West Coast Departure ports for Family Spring Break Cruise

carolinesmom

We just did our first cruise over spring break in the western caribbean. It was great for everyone. Our children are 14, 12, 9, and 6. I'm starting to think about next spring break. We would like to travel to California and I was thinking maybe a cruise would work for this. What are the port options in California and what would be good for children this age. This would be for April 2011. Thanks!

Los Angeles (Long Beach for Carnival, San Pedro for everyone else) - Hollywood, Disneyland, etc. It is a very spread out city. (Disney isn't in LA but close enough)

San Diego - Zoo, Sea World, Legoland nearby, Compact city.

You cannot go wrong with either choice.

Perhaps you would want to do a 3 or 4 day cruise and use the remainder of the days to go to Disneyland, Universal Studios, San Diego Zoo or other children-friendly activities in the area--unless you frequently travel to Orlando, so this really isn't a treat for your family.

The Disney Wonder will be sailing out of Los Angeles in April 2011--perhaps it would be a great choice for a family with kids!

Thanks for the info. We do go to Disney World every 3 years and were there last year, so I don't feel the need to visit Disney Land. Sea World would be fun though, we haven't been there in many years. And I remember the beaches being very nice in San Diego when my husband and I were there many years ago. Which cruise lines sail from San Diego?

Thanks for the info. We do go to Disney World every 3 years and were there last year, so I don't feel the need to visit Disney Land. Sea World would be fun though, we haven't been there in many years. And I remember the beaches being very nice in San Diego when my husband and I were there many years ago. Which cruise lines sail from San Diego?

The website I use to look up cruises have listed for April 2011, 5 day cruise from Carnival and 7 day cruise from Holland America.

I would recommend the San Diego Zoo over SeaWorld. It is rated as one of the best zoos in the World.

Thanks for the info on the 4/11 cruises.

We live about 1/2 hour from the Bronz Zoo, which is a fabulous zoo, and visit once or twice a year. So for us I think Sea World would be a better pick, since we have nothing like that close to us. We were at the one in Orlando 7 years ago, before my 4'th child was born. We enjoyed it and obviously the older kids don't remember much from that long ago.

We just did our first cruise over spring break in the western caribbean. It was great for everyone. Our children are 14, 12, 9, and 6. I'm starting to think about next spring break. We would like to travel to California and I was thinking maybe a cruise would work for this. What are the port options in California and what would be good for children this age. This would be for April 2011. Thanks!

I will make it very simple:

Book the Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas out of Los Angeles (San Pedro).

This is simply the nicest ship to sail out of the West Coast ever. And it is a dream ship for the kids. Rock climbing, Ice Skating, In-line skating, full basketball court, "Adventure Beach", "Johnny Rocket's"...

7 nights, sunday to sunday, Cabo, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta...

Great cruise...

We've done the route with kids and without...on 7 different ships on three cruise lines...

This one wins hands down...

Archived