MSC Muster Drill

Garyorient

If you are looking for short and easy, you will love it. Our cruise was in February and I gather MSC is still tweaking things, but this was our experience: We were assigned to gather in the Zebra Lounge. There was no system to check attendance. There were young crew members stationed around the room. There was a recording that gave muster stations, and then instructions for life jackets in 5 languages, while the crew demonstrated. People were talking and no one paid attention. No one corrected those who put their life jackets on wrong. We could never hear our muster station. There were people leaving while others were just arriving. There was no other info. When we returned to our cabin, we checked the back of our door to find out our muster station and said, we could have saved ourselves a trip and just done that in the first place.

Mmmmmm!!!!

Chaos a la MSC.

Shoud be amusing and clearly won't over impact on drinking, jacuzzi, spa or eating time too much.

Thank you for the info.

Yep - organisation is not one of their strong points!

Assuming they even have one on such a short trip, they won't notice if you aren't at it

AmoMondo,

When is your flight - has it been impacted because of the volcanic ash?

Monday 19th late evening - so hopefully it will all have blown over by then. Fingers crossed for a strong wind blowing from west to east! Up until now I was having a mild stress over BA strike action, never thought I'd need to worry about volcanic activity in Iceland!

Hi AmoMondo,

I hope your flight will go as scheduled. Or if not, that they will "hold" the ship for you--there must be many other Europeans booked, so they shouldn't mind at all to do this :)

Monday 19th late evening - so hopefully it will all have blown over by then. Fingers crossed for a strong wind blowing from west to east! Up until now I was having a mild stress over BA strike action, never thought I'd need to worry about volcanic activity in Iceland!

Hi AmoMondo,

I hope your flight will go as scheduled. Or if not, that they will "hold" the ship for you--there must be many other Europeans booked, so they shouldn't mind at all to do this :)

Thanks Satincruz, I hope it doesn't come to that. There are only 8 other people on my flight from heathrow so i rather suspect if it is likely to be more than 9 hours late, we will be chasing the ship up the coast of Brazil!

Thanks Satincruz, I hope it doesn't come to that. There are only 8 other people on my flight from heathrow so i rather suspect if it is likely to be more than 9 hours late, we will be chasing the ship up the coast of Brazil!

Also, keeping my fingers crossed for you, AmoMondo. Might pay to start copying Copa flight schedules. Good Luck.

Hi AmoMondo,

I didn't realize you had those several extra days along coastal Brazil, but they will come in helpful in case of a flight delay. One good thing about MSC is that they seem to wait for everyone (even when people don't have a volcano as an excuse!) Though if the ship does leave anyone behind, they may at least organize the bus rides to "catch up". I think you'll make it in time, though :)

And what a very nice cruise--Vigo and Funchal, too! Have a great time :D

Thanks buggins and satincruz.

I have to say my optimism is starting to wane about getting the full cruise. About to start looking at what flights go to Recife!

Can't say I've got much enthusiasm about starting the packing today either but if I don't and the volcano calms down it is going to be a last minute panic! Still hoping for the best but emotionally prepared for not going anywhere anytime soon.

Thanks buggins and satincruz.

I have to say my optimism is starting to wane about getting the full cruise. About to start looking at what flights go to Recife!

Can't say I've got much enthusiasm about starting the packing today either but if I don't and the volcano calms down it is going to be a last minute panic! Still hoping for the best but emotionally prepared for not going anywhere anytime soon.

AmoMondo,

Wow, things don't look good. Scottish space might clear before the rest of Europe though. Is your flight through London? If things really start looking hopeless on flying across the Atlantic, perhaps another way to make lemonade out of lemons might be to look at alternative MSC cruises in Europe that you could take a train to embarkation point. Perhaps they'll let you substitute.

I'm such a worry wart. We have a short trip to Moscow in late May and upon reading what this particular volcano did 200 years ago (spewed ash off and on for a year) it has me wondering if we should be prepared to cancel. I would love to see Moscow - but wouldn't want to get stuck in that overpriced city for a length of time with a visa that has run out.

Hmnn--I hope that you guys won't worry too much!

Buggins 0402--probably the airlines will have figured out feasible flight path route changes by late May, if only so that they won't keep losing fares ...

And as for the current cruise--AmoMondo, have you tried yet to call or email MSC? It could be they already have some plans in the works, and if you can find this out, it will keep you from worrying so much :)

It may all come together in an unexpected way, but I really do think everything will work out well ...

hi satincruz & buggins

It is begiining to look less likely with each passing hour that I will be on my original schedule. However MSC have now posted a notice on ther UK website saying that fly/cruise passengers who have outward flights cancelled will be offered an alternative cruise or a full refund if no alternative can be found.

