How does "Mein Schiff" compare to Celebrity?

F02

I just read that the Galaxy has been renamed "Mein Schiff" and I was wondering how the cruise experience under new management compared to what it used to be. Can anyone share experience?

I just read that the Galaxy has been renamed "Mein Schiff" and I was wondering how the cruise experience under new management compared to what it used to be. Can anyone share experience?

I believe that the Galaxy has undergone extensive renovations but the language on board is German. Most passengers are from German speaking countries, so the atmosphere is definitely completely different. I have never sailed with TUI but have been on Transocean's ASTOR and other German ships. Personally, I find Celebrity more to my taste. Service, variety of food and of course, the rates are more favourable.

"Mein Schiff" is a joint venture between RCI/TUI Travel Germany. The cruises are sold exclusively in the German market, all onboard menus, newsletters, announcements and programming is in German. Menus and dining venues are designed to appeal to the German palate. Entertainment offerings are similar oriented. The cruises are more casual, and wellness oriented. The cruises are not sold by US/Canadian/UK agengies and the website is only available in German ......

Get the picture?

I'd book in a heartbeat as I have several good friends in Germany and can understand enough to get by - the ship is gorgeous!

Thank you all again. It seems that beginning October 27, 2010, "Mein Schiff" will be "all inclusive" except for some specialty restaurants and for expensive wines. The food seems to be quite "sausage oriented". Hammocks on balconies - well, I hope for the cruise line that no one will get hurt and that if someone was insured that if the company was taken to court it would not be in the U.S.

Archived