Do you Diet before your cruise?

KevinsCruising

Every cruise I try dieting before the cruise. We cruised twice last year, in March and Oct. March I dieted and lost 20 lbs before the cruise. Pictures on the ship did not show that. :mad:. Oct cruise, I said whats the point and didn't diet at all before. No difference in pictures from March to Oct. Now cruising on May 1st and thinking about trying that 48 hr Hollywood diet. Maybe do it twice before the cruise. Anyone have experience with that one? Maybe whats the point again.:cool:

Every cruise I try dieting before the cruise. We cruised twice last year, in March and Oct. March I dieted and lost 20 lbs before the cruise. Pictures on the ship did not show that. :mad:. Oct cruise, I said whats the point and didn't diet at all before. No difference in pictures from March to Oct. Now cruising on May 1st and thinking about trying that 48 hr Hollywood diet. Maybe do it twice before the cruise. Anyone have experience with that one? Maybe whats the point again.:cool:

It's not about the cruise, it's about a total healthy lifestyle. Not to sound mean but if you lost twenty pounds and cant notice a difference you need to look at a "lifestyle change". Diet is a four letter word.

Good luck.

I tend to try to eat a fairly healthy diet for most of the time, then when life happens ( I go on holiday, have people to stay or go to an event etc). I just eat / drink what I want and start again the next week. It seems that I'm always losing 7 - 14 lbs and putting it back on, but it works for me and I don't feel 'deprived'. At the moment I'm losing the Easter weight!

Haven't heard of the Hollywood diet. What's it all about? Seems like I am always on a diet - cruise or no cruise.

Its a liquid diet that you drink for 48 hrs...nothing else just that. Its comes like in a big gatoraid bottle. Sell it at Walgreens and stores like that. They say 10lbs in 48 hrs...... :rolleyes:

It's not about the cruise, it's about a total healthy lifestyle. Not to sound mean but if you lost twenty pounds and cant notice a difference you need to look at a "lifestyle change". Diet is a four letter word.

Good luck.

Your right with that.....so hard to stick on a normal schedule or diet when you work shift work. Constantly switching back and forth to days and nights on 12 hr schedule....geesh... body don't know when to sleep or be awake, or eat on a regular schedule.

DH and I look at cruises as spa vacations. You can workout whenever you want and the variety of healthy food, that I don't have to prepare, is awesome. DH loves fish, salmon especially, and orders pretty much nothing but seafood the entire trip.

Fresh fruit, lobster, and veggies of every type and variety!

Sure, you can bust a gut on a cruise, but why would you want to?

It seems to me that the simpler the food you get on the cruise, the better it is. Where cruises lose it, in my opinion, is when there are too many sauces or they've messed around with the side dishes too much.

I'm one of those people for whom sugar is an all or nothing proposition. So the only sacrifice I make, is the one I make every day, and that's to not eat sweets.

At any rate, you should enjoy your cruise, and if you eat in moderation, whatever it is that you like to eat, then you shouldn't have to worry about dieting.

Yes...whenever I have a special event I try to shed a few pounds esp. when there is a bathing suit involved. I typically work out 3 days a week but the month before vacation I step it up to 5 days a week. On cruises I try get in runs every day to compensate for all the extra calories I am taking in. Much less guilt that way!!!

In answer to your question....Hell no! If I don't have the battle of the bulge licked before a cruise (which I don't), it's after the cruise I need to get working on it! :eek:

On the other hand, my hubby has made a healthy lifestyle change in his diet due to a health matter last year and stuck to his game plan on our last couple of cruises. He continued to workout everyday and make healthy meal selections, without spoiling his vacation. He only gained 1 lb on our last cruise.

Those crash, liquid diets do nothing more than drop water weight anyways. I certainly wouldn't promote them.

Good luck with your decision and enjoy your cruise Kevin!

Well I have always been up and down with my weight. The BEST thing I have ever done was weight watchers. I swore by my 40th birthday (last year) I would lose the weight. Well one year later and a lot of hard work and exercise and I am 61 pounds lighter :D I am back in a bikini and for the first time in a VERY long time, feel good about myself!! (LOL, i sound like a commerical) but it is true.

The scariest part for me was the first cruise AFTER losing the weight. :eek: I was so scared of gaining. Well I did gain but only 3 pounds and that was with going to the gym every morning. When I got home and started eating normal the weight came right off.

The fad diets don't work. You only end up gaining the weight back once you stop. With weight watchers you are eating normal foods so you don't feel like you are missing anything. You are also making healthier choices.

Good luck to all those trying to lose weight. It is hard but absolutely can be done!! Stay positive and even if you get off track don't worry and jump right back in. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! ;)

Livestrong.com is a good website to use, even if you don't need to lose. You can put in your age/height/weight/activity level, along with how much you want to lose/gain or that you want to maintain your weight, and it will tell you how many calories you need and allow you to keep track of how many you've eaten.

Well, for my health, I am planning Gastric Bypass Surgery late this summer. I've already started a diet plan to help me get ready for the after. I've been doing pretty good at it and hopefully after the surgery I will be used to eating within the Dr's requirements.

I also have a Cruise planned for January 2012 so hopefully I will be in better shape than I was for my last cruise in 2008. I'm glad that they have exercise areas on the POA, and with sightseeing I plan on doing plenty of walking. I'm sure that I will find plenty to eat on the ship that will be good for me and I'm hoping that by going on vacation doesn't sway me from my routine of diet and exercise that I will have to adhere to for the rest of my life. I will have the full support of my girlfriend who is meeting me in Las Vegas, then onto cruising...I'm sure she will keep me on the straight and narrow...lol...

