Anyone NOT tip extra above the daily service fee?

jennynoel

[quote name='RevNeal']Interesting reading, indeed. When I tip in the Pinnacle I do pretty much the same thing that I do in the main dining room ... I palm it to the stewards who served me. Hence, if someone was watching to see if I had tipped extra they, [B]hopefully[/B], would think I hadn't. :) In-the-flesh aboard ship, tipping is between me and the stewards.

As for going beyond the nominal ship's "service charge," I do it based upon the quality of the service. Only ONCE had I not tipped extra to the cabin and/or dining room stewards. Usually the service is exceptional, and hence -- IMHO -- an extra tip is warranted.[/quote]

Thank you RevNeal, for posting your manner of tipping. As I had previously stated, DH does just as you do - he discreetly passes the gratuity to the steward that served us. He also does the same thing at land-based restaurants, BTW. We feel as you do - that it is a private matter and not something that is intended to be seen or needs to be noted by the other patrons. We both appreciate your comments. :)

[quote name='jtl513']I hated Acapulco. You may love it ... but saying our opinons differ does not mean we are being critical of your opinion or you.[/quote]
The poster asked why was I so negative.....that is what I mean being critical. I really don't care if someone doesn't agree or does agree with it....you don't need to say it's negative because you don't agree. Up until a year ago I would have agreed with you about Acapulco. I took a shore excursion last year that totally changed my mind. I think it is beautiful. I wouldn't have thought so before.

[quote name='hrhdhd']Rev:

Because I have seen your enjoyment of the precise use of language, I just have to ask: if the service is ALWAYS (or always except for once) exceptional, then it's not really [I]exceptional[/I], is it? It's just the level of service on a HAL ship. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Oh, goody ... someone who wants to "play."
Here's a definition of "exceptional," for reference purposes:

[QUOTE]"Exceptional" |ikˈsep sh ənəl| adjectival formation
1. Unusual, not typical, abnormal, unexpected, unequaled, unparalleled, unique
2. extraordinary, remarkable, special, excellent, phenomenal, prodigious, unsurpassed, peerless, matchless, nonpareil, first-rate, first-class; informal: A1, top-notch[/QUOTE]

My usage of the adjective in the cited case is more in-line with the [B]second[/B] selection of synonymous terms, not so much the first. Nevertheless, if compared with the service received on-land or on other cruise Lines, I think the first applies as well.

[quote name='luvs2travl']Thank you RevNeal, for posting your manner of tipping. As I had previously stated, DH does just as you do - he discreetly passes the gratuity to the steward that served us. He also does the same thing at land-based restaurants, BTW. We feel as you do - that it is a private matter and not something that is intended to be seen or needs to be noted by the other patrons. We both appreciate your comments. :)[/QUOTE]

You're welcome. And [B]thank you[/B] for chiming in. I hadn't read close-enough to see your remark, bt I certainly agree with it. To put it simply, it is not possible to tell, with absolute certainty, who tips beyond the Service Charge and who does not. Just because someone doesn't dump some money onto the table or blow a trumpet before themselves, drawing attention to their act of tipping, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

Archived