Tipping and Cruising?

LilTink13

My husband and I are first time cruisers... headed to Eastern Medit on Celebrity's Equinox in June. What is the standard for tipping? Who do we tip, when do we tip them, and how much is normal? Thanks for any information and advice!!

Also if anyone has any information... we are doing a pre stay in Rome and were hoping to bring on a bottle of wine we purchased there in celebration our first night? Is this allowed on Celebrity?

Thanks ahead of time for the information and suggestions! :confused:

From Celebrity's website ... I always give the recommended gratuities at a minimum unless there is some serious issue.

Gratuities

For your convenience, we will automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard Seapass account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion: $11.50 per person per day for guests in staterooms ($12.00 per person per day for guests in Concierge Class and AquaClass staterooms and $15.00 per person per day for guests in Suites). These service gratuities are based on the following recommended amounts:

Restaurant Service* Per Person Per Day

Waiter $3.65

Assistant Waiter $2.10

Dining Room Management $1.00

Stateroom Service* Per Person Per Day

Butler (Suites Only) $3.50

Stateroom Service $3.50 ($4.00 for Concierge Class and AquaClass staterooms)

Alternative Service*

Other Service Personnel $1.25

Beverage Service personnel are acknowledged with a 15% service charge which will be automatically added to the bill.

Go to your local library or do some internet research for tipping in the countries you are visiting also. In some countires, it is an insult to tip.

This suggestion is above and beyong what you do on the ship. I'm talking about tippping when off the ship on excursions, maybe post or pre cruise hotel, taxis, restraunts, etc,etc.

I guess your post got two interpretations.

SilentBob007 gave you most of the info for shipboard tipping. Other than what he listed, if you get room service, a few dollar tip to the person who delivers the item(s) to your cabin should be tipped then and there. Otherwise, there is a standard amount charged to everyone aboard for the routine stuff -- you can tip more or less, but you have to work that out at Guest Services so they either don't deduct anything so you can use cash, or increase the amount. Please be aware that the crew is paid on the presumption that they will be getting these tips, and just like waiters and waitresses, they are underpaid because the expect to be getting tips.

As for ashore, do check local customs. Many places in Europe automatically charge the country's standard tip amount, so be sure that when you pay your bill in a restaurant, etc., that you know whether it has been added already.

This is great information! I definately appreciate it! We are going to Italy, Greece, and Turkey with the cruise... afterwards we are headed further up Italy, France, Belgium, and Amsterdam... we will definately be looking up some information on tipping/etiquette due to your suggestions!

I am so excited to embark on my first cruise! If anyone else has any other tips/tidbits regarding the aforementioned material or otherwise, please feel free to add!

Archived