My only real risk is that they didn't provide my connecting flight from Edinburgh to London, do if that gets cancelled at the last minute but the London-sao paolo still goes, I'm goingg to be in the same boat (or rather not on any boat) as the cruise only passengers who suffer full cancellation charges and have to claim off their insurance. As long as I get enough notice, I could get the train down if it is only Scottish airspace affected .

The Opera is going to be doing the very same itinerary as the Orchestr but doesn't leave until 3 May. had really wanted to try out a Musica Class ship but still rather go a few weeks later than not at all (assuming my boss will agree to the switch in my dates). Trouble is there is just no way of knowing how long this is going to last. It is just a waiting game now

Glad to hear that you have some pretty good options, just in case :)

Though I really still have a feeling you'll make it. If Heathrow lets ANY planes at all go on Monday, yours should be one of the first. Not that cruise pax are a priority for them, but just that the ash cloud will still be affecting almost everywhere to the east and south of you, so they can't do (m)any intra-EU flights nor any to Asia, and that really leaves only the t-a flights. Then, the UK--Brazil flight is one of the very few t-a's that doesn't truly need to first fly up near the Arctic Circle/Iceland. Anyway, if I were planning the upcoming flights, I'd logically put yours up first ;)

And if you do make the Orchestra, it should be a bit less-crowded than a regular cruise, so that will be a nice change (and maybe even mean a special upgrade!)

If you are looking for short and easy, you will love it. Our cruise was in February and I gather MSC is still tweaking things, but this was our experience: We were assigned to gather in the Zebra Lounge. There was no system to check attendance. There were young crew members stationed around the room. There was a recording that gave muster stations, and then instructions for life jackets in 5 languages, while the crew demonstrated. People were talking and no one paid attention. No one corrected those who put their life jackets on wrong. We could never hear our muster station. There were people leaving while others were just arriving. There was no other info. When we returned to our cabin, we checked the back of our door to find out our muster station and said, we could have saved ourselves a trip and just done that in the first place.

We assume you understood one of the 5 languages? Good, worked as designed.

Let me get this straight, you looked for your muster station info AFTER you left to go to it, and you call MSC confused?

Yeah, real problems for you alright!

I am no raving MSC fan, but you are really trying to paint them in the worst possible light, but you don't realize it's making you look really bad!

How sad, let it go and get a life:(

We assume you understood one of the 5 languages? Good, worked as designed.

Let me get this straight, you looked for your muster station info AFTER you left to go to it, and you call MSC confused?

Yeah, real problems for you alright!

I am no raving MSC fan, but you are really trying to paint them in the worst possible light, but you don't realize it's making you look really bad!

How sad, let it go and get a life:(

Zambini, Everything Debbie in Florida stated was accurate, the muster drill is done in a very loose kinda way, no attendance is taken, the trainees that demonstrate did not correct proper application of the lifesaver, etc

she was simply answering a previous post as to what to expect, and explained it.....what have you contributed to these posts? we never see a review, we never see advice or suggestions, it seems all you do is comment on other posts negatively.

Thanks, MSC=Family. You are always polite. I was not so confused that I thought my lifeboat was located in the zebra lounge; and since I could not HEAR ANY of the 5 languages for people talking, we checked the safety notice in our cabin. I don't understand the meaness of some in this forum. We are not talking politics here.

Zambini, Everything Debbie in Florida stated was accurate, the muster drill is done in a very loose kinda way, no attendance is taken, the trainees that demonstrate did not correct proper application of the lifesaver, etc

she was simply answering a previous post as to what to expect, and explained it.....what have you contributed to these posts? we never see a review, we never see advice or suggestions, it seems all you do is comment on other posts negatively.

You agree that you look for directions on where to go AFTER you get back?

LOL, Birds of a feather and all that I suppose...It is to laugh!

Granted, MSC is not as "strict" as other lines on muster drill, but it is a DRILL, the passengers need to contribute SOMETHING, don't you think looking at the evacuation instructions on the back of your door is an OBVIOUS passenger responsibility?

How about putting on your life jacket, who will be holding your hand when a real emergency unfolds?

As far as my posts, I don't care what YOU think!

You both need to put your big girls panties on and deal with it!;)

As far as my posts, I don't care what YOU think!

You both need to put your big girls panties on and deal with it!;)

GLAD TO REPORT THE FEELING IS MUTUAL......As for your comments, they sure are indicative of how.........

No need to respond, as I have decided to invest my comments to assist, educate and offer insight to those who appreciate it, they are not directed to posters who just want to disrespect every comment.....cant wait for your reviews!

Archived