What to pack for Norway?

This is my first ever post! I have sat on the sidelines of this Cruise Critic Princess Message Board for a few years now, but I have finally plucked up the courage to join the A team!

DH and I are going on the Crown Princess to Norway in July and were wondering what sort of clothes to pack for the day time? We have been to Alaska twice and although we could see snow on the mountains, the fellas got sunburned and looked like the lobsters that they were serving on formal night! Is the Norway weather anything like Alaska? I know that you can't predict the weather (even the Meterological Society gets it wrong!), but any words of wisdom from those in the know who have actually done this cruise would be great thanks.

I have gained so much valuable info from this board over this years that has helped me so much with the cruises that we've taken, and I hope that as I am now a fully fledged (though novice member), I will be able to give something back in return and help others with their questions and queries.

Hi,

Thanks for asking! Norway was one of my favorites, and I am happy to write about it.

Pack layers, for sure, as you would for an Alaska cruise. It can be warm, on a summer day, in towns such as Trondheim and Bergen. You will want to be able to stroll these wonderful towns.

It can be chilly on open decks, when at sea, especially when not in the fjords. The fjords themselves can be chilly, too, although the walls of the fjords generally provide shelter from cold winds and rough seas. You will want to see the beauty of fjords such as Sognefjord and Geirangerfjord from the open decks. A sweater, a sweatshirt, and a jacket would be essential items. I always pack cloth gloves and a knit winter hat, too. I spend lots of time on the open decks.

In the towns of the far north, such as Tromso and Honnigvaag. it can be misty, rainy, and chilly. Don't miss strolling these towns! You will want to have appropriate layers, such as a sweater, sweatshirt, and jacket, for these towns.

(An example of the unexpected things to see in Tromso: in the middle of the town square, there was a large, open rack of fish, drying. From that same square, I could see the marquee of a more upscale theater, which was featuring a live performance of Macbeth!)

I have been on six Alaska cruises, and I always take layers. My packing for Norway was based on this experience, and it did not fail me.

Enjoy!

Thanks so much for your reply and the useful info. Now I feel more like part of the "family" getting a reply to my first post! We have planned some excursions for some of the places that you mention and intend just to do our own thing and "wander around" at others. I think I'll also pack an umbrella - we British never go anywhere without one! I am so looking forward to this trip.

Layers are best. Norway is like Britain. As you know it is anyone`s guess what the weather will be. You can have all four seasons in one day.:eek:

My daughter did the Baltic capitals two years ago and the sun shone the whole time. She was lucky.

We have just had a beautiful weekend and Monday with lovely warm weather, short sleaved weather. This morning I was back in a heavy jacket as it was really cold again.

Edited by caber

If you're going to Bergen, bring an umbrella! When we were in Norway last summer, it was in the 50s and 60s in Flam and Bergen and in the high 70s and sunny in Oslo. Just be ready for about everything.

Les

Layers, layers, layers. You probably won't need sandals. :) I did a "Top of the World" cruise in July three years ago and although we went a lot further north than Princess does, I wore a T-shirt, light sweater and water-repellant jacket most of the time. I also brought a scarf that I could wrap around my head or neck if needed (which it was.) Bergen and Oslo were chilly and rainy. If you do the tour that goes between Geiranger and Hellsylt (which I highly recommend), you go to the top of a very tall mountain where it was in the 30s and very windy.

Edited by Pam in CA

I brought a raincoat on our Norwegian cruise. We had quite a bit of rain during the month of July. We've been to Bergen twice and it's rained both times. It can be muddy when you are on tour so bring some good sturdy walking shoes. I hope you enjoy it and have good weather. It's a truly beautiful country.

while not on a cruise, when I was in Oslo it rained like cats and dogs and Bergen was sunny and beautiful-jeans, t-shirts and layers this time of year. You will LOVE Bergen. If you are wandering around, I recommend the Floibanen, Hanseatic Museum...and St. Mary's church (Mariakirken-Bergen's oldest building) had a free organ concert inside every day at 12 noon. Very zen :D

A good time will be had in Norway, rain or shine!

