Capt of the ship

smudgie

Some captains do, others you will probably rarely see unless you attend one of the cocktail parties. There are a few that are much more visable then others. And keep in mind, the ship the love boat was filmed on was a lot smaller than most of the ships of today. :)

Ok you have to remember I have not been on a cruise yet and only know what I have seen on the Love Boat hahahahah...so I have a question...does the Capt walk around and talk to people?

Certainly not as you see on Love Boat. While he has highly compentent staff, he still has a tremendous job to do. I was always wondering who was taking care of Captain Stubbing's responsibilities while he was on his perpetual 'meet and greet'.

You will definitely see the Captain on certain key occasions such as formal nights and the Captain's Circle get-togethers. The other times really depends on the Captain ... some seem to make themselves more visible than others. But remember in ships so vast and large, he may be circulating about and it would be hit and miss if you saw him.

It really depends on the individual Captain. Some are better at passenger interaction then others. Also, many do not speak English as their native language, so they may be uncomfortable talking to mostly English speaking passengers. Captain Ravera of the Ocean Princess is always walking around I would often see him several times a day.

Yes, at least they used to. On our first cruise, my wife and I, dressed in our finest, sat in wait for the Captain to arrive for some sort of reception. A ship's officer came up, and chatted to us for a few minutes, and then disappeared, he turned out of course to be none other than the Captain.:o

john

And I think you'll find that the ships that have a Captain that likes to get and about around his ship are the most "ship-shape". They are not only greeting passengers, they are keeping tabs on their crew too!

Ok you have to remember I have not been on a cruise yet and only know what I have seen on the Love Boat hahahahah...so I have a question...does the Capt walk around and talk to people?

When we were on the Oosterdam last November, we were fortunate to meet the Captain on several occasions as he walked about the ship. He seemed to enjoy meeting the passsengers, shaking hands, and talking for a few minutes. He asked us if we were enjoying the cruise, was there anything he could do to make our on board experience any better, and how was the crew!

We were invited to a bridge tour on the Tahitian Princess ( now the Ocean Princess) in 2008. We were with a group of twelve other invitee-passengers, and the Captain was on the bridge to greet us. Another memorable experience. He answered our questions and gave us a tour of his office. Very, very nice, indeed! When we saw him walking about several days later, he greeted us by name and spent several minutes asking our impression of the tour.

Both were most pleasant and unexpected encounters and did indeed enhance an already wonderful cruise. :)

On the Ruby last week and many other cruises with him Captain Yeomans was very visible and we chatted outside Cafe Caribe near the aft pool. ;)

I agree...we have been on the Ruby twice under Captain Tony Yeomans... he is very visible..and very personable...

On our most recent cruise in March, there was a rather lengthy interview with him playing on the ship's TV... I don't recall that being done on any of our (many) prior princess cruises.

If you take the Ultimate Ship Tour you will neet the Captain on the bridge! The price of the tour was worth that amazing view for sure.

I haven't gone to the champagne waterfall in a while but he may he there as well. I'm sure someone could say better than I could.

For what it is worth, I always look forward to seeing Captain Tony on the ships we work on. He is a great captain, very personable, extremely funny, his crew loves him and he's a pretty good golfer to boot.

Dave

Elua

Archived