any beaches near Civitavecchio and Naples and Livorno

queenmargrethe

I'm afraid this may be difficult. Both of these are busy industrial and transportation ports and I think you'll need to travel a fair distance from the port itself before you find a swimming beach. All of the waterfront that I'm familiar with in Naples is rocky, not suitable for swimming or for children playing.

There is a water park near Civitavecchia that several posters have mentioned, although your grandchildren may be too young for that.

Hopefully someone who has done this will chime in.

I live in Naples with young children and I would NOT recommend taking them to the beaches here. The water that would be close to the port area is not safe to swim in for the most part due to contamination; last summer it was almost completely off-limits for the entire summer. I would just stay on the ship with them and let them play in the pool on the ship.

There are several beach resorts south of Civitavecchia that even have real sand, but the water quality is certainly questionable. In order to go the beach from Civitavecchia you would need to rent a car. The more popular beach area would be at Lido de Ostia which is a few miles south of Fiumicino Airport...although we actually enjoyed the town of Fiumicino (very close to the airport) that has a nice seawall, pretty decent beach, and some excellent seafood restaurants. In fact, one of the best meals we have ever had in all of Italy was at one of those seafood restaurants.

Hank

Hello. Santa Marinella is just south of Civitavecchia and Ladispoli is a bit further south. Both have beaches. My husband has family in Rome, and he spent many a childhood summer trip in Ladispoli, although he reports the sand there is black volcanic sand which can get really hot. My son spent the summer with his cousins last year. One of them owned a small vacation home in Santa Marinella, and he reported the beach was "a lot of fun." Not sure about the sand though - I'll ask him when he gets home from school. :)

There is an OK sandy beach at Civitavecchia (keep right after the port shuttle drop off) We used this when our children were small and too young to go into Rome. Civitavecchia has a promenade with some small amusement rides which our children also enjoyed and a nice gelateria opposite the beach. If you don't wish to travel far, Civitavecchia is a pleasant town to spend the day with small children.

Adrian.

You might also want to check with the hotels in the area to see if you can use their pool for a fee. We do this alot when we travel. Sometimes the Spa has the information and sometimes you can get a day rate or a pool rate. Hotels like this because you tend to spend money on their properties. When we were in Sorrento in June/July the water was cold....

Karen

Two years ago we were able to get the shuttle from the ship into town (Piazza de Municipe)- this was a locally run outfit - cost 1 euro. Buy your city bus tickets at the local newsagent/tabacchi shop - was 1.5 euro. Take the bus no 1 from the Piazza Grande on the same side as McDonalds - to Miramare and return. Get off on the way back when you see the beach that you would like to stop at.

Archived