Freedom Trail/Aquarium

7nucruzers

The Freedom Trail is free - it's just a route through Boston streets that takes you by sites of historical interest. You can walk anywhere from the port, but it might take you awhile. Cab is always an option. To get to the start of the Freedom Trail for $2/pp you can take the MBTA "T" Silver Line to South Station and transfer to the Red Line to Park Street, which is near one of the visitor centers on the Freedom Trail. You can wander the Freedom Trail over to Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall. From this area you can take the Freedom Trail through the North End, go to the Aquarium, or take the MBTA water taxi over to the Constitution in Charlestown( this is on the Freedom Trail, but it is a good hike over there). Whenever you've had enough, I would hop a cab back to the pier.

http://www.thefreedomtrail.org

I found a website www.tourfreedomtrail.com that offers guided Freedom Trail tours for just $10 for adults and $6 for children. You can also walk the trail on your own for free but I think that a couple of sites along the trail such as, the Old South Meeting House and the Paul Revere House charge an admission fee. The trail begins at the Boston Common and winds its way through the downtown area, over to Faneuil Hall and the North End and then over to Charlestown where the Bunker Hill Monument is located and the USNS Constitution is docked. IMHO, the Aquarium is very nice but way overpriced. As 138east pointed out, you can walk to these from the port but you will be tired. I would go with the mbta to get there and at the end, a taxi back to the pier. I hope you enjoy your time in Boston.

We took the cruiseline shuttle from the pier to the Quincy market. From there we crossed the street and took the water taxi (right next to the aquarium)across to the Constitution. From there we started walking the trail and followed it back to the market (it was a great day and a great walk). It was very easy to follow the bricks in the road. At the end of the day we got back on the cruise shuttle (at the market) and went back to the pier.

Archived