Grand Cayman building a dock for cruise ships

dafuser

Looks like Grand Cayman is going to build a pier for cruise ships to dock, no more tendering by 2012?

http://www.compasscayman.com/caycompass/2010/04/16/Cruise-berth-deal-signed/

Considering the number of ships that moor off Georgetown on a regular basis that's going to need to be one big pier to accomodate them all!

There's often five ships at Georgetown so taking care of them all will be a tall order. I'd expect at least two ships at a time tendering...

:)

Will be interesting to see what the final design looks like, and where it will be located. As seen in other ports, sometimes building a pier doesn't actually make things more convenient unless you only like walking around the shops at the port. For example, people complain about the long tender ride into Belize. Now they are building a pier way out in the middle of nowhere, and people will end up taking a bus to get to where the tenders let you off. What's the difference LOL?

"construct the enhanced port facilities in George Town by reclaiming land from the sea adjacent to the port, construct two finger piers – one of which will be able to accommodate the massive Oasis class ships - and develop infrastructure."

One more reason not to go to Grand Cayman.

There were 4 ships in port the last time we were in Grand Cayman -- and just walking up and down the streets was an adventure (dodging the mass of humanity). Agreed - if the Oasis, and other HUGE ships, end up docking there, then just count me out! You can go to Hell without even taking a cab there! :eek:

Has anyone heard more on the Belize pier? It has been an on/off affair for a few years now.

Tom

I was there a week ago and there were 6 ships in the port. I was on the century. there were two carnival ships, a NCL ship a costas ship and one I didn't know what kind of ship it was. I also didn't walk around because of the huge crowd.

I was there a week ago and there were 6 ships in the port. I was on the century. there were two carnival ships, a NCL ship a costas ship and one I didn't know what kind of ship it was. I also didn't walk around because of the huge crowd.

We were on the Century as well - you can see her in this pic we took from the Hard Rock Cafe (GREAT wings there BTW)!!

776695787_69Wt3-M.jpg

776695512_LWQQa-M.jpg

776696638_4MKDY-M.jpg

Tom

People crack me up......2 Conquest class ships hold more then one Oasis......I would rather be in port with the Oasis........they all can't be there at the same time:rolleyes:

Unless the pier is LARGE, you can bet though that if the Oasis is there when you are THEY WILL BE DOCKED, increasing the likelihood that you will (still) tender.

Nonetheless, you are correct --- it all adds up!

Tom

Now they are building a pier way out in the middle of nowhere, and people will end up taking a bus to get to where the tenders let you off. What's the difference LOL?

The difference is that you will not have the stop cancelled because of high seas. We were in GC 12/07 and saw ship after ship sail away because of rough seas. We (Golden Princess) and another ship ( I think the Mariner of the Seas) were the only ones able to tender and only then because we made it to Hook Bay, which is more or less no longer available for tendering.

We saw waves crashing over the tender pier in town

Never understood why Grand Cayman is so populare as a port.

Been there several times did a tour, the sub a couple of beaches and now not much reason to go back.

From what I hear (I don't do either)...great place to snorkel or scuba....

thought they had a very shallow reef to deal with? Hope they don't damage the reef for a pier. that would be sad.

Perhaps it is not being built at the downtown area....but on the other side where ships have to go sometimes if it is to windy to get folks back onboard???

Perhaps it is not being built at the downtown area....but on the other side where ships have to go sometimes if it is to windy to get folks back onboard???
Quote from the article:

DECCO was chosen in November last year to design, develop, finance and construct the enhanced port facilities in George Town by reclaiming land from the sea adjacent to the port, construct two finger piers – one of which will be able to accommodate the massive Oasis class ships - and develop infrastructure.

Of course since it is a non-binding understanding, not a contract, don't hold your breath. This is about the third time I can remember during the last 10 years or so something like this has been up in the news. Still no dock.

Enjoy

Ron

Not sure where I would see it being that much different from St Maarten. We were just there in March on their busiest day, 7 ships in port, including the OASIS. It was extremely busy but I much prefer being able to walk, even through congested areas vs ever being on a tender again. Not to mention how often ports can be missed when tendering becomes an issue in bad weather.

http://www.caymannewsservice.com/headline-news/2010/04/15/cruise-port-open-2012

It's funny, the current government dropped the last plans to build a pier, which were started by a previous regime. Since the figures came out showing a drop in cruise tourism for GC, they are all of the sudden very hot to get it built during their term.

Enjoy

Ron

The difference is that you will not have the stop cancelled because of high seas. We were in GC 12/07 and saw ship after ship sail away because of rough seas. We (Golden Princess) and another ship ( I think the Mariner of the Seas) were the only ones able to tender and only then because we made it to Hook Bay, which is more or less no longer available for tendering.

We saw waves crashing over the tender pier in town

True, but the weather that prevents them from tendering might also prevent the ship from docking, especially if there is a narrow channel and a reef to deal with.

Looks like Grand Cayman is going to build a pier for cruise ships to dock, no more tendering by 2012?

http://www.compasscayman.com/caycompass/2010/04/16/Cruise-berth-deal-signed/

That's nice, but what's the problem with tendering? I enjoyed the transfer from the Conquest to the smaller ship in 2006. I suppose this means there will be less port cancellation due to weather.

Tendering in is a pleasant change of pace from the huge ship - sort of a mini-excursion!

Archived