I so much want to be able to enjoy this next cruise without pain and being tired all the time. I don't want to have to wear Plus size clothes anymore, feeling embarrassed by my "fluffyness":cool:, I want to wear normal clothes again:). FYI..I will be going from around 230#:( and will try to get down to 130-135#:) on my 5'1" petite frame.

Right now I have a skinny person inside me screaming to get out!:eek:

Wish me luck!;)

gg

They say 10lbs in 48 hrs...... :rolleyes:

If you're losing 10lbs in 48 hours, then you're just losing water weight. You will put that back on as soon as your crash diet ends.

To really lose weight you have to do 2 things: eat less, exercise more

Its a liquid diet that you drink for 48 hrs...nothing else just that. Its comes like in a big gatoraid bottle. Sell it at Walgreens and stores like that. They say 10lbs in 48 hrs...... :rolleyes:

Honestly, a diet like this will only backfire on you. Sure, you may end up losing 10 lbs, but it's all going to be water weight that you'll gain right back. It's also going to affect your metabolism and potentially cause you to gain even more weight. That's usually what happens with chronic dieters because their metabolisms get so out of whack.

As everyone else said, the best thing to do is make a lifestyle change. It can be done no matter what your circumstances are. You just need to plan properly. Get some exercise in and take some spare time to plan out meals. Always have fresh fruits and veggies and whole grain snacks ready to be eaten whenever hunger strikes. That way you won't be tempted by the quick and easy bag of chips or candy bar.

I agree with OP's in the thread. It's about Lifestyle change. I switched to only 1 glass a wine a week since November and lost 18 pounds. Don't ask how much I was drinking before :) All bets off on the upcoming cruise though......

You guys are all right. I know the fad diets dont work. The cruise is May 1st so not really enough time to even put a dent into it. Like Auntie Barb said, I think I will start after the cruise and start getting into shape for the next one, probably in the fall. This way I will be much healthier with no fad diets.

Thanks guys,

;)

I lost 175lbs all on my own with very little exercise in about 6 months....

Ignore the fad diets or gimicks.... Low Fat, Low Carb, 48 hour diest, atkins, etc.... ALL BS!

It is all about calories. You need to burn more calories than you take in... My body burnt 3000 calories per day doing nothing (you can find that info on the internet - I verifeid it with my body bug).... So I had to take in less calories than that. I would eat 1200 per day and do no exercise at first.... Later in my journey I started walking more with my kids but still never went to a gym.

3000 calories = 1 pound.... I was looseing a little over half a pound per day. Well the first month I only ate 800 calories and I dropped 35 lbs then 25lbs the second month. It took me about 6 months total....

I will confess that I have gained 50lbs back but it has taken me close to 5 years.... I am now on a diet again and I have lost 10lbs in 1 week doing the same thing as before. I need to drop off that 50lbs before my cruise to Alaska in June.... I am sure I will gain 10lbs on the cruise so I better loose 60.... LOL.

You can do it!

I lost 175lbs all on my own with very little exercise in about 6 months....

Ignore the fad diets or gimicks.... Low Fat, Low Carb, 48 hour diest, atkins, etc.... ALL BS!

It is all about calories. You need to burn more calories than you take in... My body burnt 3000 calories per day doing nothing (you can find that info on the internet - I verifeid it with my body bug).... So I had to take in less calories than that. I would eat 1200 per day and do no exercise at first.... Later in my journey I started walking more with my kids but still never went to a gym.

3000 calories = 1 pound.... I was looseing a little over half a pound per day. Well the first month I only ate 800 calories and I dropped 35 lbs then 25lbs the second month. It took me about 6 months total....

I will confess that I have gained 50lbs back but it has taken me close to 5 years.... I am now on a diet again and I have lost 10lbs in 1 week doing the same thing as before. I need to drop off that 50lbs before my cruise to Alaska in June.... I am sure I will gain 10lbs on the cruise so I better loose 60.... LOL.

You can do it!

Absolutely! My stepsister used to be big. Now she's not. This is how she lost the weight. She dropped sixty pounds without doing any real exercise except walking her dog.

3000 calories = 1 pound....

Actually 1 lb is equal to 3,500 calories. But it is an equation of calories in versus calories used. People have different metabolic rates so not every one will burn the same amount of calories doing the same activity.

I try to eat healthy most of the time but for about 6 weeks before a cruise I am especially careful and try to get more walking in to prepare for the activity of the shore excursions. I have found though that the more cruises I take, the less I feel the need to overeat (cruise food and the amount of food available just isn't that amazing to me anymore). However I do like to try local foods and that can be a problem (like gelato etc.).

Actually 1 lb is equal to 3,500 calories. But it is an equation of calories in versus calories used. People have different metabolic rates so not every one will burn the same amount of calories doing the same activity.

Yep... oops. Sorry about the typo. 1lb = 3500 calories.

I found that I learnt to love the gym. I did weight watchers and put half the weight back on so changed my whole lifestyle. Its something I never thought I would enjoy but I love it. I am thinner and have lots more energy so there really are no downsides.

I would love to lose another 10lbs but the scale hasn't changed since the new year so I think I am at my healthy weight.

Instead of dieting before my upcoming cruise I am taking exercise classes so I can tone up for the bikini. For me it makes more sense than losing a few pounds (after all the wobbly bits will still be there even with losing weight).

Archived