new to Regent - should we book?

fastfilly

Hello everyone,

My husband and I are considering booking the March 12/2011 Caribbean voyage on the Navigator. Our travel agent has an option held for us on suite 943 (F cat), which expires tomorrow.

We have not sailed with Regent before, but have been on HAL (in a deluxe verandah suite), Celebrity (Sky Suite) and Oceania (PH suite). We've wanted to try Regent but the timing and/or cost has not worked out for us, until now.

My concern is that we will be travelling during a high school break period, due to the fact that my husband is a teacher and that is the only time we can travel to escape our Toronto winters (well, except for Christmas, when we prefer to stay at home). We would be paying more for this cruise, on a per diem basis with everything factored in, than we have for any of our other cruises (not massively more, but not an insignificant amount either), and while I am fairly certain from what I have read here and from what our TA says, that we would really enjoy Regent, I wonder whether the experience on this sailing will be different due to the time period we are travelling? I know, of course, that there will be more children sailing, but in the experience of those who may have sailed on Regent during similar time periods, does it interefere with your ability to enjoy the pool, a quiet restaurant meal etc?

I don't want this to sound as though we are anti-children - far from it, as my husband loves his job teaching the little ones! (grade 3).

Thanks for any feedback.

My recommendation would be to go for it. It is very likely there will be more kids on board because it is vacation time. But kids on board usually work out quite well. Regent assigns staff to host kids' activities and they blend in seamlessly. Your whole family will enjoy the Regent experience. I think you'll find the extra cost you pay to cruise Regent money exceptionally well spent. The only downside: you just might be hooked. Pat

Yes, there will be more kids on board most likely. But still way less proportionally than what you would fine on one of the less expensive lines.

If this is the only time you can cruise in winter, go for it. I suspect you will have a great time. And your husband is used to kids, so he is not going to be appalled by normal kid behaviour. While there are exceptions, of course, most kids I have encountered on Regent have been quite well behaved.

Is there any cause for concern regarding Navigator's infamous vibration back there in 943?

Uh oh. Well, we haven't booked yet, so there is still time for us to select another stateroom if we have to.

Thank goodness for this forum. You learn so much!

We sailed on the Navigator this past March 8th and our fifteen year old was one of three teenagers on board. The cruise on the 19th, however, had I believe far more children. I suspect that the number of children is influenced more by when American schools have their March break than when Canadian ones have theirs (we are Canadian).

Archived