Whats the point in complaining?

Give them a little more time then follow up, follow up, follow up.

I have given them years, I have never gotten a reply. We left specific incidents on our customer service card and never have heard a response. It would have been nice to have someone contact us for clarification. Our comments were never nasty, just factual. No, we didn't want anything for our comments, just acknowledgment. We always leave positive feedback and feedback for small improvements. For example, one cruise the kids club activities were not held several times. They were cancelled before the kids even had time to arrive or cancelled even if there were 15 or so kids around.

I have given them years, I have never gotten a reply. We left specific incidents on our customer service card and never have heard a response. It would have been nice to have someone contact us for clarification. Our comments were never nasty, just factual. No, we didn't want anything for our comments, just acknowledgment. We always leave positive feedback and feedback for small improvements. For example, one cruise the kids club activities were not held several times. They were cancelled before the kids even had time to arrive or cancelled even if there were 15 or so kids around.

I'm sorry to hear that, that's really annoying. We've only had a problem with them once that required an after cruise complaint and they responded quickly and satisfactorily. Maybe we just got lucky.

My first RCI cruise is pending. It's good to know RCI has comment cards on board. Princess also has comment cards.

I know from personal experience that they are an effective tool for correcting bad behavior.

I've often used them to highlight "above and beyond" performance. The crew member's are very appreciative of those.

about "thousands of complaints"...my beautiful bride worked in customer service for 20 years...yes, there can be lots of complaints for any large corporation...but DW drew the distinction between "complaints" and valid complaints...in our time aboard cruise ships, we have heard lots of complainers, but few valid complaints...and would anyone know the number of customers that RCI serves each and every week worldwide...i'll wager that there are a few complainers amoung the lot...

If you want to corrrect an issue with "rude and arrogant staff", there's a method that results in instant behavior correction:

Write a note to the Hotel Manager. Briefly describe the behavior and identify the offender(s) by name. That is quick and effective.

I was on Majesty in 2003 when I "met" a waiter at the pool bar who took an interest in me. (I'll tell you how I knew he was a waiter later) Well, sufficient to say, the feeling was not mutual. Anyway, somehow he got a hold of my cabin number and called me at about 2:00 in the morning. My belief is that anytime you get a call that early (or late) in the morning then it's an emergency. I jumped out of bed and answered the phone. It was this guy. I told him not to call my cabin again and if he did that I was going to report him. Apparently, he thought I was joking because he rang my cabin maybe 8 to 10 times in the span of 1/2 hour:mad:. The next evening I was at dinner and lo and behold I see him waiting tables.:eek: I had known the head waiter from a cruise on Majesty 2 years prior and he had been on the ship each time I returned. After dinner, I pulled the head waiter aside and told him what had happened. He asked if I was sure it was this guy and I said I was. He had given me his name when he called. He said that he would take care of the situation. I was never bothered by this particular waiter again during my cruise. Which was a good thing because I was sailing B2B on that particular cruise. So, I think that if you have a complaint that you want to have rectified immediately, don't wait until you get the comment card or even once you get home, take it up with someone right then, and it might make for a better cruise for you. JMHO.

That being said, I am sorry that the OP had a bad cruise.

P.S. I hope they got rid of this guy because I think he was a recipe for danger.

I was on Majesty in 2003 when I "met" a waiter at the pool bar who took an interest in me. (I'll tell you how I knew he was a waiter later) Well, sufficient to say, the feeling was not mutual. Anyway, somehow he got a hold of my cabin number and called me at about 2:00 in the morning. My belief is that anytime you get a call that early (or late) in the morning then it's an emergency. I jumped out of bed and answered the phone. It was this guy. I told him not to call my cabin again and if he did that I was going to report him. Apparently, he thought I was joking because he rang my cabin maybe 8 to 10 times in the span of 1/2 hour:mad:. The next evening I was at dinner and lo and behold I see him waiting tables.:eek: I had known the head waiter from a cruise on Majesty 2 years prior and he had been on the ship each time I returned. After dinner, I pulled the head waiter aside and told him what had happened. He asked if I was sure it was this guy and I said I was. He had given me his name when he called. He said that he would take care of the situation. I was never bothered by this particular waiter again during my cruise. Which was a good thing because I was sailing B2B on that particular cruise. So, I think that if you have a complaint that you want to have rectified immediately, don't wait until you get the comment card or even once you get home, take it up with someone right then, and it might make for a better cruise for you. JMHO.

P.S. I hope they got rid of this guy because I think he was a recipe for danger.

WOW! I thought it was "forbidden" for crew to "mingle" with the passengers. Were you cruising alone? That would probably freak me out, and I am happy to cruise with DH by my side. Glad you were able to get it taken care of.

We filled out our comment card and the last cruise, Easter on the Jewel of the Seas, and had a few negative things to say. Two days later we got an e-mail asking us to give them a call, when we wanted to, to talk about this. The person on the phone was very nice and was shocked and a couple of the things we had to say. I thought it was nice of them to care. And in case you want to know what bothered us, they wouldn't let you on the ship if you didn't use Purell. And the scanners took away my husband's one inch swiss army knife but left my two inch scissor. Thanks, Lynda

ps. don't flame me but not letting you on the ship if you don't use Purell is just crazy. You could get on the ship and cough into your hand and touch a rail or button and what good would the Purell do then.

The same thing happened to me after I sent an e-mail a complaint on our Nov '08 cruise. I didn't even get a generic apology...it's like my feedback was just pushed aside. It's disappointing = (. I'm in the hotel industry and we reply back to all negative comments we receive b/c we care about if someone has a negative experience--it's a great learning tool.

I've had responses - not always quickly, but they should respond. They take it seriously.

Fran in Toronto

My hunch would be the guy lost his job. At the moment there is pretty much a zero tolerance policy, even if the feeling *is* mutual. Staff/crew and pax can interact, but NOT get into a relationship while on board.

I met a woman on a cruise three years ago who was being harassed by another passenger. She was travelling alone and was really upset. We tried to convince her that calling security was NOT being a complainer. In the end, we told the headwaiter on her behalf...

Fran in Toronto

Hmmm, one would think that there might just be a few problems that need addressing if there are literally thousands of complaints - starting with actually acknowledging and responding to those complaints. :rolleyes:
Considering the number of cruisers they have in a year, even if 99% of the people were happy, it could still generate thousands of complaints.

After a below par cruise, with some rude and arrogant staff amongst other things, besides filling in my guest survey, I emailed a complaint. I recieved an instant reply to say it would take 48 hours for someone to respond....

(its been a week now...)

I guess I will never get a reply! Anyone else had the same??

My BIL complained and got a response . They also got a time limited

OBC for a cruise.;)

Archived