mid-May. The trip was unbelievable. Rained very little, predominately in Ketchican.

Okay... here is where I would appreciate some help.;)

We want to either do the earliest cruise out of Seward or the latest cruise out of Seward for the season. I think that is either May or September.

We will have around six days before our cruise, plus the one day that we want to spend in Seward (I love that place). We will take the early morning train again out of Anchorage (great experience last time).:)

We are in our mid-40 and 50's. We are Vacationers more than Tourists. We don't really spend a ton of time in any one place, we like to see a little of everything, but most importantly, we like to have a great time. NO STRESS. Hence, the early and late cruise times. I also noticed we get a little price break as well.

Anyway...

I was thinking about just hitting Denali, but now I am not so sure.:confused:

What are your thoughts?

What about Whittier? Homer? Talkeetna?

I realize it takes a long time to get around in Alaska, and we don't want to spend a ton of time in the car, but if we could do a couple things instead of spending all of our time at Denali, that might be better.

I have to admit, all of the talk about "tourist buses" at Denali is giving me an odd picture in my mind, and it isn't good. We have cruised a bit, and we normally go solo, or hire a taxi for the day. We have had great results with that. Not a HUGE fan of CROWDS!:eek:

So, any suggestions on what might be the plan of attack if we cruise in May? What would be different if we cruise in September?

For the Alaska Traveling Expert: please advise.;)

I have no clue what the "no stress" reference has to do with the first or last cruise of the season?? But for part of your listing, including Denali park, it is a poor choice.

You are NOT going to get into Denali Park with the mid May southbound cruise. So either you are going to have to decide to skip it or look at other cruises, meaning a northbound with getting into Denali Park end of May or ideally June 1 or later. Yes it involves a bus, of at least multiple hours. ONLY way in. The time flys by, BUT if this is not for you, then don't even consider going there, it is a waste of time if you do not access the park. Figure that out first. This would impact your cruise choice. Same with your last Sept Cruise. It is far superior to take a northbound trip first week of Sept, followed by Denali park before the shuttle buses stop running mid Sept. The weather drops off far less interior Alaska compared to inside passage. IF you continue with the last cruise, you need to be accepting of the worse potential for weather for the season, colder, more rain, dusk by 7pm on the Inside Passage.

IF you skip Denali Park, which will require, at least 2 nights there and two transit days, then I would suggest spending your time on the Kenai Peninsula, split between Homer, Seward, and Anchorage. That will take up 6 days. This involves the least driving you are going to get. :)

Thanks Budget Queen.:) I really appreciate your advice.

I think we may look into Denali on a trip that we don't have a cruise following it up.:o

My point about the stress was that traveling early means less people, less kids, less crowds, less cattle mentality, etc.;) Just us. But, it is something we look for whenever we travel. We normally travel during shoulder seasons. The prices are less as well, which is nice. Win/Win for us.;)

So, you like Homer? Not so much Whittier?

We already spent a little time in Anchorage, so I will do some research on Homer in late May. If we have a car, I am sure we can find TONS to do in Seward as well.

I can see the disadvantage of going to Homer later in the season because of the sunlight, which I really liked the extended hours of sun, are there any advantages of spending time in Seward/Homer/Whittier in late August/early September?

Any suggestions on Homer for three day in late May/early June?

Thanks again.:D

I'm busy planning our 2011 Alaska cruise too. You might look at this website for ideas. Check out the summer tours and the packages. http://www.salmonberrytours.com Even if you don't use them, there's lots of sight seeing ideas on their site.

We are planning to book them for a private transport from the ship to Anchorage seeing some sights on the way.

Happy planning!!

Thanks Budget Queen.:) I really appreciate your advice.

I think we may look into Denali on a trip that we don't have a cruise following it up.:o

My point about the stress was that traveling early means less people, less kids, less crowds, less cattle mentality, etc.;) Just us. But, it is something we look for whenever we travel. We normally travel during shoulder seasons. The prices are less as well, which is nice. Win/Win for us.;)

So, you like Homer? Not so much Whittier?

We already spent a little time in Anchorage, so I will do some research on Homer in late May. If we have a car, I am sure we can find TONS to do in Seward as well.

I can see the disadvantage of going to Homer later in the season because of the sunlight, which I really liked the extended hours of sun, are there any advantages of spending time in Seward/Homer/Whittier in late August/early September?

Any suggestions on Homer for three day in late May/early June?

Thanks again.:D

Sorry, but ALL the ships are sailing mid May and just about all of them through the third week of Sept. so your "less" crowded point really is not reality. There are few kids anyway sailing Alaska, a small fraction of the numbers comparing the Caribbean- all season. You have some mis ideas perhaps. In my opinion, the cost differences of the Sept trips is minimal compared to them, year ago, when they used to be giving these trips away, when I used to pick them up. There is no "cattle" mentality in Alaska, unless you are a poor planner. It is simple and plentiful to avoid this completely.

If you are looking at late August/Sept. this is an IDEAL time for Denali Park. You have dusk around 9pm, so still plenty of daylight interior Alaska. It isn't I don't care for Whittier, I certainly do very much like the boat tours. But it is definately a better day trip area.

Fishing is superb in Homer, bear watching with fly ins- but do verify "seasons". Various boat tours, hiking, kayaking. Can really extend and enjoy the Sterling Highway drive. Consider plenty of stops and side areas. http://www.kenaipeninsula.com

Archived