BEWARE of Pay Phones in St. Martin

Sanlin

We were there recently and DD's ATT I Phone did not work on the island or on the ship. While shopping, needed to make a call to check on results of a surgery. One store let us try their phone and surgery was not over. Being anxious, Joe's Jewelry told us the pay phones were cheap. 99 cents the first minute and $1.50 after that. Made a few calls checking up further and still no answer. Got back on the ship and my lowly Sprint phone had a connection and all was well.

HOWEVER.....the one minute phone calls from the pay phones on the island were billed at $40.00 or more each. Credit card company - no help and the pay phone company only offered a $50.00 discount.

BEWARE ....amazingly same scam was just reported on the news in Orlando where local calls on a pay phone credit card were $25.00 and up.

We were there recently and DD's ATT I Phone did not work on the island or on the ship...

Before you cruise be sure to call your cell phone company and have them enable international roaming. If it isn't enabled then your phone will likely not make nor receive calls out of the country. It is very difficult to get turned on once you are already out of the country - much easier when you're still at home. Even if you've done this a long time ago it sometimes gets disabled (I don't know why) so I always check before we go. There is no charge for this - there is only a charge if you select a discount plan with a minimum or monthly fee. You can also check your phone company's web site to see if your phone will work on the islands, or countries, or ships, you'll visit as well as the cost in these locations.

Archived