Go away volcanic ash!!!

cruzy-sue

Right now, it all depends on the wind. If currents shift and start blowing the ash cloud down towards Spain, Barcelona could be affected.

No need to worry yet - but definitely keep an eye on your airline for updates, particularly if you connect in another European city beforehand.

Has anyone heard if Barcelona is likely/not likely to affected by the volcano? We fly there on the 29th and I am concerned.

I've looked at the predicted position of the jetstream through the 24th. It looks less and less like places south of the Alps will much be affected. Britain, northern Germany and Scandinavia will continue to be affected if the volcano continues erupting. A strong jetstream will set up by next Thursday, carrying whatever ash there is towards a Glasgow-Hamburg-Gdansk-Moscow line. Spain's weather will be coming up from the Azores. It's too early to tell about the 29th, but Barcelona may escape the ash. I wouldn't be surprised if airports in southern Europe are jammed with travelers trying to get out of Europe, though.

Dear friends:

Greetings from Madrid.

The ash has reached us in Spain. Today, and until further notice, Barcelona and 10 other airports in Northern Spain are CLOSED.

Madrid is still open, but with massive cancellations.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

All Spanish airports are open. It´s not likely the cloud reaches us, unless the weather changes. There´re not forecasts indicating this might happen in the short term.

So relax and enjoy. My girlfriend has just returned from Barcelona this morning. And of course there´s not ash anywhere in the city.

The ash delayed our departure from Barcelona by only one day.

People booked on the Oceania cruise were assisted wonderfully with a bus, hotel, meals, flights re-booked, the whole nine yards.

Peole booked on other cruise lines (Carnival Jade was one) were given no assistance, but weren't expecting any either.

The airlines varied in their levels of assistance to Barcelona passengers.

Just another reason to consider trip insurance, I suppose.

And you can't 'see' the ash cloud.

Archived