Is the Money Bar good for this group?

Razberryt

We are planning a cruise in January 2011. First one for all of us. The group includes:

1. DH - Wants to be busy all the time, certified Scuba diver and wants to dive
  2. ME - Not so adventurous, but wants to try snorkeling, but won't go without DH! Also, would enjoy a massage
  3. DD (age 9) - Loves to snorkel in the pool, so will want to snorkel. Will also want to do anything and everything she sees that has to do with the water
  4. DD (age 3) - Need I say more? Will enjoy sand, water, whatever just so she's mobile and busy
  5. My Mom - Not a water or beach lover. MIGHT get her to do a massage
  6. My Grandma - We won't put an age for these last two, but neither will want to snorkel or really hang out at the beach too much. Will enjoy shopping.

There may be a few other travelers if we can get them to sign on, but they will be similar to the range of tastes listed above.

I was checking out the options at the Money Bar and thought it might serve us well. I'm concerned about Paradise Beach because I think the "toys" they have there would be so enticing for my kids, but I don't know if I would trust them to be able to use them safely at their ages, esp. the 3YO, but even the 9YO.

Also, I should note, no one on the trip drinks alcohol at all, so spending $$ for an AI wouldn't be necessary. Plus, my husband is a VERY picky eater and NEVER eats Mexican food. Does the Money Bar have a burger/fries meal?

I was hoping that we could get everyone to agree to go to the beach first (wherever we choose) and stay put at least until I get my chance to snorkel. That way some of the crew can watch the three year old while I do it. After that, I figure the "beach bummers" can leave and do their shopping and we can all meet back on ship??

We're sailing on Carnival Triumph and I have NO idea how to find out where it docks and how close it is to the Money Bar or anything else for that matter! : )

Your DH will love the snorkeling. Some of the closest to the reef. Dive boats often go there. You too. They have some watertoys, not exactly sure what now. And a kids menu. and massages. They have a website that's been updated. http://moneybarbeachclub.com/index.htm

it's a good bet. I like PB, but it's not a snorkeling beach.

We went to the Money bar on 4/12/10, and had a great time. We Purchased one of there packages when we arrived, that was on there web site. There is no sandy beach for the kids to wade in or walk into. You have do go down some slippery rocky area which has a hand rail, I am glad I had water shoes on. We had a snorkel guide who brought food along to feed & attract the fish, and we followed him. I didn’t see any great coral or reef where we were but it was fine for us, lots of colorful fish. There was boats of people who came and were snorkeling out a bit further then where our guide took us. We had to climb up a steep ladder to get out of the water.

There are lots of chairs, some with umbrellas. The chairs are in a made sand area above a stone wall. Kids could have fun playing in this sand but it does not connect to the water.

For food we had a rotisserie chicken and a chicken sandwich, it was ok but nothing special. I think they had burgers also. We had a coke with that. Later on we enjoyed our cocktail at the bar which is a nice big grass hut building open to the ocean air.

Now for the best part. We each had a beach massage. It was the best massage I ever had. She had just the right firm pressure, the sound of the birds and the ocean air breeze going across you was wonderful, out in the open air under a form of tent, you can have the flaps open or shut. Open was great. Well worth the price. It is set way off the the left side.

The place was quiet, not crowded at all. Very peaceful, and pleasant. I did not see any water toys. The current moves you along swiftlty, so I would not let a child in the water alone. You can sit in or out of the sun. Out side or in the bar and still see everything going on. There is a restroom, and shower.

Towels are $2 each to rent.

From the Carnival ship we first took a taxi to town for $7 for shopping. From town we took a taxi to the Money bar for $8.00. We docked at Purta Maya, the money bar is to the right, town is to the left. Neithor is very far, maybe a few miles max, but you need a cab. About $7 each way to Money bar.

Remember the strong sun burns you even on an overcast day while snorkeling. We enjoyed our day at the Money bar.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from the Money Bar and loved it. Yes, they had burgers and fries as well as chicken sandwhices and non-mexican food and a kids menu. Snorkeling was good...but I did get several stings from tiny Jelly Fish. They did not leave a mark...but I definately felt their stings. There is a non-sandy area in the shade for those who do not want to do the beach. There is no shopping near by. We too had the massages and they were great. We pruchased the massage package and lunch...$35.00. they charge $30 just for the massage if you just show up there. The package included unlimited ice tea or water or one soda and a cocktail of your choice. We brought our own snorkel gear.

We just got back from the Money Bar and loved it. Yes, they had burgers and fries as well as chicken sandwhices and non-mexican food and a kids menu. Snorkeling was good...but I did get several stings from tiny Jelly Fish. They did not leave a mark...but I definately felt their stings. There is a non-sandy area in the shade for those who do not want to do the beach. There is no shopping near by. We too had the massages and they were great. We pruchased the massage package and lunch...$35.00. they charge $30 just for the massage if you just show up there. The package included unlimited ice tea or water or one soda and a cocktail of your choice. We brought our own snorkel gear.

Realmccoy, how was the snorkeling from shore? We have our own gear, so I'm not sure if we need to pay for the guided snorkel, or if we could just go out on our own.

• 2 weeks later...

The guy who responded was very nice. He explained that they do offer the different packages, but that they usually do not offer a separate children's package, however he is considering it in the future.

Also, told me that they do have American fare on the menu. Turns out he's a native of Georgia.

This seems like a nice spot to jump in and snorkel without a boat ride.

• 3 weeks later...

I had went to there website and emailed them several questions a few times before we went in April, they were great about answering questions promptly. You may want to try that. We found them to very nice friendly staff when we arrived.

Archived