HomelessBear: Good idea, about taking the umbrella. An umbrella would have been useful for me in Tromso and in Honningsvag:)

Caber: Thanks for mentioning the weather in Scotland. I hope to sail on the Crown Princess's British Isles cruise, and in June, 2011, it will feature four port stops in Scotland. Sounds wonderful!

Pam in CA: I, too, did the tour that goes to the mountain top, near Geiranger. Layers and the umbrella are in order, up there:) I agree with Pam, about this being a recommended tour.

Amberruka: Thanks for mentioning the free organ concert, in the church in Bergen. The old cathedral in Trondheim also had a free organ concert, and also at 12 noon! I discovered this concert by chance, and what a find it was. The organist had actually composed some of the music! Another zen moment:)

I just have to mention another rather poignant moment. My captain on my Norway cruise was Captain Thomson, now retired. He told this story: an elderly British gentleman asked if the captain could point out the exact spot where the battleship Tirpitz had gone down, in the waters off of Tromso. Captain Thomson was able to do this, and the elderly British gentleman then explained that he had been one of the British pilots, who had caught up with the Tirpitz, in 1944, and sank her. What a story! It was especially compelling for me. The Tirpitz was the sister ship of the more famous Bismarck, and in my younger days one of my favorite b & w movies was "Sink the Bismarck".Also in my younger days, I had written a book review about the Tirpitz. What a cruising moment I had, in the waters off of Tromso! It is wonderful how an unexpected travel moment can be one of the most compelling:) Thanks, all, for listening:)

Thanks everyone for your great suggestions. We have booked the Geiranger and Hellsylt trip after reading the positive comments for that excursion from people such as Pam, as well as a few others excursions including the one where you stand with nothing between you and the North Pole (but can't remember the name of the place - must by my age!). Good suggestion of taking an extra pair of walking shoes as it can be muddy - never thought of that. Maybe I should pack extra "proper" shoes rather than sandals as it sounds like I will be using them more. I must admit that I like my summer med cruises as I enjoy being somewhere nice and warm / hot (being from the UK we don't get that much nice hot weather even in the middle of summer), but I am really looking forward to seeing the beautiful scenery in Norway that I have read so much about. Thanks again to all who have offered valuable suggestions.

Hi

Norway is great just do not buy anything,

as to weather we found it T shirt weather throughout our cruises there

mind you those folks from Florida were wrapped up for a trip to the North Pole

yours shogun

Hi Shogun,

So nice to "meet" you after reading so many of your posts in the past!

What do you mean by "do not buy anything"? Is that because everything is so expensive or the quality is not good?

Talking of wrapping up - we were at Ayres Rock and were sweltering in 80 or so degree heat when we saw a local girl sitting on a bench huddled up in thick jumper, dufffle coat and scarf saying that it was "cold for this time of year"! I guess we all experience things differntly and it depends what you are used to!

Hi There Homeless Bear

Quality is excellant have no problem with goods being sold in Norway,

however anything imported is mega expensive, good buys are items

made in Norway, fresh food, fish are excellant think we had coffee in

Bergen at around £5 a cup.

We have always taken a Princess tour some times only for a few hours

great place to visit, best tour was a bus tour took us very high up

into the moutains, into the snow line, massive lunch in a big hotel

over looking a lake.

Have a great cruise

yours shogun

Thanks for your advic e Shogun. We paid 5.25 euros for a small hot chocolate in france recently (whci as you know is about £5 with the rubbish exchange rate we have), so Norway will be on par with that. We have booked a few tours through the ship and am looking forward to seeing the country. I was wondering if Reindeer would be on the menu anywhere (never see it on the Princess menus!)? In Oz, I tried kangaroo (quite nice actually, and sweet). But I couldn't eat a whole one!

• 4 years later...